Misdirected Anger

tsarcasm

The Fire Mike Smith movement is still going strong today. That sentiment is misdirected. There was great anticipation of success for this franchise heading into 2013 and a slow start, coupled with a continuation of 2nd half struggles, has left fans disappointed early on.

The prevailing sentiment is that Mike Smith's early-career conservative nature has influenced the team's current emotional makeup. That is flawed reasoning. Our early season struggles are due to a lack of depth, that when paired with numerous injuries, has left the team undermanned. In addition, offensive struggles and player self-doubt that plagued the 2011 playoff game versus the Giants, are still surfacing at inopportune moments.

Where the anger and disapointment should reside is with Thomas Dimitroff. In the past 3 drafts, not only has Dimitroff traded away a full draft worth of picks to move up higher, he has also spent half of the teams draft value on just 2 players. While CB was an area of critical need and importance, the same cannot be said for WR.

Julio Jones - 2011 1st, 2011 2nd, 2011 4th, 2012 1st & 2012 4th

Desmond Trufant - 2012 1st, 2013 3rd & and 2013 6th.

That approach, while getting a bona fide star in Jones and great prospect in Trufant, has left the team woefully thin and untalented in other areas. That kind of approach really ties the hands of a head coach.

I firmly believe Smith is getting as much out of his charges as any coach in the league.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the approach you outlined is based having several full drafts

In a row and feeling there is a larger need for quality than quantity. Some

players may not be progressing as projected. DeCoud for example seems

to have lost his way. The o-line is still a work in progress or as some would say

needs to be blown up. Things aren't right up front in any event but we have

spent high enough draft picks on them for the problem to be solved. We had

picks enough but the jury is still out on who we picked in some cases.

Edited by HOYLE

I was on the fire coach Smith bandwagon after the Miami beating but have to retract that. After watching the game again, thank goodness for DVR, the players simply were not exicuting in the second half from the offense said of the ball mostly. Like I've stated before, the defense is what it is not great but not bad either, they just need our offense, who is to be the bread and butter of this team, perform up to their talent level. If this team plays with a chip on their shoulder and goes out to smack someone in the mouth they can beat anybody.

Like I've stated before, the defense is what it is not great but not bad either, they just need our offense, who is to be the bread and butter of this team, perform up to their talent level. If this team plays with a chip on their shoulder and goes out to smack someone in the mouth they can beat anybody.

that's my thing. if this offense performs up to its potential and becomes a real high powered scoring machine, we've Denver at worst and wouldn't really have to worry bout defense

TD has definitely put the team in a bad place with his complete failure to address the lines. He has got to stop trading away picks every draft. I can see it occasionally, but to do it consistently is a recipe for disaster. But, even with the lack of depth, we have still been in position to win these games. Its been the coaching that has lost the games. Not the lack of depth. offensive play calling against the dolphins in the red zone was pathetic. clock management, etc. etc.

Edited by <~MEAT GOAT~>

TD has definitely put the team in a bad place with his complete failure to address the lines. He has got to stop trading away picks every draft. I can see it occasionally, but to do it consistently is a recipe for disaster. But, even with the lack of depth, we have still been in position to win these games. Its been the coaching that has lost the games. Not the lack of depth. offensive play calling against the dolphins in the red zone was pathetic. clock management, etc. etc.

The notion that TD has neglected the lines is simply false. 1st rounder on Baker (whom we traded up for) 2nd rounder or Konz (who was the Highest rated center in his draft) a 3rd on Holmes (who is playing out of his natural position). Maybe these guys aren't playing up to expectations but TD has used plenty of draft picks on the o line.

The d line in similar. A 1st on Jerry, a 3rd on Peters, acquisition of Deadwards and Osi, Sidbury, Massaquoi is contributing, Matthews has played quite a bit (pretty good for a 7th rounder), and Goodman is playing as a rookie. Maybe these guys haven't been developed in the past or maybe they weren't that good to start, IDK, but simply stating the lines have been ignored isn't true.

Stop with the excuses.

The notion that TD has neglected the lines is simply false. 1st rounder on Baker (whom we traded up for) 2nd rounder or Konz (who was the Highest rated center in his draft) a 3rd on Holmes (who is playing out of his natural position). Maybe these guys aren't playing up to expectations but TD has used plenty of draft picks on the o line.

The d line in similar. A 1st on Jerry, a 3rd on Peters, acquisition of Deadwards and Osi, Sidbury, Massaquoi is contributing, Matthews has played quite a bit (pretty good for a 7th rounder), and Goodman is playing as a rookie. Maybe these guys haven't been developed in the past or maybe they weren't that good to start, IDK, but simply stating the lines have been ignored isn't true.

This. And Blalock was locked up by TD, a former 2nd rounder

The Fire Mike Smith movement is still going strong today. That sentiment is misdirected. There was great anticipation of success for this franchise heading into 2013 and a slow start, coupled with a continuation of 2nd half struggles, has left fans disappointed early on.

The prevailing sentiment is that Mike Smith's early-career conservative nature has influenced the team's current emotional makeup. That is flawed reasoning. Our early season struggles are due to a lack of depth, that when paired with numerous injuries, has left the team undermanned. In addition, offensive struggles and player self-doubt that plagued the 2011 playoff game versus the Giants, are still surfacing at inopportune moments.

Where the anger and disapointment should reside is with Thomas Dimitroff. In the past 3 drafts, not only has Dimitroff traded away a full draft worth of picks to move up higher, he has also spent half of the teams draft value on just 2 players. While CB was an area of critical need and importance, the same cannot be said for WR.

