The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Heisenberg

richardc

The Good, The Bad & the Ugly - Week 3

Heisenberg

For those of you who haven't tuned into AMC's popular show Breaking Bad, it's a story of an average man who is given a terminal death sentence by his doctor due to cancer. His wife is pregnant and his high school son has cerebral palsy. He is a high school chemistry teacher and lives paycheck to paycheck. His name is Walter and Walter decides to change things.

You might say he took a page straight out of Sun Tzu's Art of War where he tells his reader to "put your men in a position where they can not lose." He goes on to clarify his meaning by saying "put them with their backs against the high tide or a cliff where they either fight and win or die. This is a position where you cannot lose."

Walter found himself in a position where he could not lose. He was already dying so breaking the law and spending time in jail meant little to him. He risked everything and he fought and he won.

During this story, Walter White the teacher, father and husband develops an alter ego, a persona that he calls "Heisenberg." Heisenberg does what is necessary. Heisenberg goes toe-to-toe with some very bad people and wins out using the skills he has available to him... chemistry. NOTE: this is another principle of Sun Tzu; knowing and using your strengths to your advantage.

Heisenberg doesn't let up. After Heisenberg blows up the room of a psycho drug lord that had just beat up his meth partner and put him in the hospital, he not only gets the money that is due to him, but he demands future business be conducted on his terms, cash up front and a minimum buy of 2 pounds instead of the previous 1 pound.

Heisenberg doesn't put his foot on your throat, Heisenberg makes a bomb and blows you up when you least expect it. Heisenberg never looks back. Heisenberg only looks forward.

Heisenberg makes poisons and bombs, all with the stealth of a ninja as he famously tells his wife... "I am the one who knocks."

There is no relaxing, there is no questioning, there is only an inner desire.

Walter White is Mr. Good, but Heisenberg is all about the Bad and the Ugly.

The Falcons need to find their inner Heisenberg.

Here is my Good, Bad and Ugly from week 3 and long live Heisenberg!

The Good:

• Trueblood - He could be our Heisenberg. On the 2nd play of the game, I see him on top of the defensive lineman with his knee on his chest and giving him a punch. Love it!
  • Run Blocking - if you rewatched the game you saw us run a lot to the right side of the line. Trueblood and Reynolds would crush the DT down inside clearing room for the pulling guard and FB to kick out and clear out the LB's. Best run blocking I've seen this year from the Falcons. Anytime you crank out 140+ yards in the NFL on the ground, you are making progress. I was extremely happy with the run blocking and the running by both Quiz and Snelling.
  • Pass Blocking - several times I saw 4, 5 and 6 man rushes and I saw a nice pocket with our tackles manned up 1-1 and holding their ground. MUCH better. There were still some breakdowns, but the improvement was so significant that I won't mention the few busts.

The Bad:

• Field goal: This is almost a crutch for us. Bryant is/was so automatic. I could almost see the thought balloons over the Falcons bench and huddle reading..."We'll take the easy 3 points." or "well, if we don't get a first down, we'll get 3 points here." This is what Sun Tzu wrote about 2500 years ago. Don't give you men an option to surrender. It's fight and win or die! A few years ago when Jim Mora was our Coach we played Kansas City and lost like 44 - 7 because he told the team "We are not going to get back in this kicking field goals and punting. I'm not gonna punt 1 time in the second half" and he didn't and the score reflected it. However, I respected the decision because he was right and he taught his team we are playing to win, not playing "not to lose badly." Forget the darn field goal. Tell you team we are going to score Touchdowns or we are going to lose this game. Heisenberg wouldn't kick a field goal, I promise you that.
  • Personnel: Is a wounded Roddy White really better on the field than one of our other WR's? I don't know the answer to this, but I gotta think you at least give the other guys a shot and let Roddy rest. He catches maybe 1 ball a game for the last 3 games... really we can't do better than that with our backup?
  • DeCoud - Seriously, this guy has to learn to tackle. I love the guy. He's a funny dude and he can be a ball hawk, but for the love of god.... TACKLE! run through him, wrap up and lock up and take him down.

The Ugly:

• Screen blocking - We had several plays that could have and should have been TD's but one block was missed and it caused us to have to kick a field goal. Trueblood whiffed big time on at lest 3 screens. Reynolds whiffed another time in the red zone... they have to execute.
  • Harry Douglass - He dropped a critical 2nd down pass that hit him in the hands. Julio was blocking the CB for him. If he catches it, he's likely a TD for him. He drops it. Punt return. You gotta know you're gonna get hit, but you gotta hold onto the ball or get away from the ball. Harry didn't step up. Harry is no Heisenberg.
  • Red Zone - After re-watching the game I am convinced it wasn't the play calling or the coach being timid or any of that... It was the players not executing. One missed block prevents a TD. One TD instead of a Field Goal and we win that game.
  • When it counts - I learned to fly about 2 years ago. People ask me what I like most about flying and I tell them "It counts." When I get in the plane and leave the ground... everything I did to make sure the plane was safe and would work and every time I checked the weather, it counts. Every time I come in for a landing, it counts. Everything I do, counts. No do-overs, no re-spawns... it counts. Over the last few years the Falcons have been able to pull it out "When it counts." This year... not so much. Heisenberg understands when it counts.

Will we be the one who knocks this week? Someone will be knocking on Sunday night.. it's either gonna be us or them.

I'd love to see the offensive line let loose that inner nastiness. They used to have it. I don't know whether it was traded away, left in free-agency or was coached out of them, but they need to get it back. Aggressive play in the trenches helps the entire team. Perhaps then, we wouldn't have to settle for field goals.

fought and won? The dude is in hiding, his wife being charged for hee part, the vast majority of his money gone, and got hank, his family killed. He certainly didn't"win"

Sorry if I spoiled the show for anyone. It really is a great show.

His goal was to build an empire and he did. Also, I think he will get his money back for his family.

I'd love to see the offensive line let loose that inner nastiness. They used to have it. I don't know whether it was traded away, left in free-agency or was coached out of them, but they need to get it back. Aggressive play in the trenches helps the entire team. Perhaps then, we wouldn't have to settle for field goals.

'

Exactly.

Breaking bad or Sunday Night football...

No one is going to watch this game outside of Pats/ Falcons fans.

I want to slap the NFL Schedule Makers for putting us on at the same time as the Breaking Bad finale. I have a Breaking Bad get together every Sunday Night, I still don't know what I'm going to watch and which I'm going to DVR.

They have DVR's for a reason. No way I miss a Falcons game. Love the show though best show on TV. Game of Thrones is close.

This looks like I posted it. That "Red Wedding" episode was brutal and one of the best written things I have seen on screen. Breaking Bad is my favorite show of all time with Game of Thrones right behind it. I was into Dexter until these two came out and have just written that off.

I'll be dialing up Breaking Bad as soon as the game is over, I have an addiction. So sad to see it go while other crap stays on tv. But I understand it can't go on forever.

I actually like that they're choosing to end it at season 5, too many shows over stay their welcome and the story becomes tired and annoying. Going out on top is the way to go. That being said I am sad to see it go.

I actually like that they're choosing to end it at season 5, too many shows over stay their welcome and the story becomes tired and annoying. Going out on top is the way to go. That being said I am sad to see it go.

I can agree on that and for the show it is the perfect time to end it, for my personal viewing, way too early. laugh.png