That approach, while getting a bona fide star in Jones and great prospect in Trufant, has left the team woefully thin and untalented in other areas. That kind of approach really ties the hands of a head coach.

I firmly believe Smith is getting as much out of his charges as any coach in the league.

The problem is that many on this board. media. and Falcon Management have OVERRATED this team BEFORE there were any injuries. Our line up consisted of rookies, old pro bowlers ( on their last legs),some perennial backups , underachievers ,a cobbled together O line and just enough ELITE players to gloss the the holes and weakness that we are seeing now. You can paint a turd but its still a turd and I feel this has been done to perfection in ATL. They had everyone buying it. Now add in a little bonehead coaching here and there and we are left where we are, which is about where we should be. Over expectations lead to knee jerk reactions. Even with a healthy roster we just are not good enough and I'll leave it at that.

The problem is that many on this board. media. and Falcon Management have OVERRATED this team BEFORE there were any injuries. Our line up consisted of rookies, old pro bowlers ( on their last legs),some perennial backups , underachievers ,a cobbled together O line and just enough ELITE players to gloss the the holes and weakness that we are seeing now. You can paint a turd but its still a turd and I feel this has been done to perfection in ATL. They had everyone buying it. Now add in a little bonehead coaching here and there and we are left where we are, which is about where we should be. Over expectations lead to knee jerk reactions. Even with a healthy roster we just are not good enough and I'll leave it at that.

That is one way of looking at it. If I thought that is what we have I would sign off and be done

with it. You are not even close to having it right. We are going to be a juggernaut before this

season is over. Why would we be setting low expectations. We were 13-3 last year and brought

in some "help" to move us to the next level.

And this is the only other theory I will subscribe to. It's either this or Smith is not getting his team prepared good enough mentally to play at least 3 and a half quarters

So, 3 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd, 2 4ths and a 6th.

TD got back 2 1sts in those trades.

1 st, a 2nd, a 3rd, 2 4ths and a 6th.

TD got several low round comp picks to balance out the 6th.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2 4ths.

TD got a 3rd and a 4th comp pick last 3 years

1st, 2nd, 4th

TD got a pair of 5th round picks and a 7th back in a trade [ not included in the comp picks mentioned earlier], think that balances out the 4th

So, that leaves a 1st and 2nd he traded for Jones.

I'm OK with that.

Falcons have lost, since TC- starting RT, starting RB, starting FB, starting DE, starting LB- the starting LT, CB are/have been missing, got a hobbled starting WR, got another LB coming back from groin surgery- that's 10 starting players missing or playing hurt.

How many teams have the quality depth to replace 10 starters?

Could be a ridiculous endzone threat if we utilize him like we should. Not many people going to out jump that guy.

Which begs the question, why are we having such a problem scoring TD's in the Red Zone? We have so many weapons to go to and one of the best QB's in the league. Could it be that difficult to come up with a half-dozen creative plays to get any of these WR's the ball in the end zone? If our coaching staff can't figure this out, they need to GTFOH now. Sorry, I haven't taken my medication yet this afternoon.

Which begs the question, why are we having such a problem scoring TD's in the Red Zone? We have so many weapons to go to and one of the best QB's in the league. Could it be that difficult to come up with a half-dozen creative plays to get any of these WR's the ball in the end zone? If our coaching staff can't figure this out, they need to GTFOH now. Sorry, I haven't taken my medication yet this afternoon.

Yep. The shovel pass to Snelling seems to work a lot. Wonder why we have no other tricks in the bag? Where's the fade to Julio? That fake screen to drew Davis last year (or the year before I don't remember) was pretty sweet.

Yep. The shovel pass to Snelling seems to work a lot. Wonder why we have no other tricks in the bag? Where's the fade to Julio? That fake screen to drew Davis last year (or the year before I don't remember) was pretty sweet.

If the Falcons braintrust would just do some research, there are plays this team has already used successfully that they haven't brought out of the toolbox again. It's inexcusable to have a drive fizzle inside the 5-yard-line because the play-calling was so wretched and predictable even a team loaded with offensive talent and top QB can't get a TD but about half of the time. This is on the offensive coordinator. The job Dirk Koetter is doing with this offense isn't cutting it, especially in scoring situations.

Think there's a really simple explanation- the Oline. Smith, Koetter & Ryan just don't trust them to keep Ryan upright in the red zone.

Think they're afraid to have any plays that take time to develop because they're afraid Ryan will get killed.

Last year Ryan threw 26 of 32 TD passes in the red zone, so this isn't a long term problem. My hope is that the Oline gets its act together, a reasonable hope, and that they start calling more creative red zone plays soon.

If the Falcons braintrust would just do some research, there are plays this team has already used successfully that they haven't brought out of the toolbox again. It's inexcusable to have a drive fizzle inside the 5-yard-line because the play-calling was so wretched and predictable even a team loaded with offensive talent and top QB can't get a TD but about half of the time. This is on the offensive coordinator. The job Dirk Koetter is doing with this offense isn't cutting it, especially in scoring situations.

Totally agree. Kutty needs to step it up a notch.

Think there's a really simple explanation- the Oline. Smith, Koetter & Ryan just don't trust them to keep Ryan upright in the red zone.

Think they're afraid to have any plays that take time to develop because they're afraid Ryan will get killed.

Last year Ryan threw 26 of 32 TD passes in the red zone, so this isn't a long term problem. My hope is that the Oline gets its act together, a reasonable hope, and that they start calling more creative red zone plays soon.

That still doesn't make sense to me because they're not afraid of Ryan getting killed outside the redzone (at least they don't act like it). I think the main problem is Roddy and tony not being 100% and subsequently having problems creating mismatches in the redzone. JMO.