Galaxy S4 Review

Trouble

As requested! Im not just going off football. Someone asked for a review, so im give some insight.

Many already say the GALAXY S4 is still better than the i-PHONE 5.

Lets go over some of the bad first. Im not even gonna sugar coat this.

The BAD!!!!!

1. The phone is built cheap as crap. While the phone is very light in weight. Its build quality sucks. Plan to buy a case.
  2. if this phone drops on its face, its gonna probably break the screen. 5 inch screen with no embezzle to protect it means its gonna likely break.
  3. samsung + verizon = ******* they are fighting to stop rooting. While the S4 can be upgraded to 4.3 jelly bean. They did block a exploit used to root your phone. If your into rooting, take steps to stop the OTA update to be able to root it.
  4. S4 active is ATT not verizon. So i couldn't see that. I have basic S4. from what ive read dont expect to go swimming with that phone. It isnt 100% water proof.
  5. 16 gig storage after os only leave 9 gigs useable. (but you can use mem cards ill cover that in the good section.)
  6. phone has a great 1080p screen. But the need for a phone case and screen protector will not be as cool as without the case.
  7. warranty. If you get the warranty. Crap the phone is amazing. But you drop it and its likely gonna break the screen. Might wanna think about warranty.
  8. 800 snap dragon wasn't released in US. That sucks. We get the 600. Still very powerful but its not as good as the 800 model that released in korea.
  9. bloatware: its got some app you cant uninstall and you will probably never use.
  10. NEVER EVER buy a phone from a verizon store. RIP OFF`s!
  11. new phones are coming out now, that are more powerful that the S4.

Since your a S2 user you probably get what im saying here. Since Samsung has not really addressed the build quality.

The good and the awesome!

1. The phone is light and very thin. It feels great in your hand.
  2. 5 inch screen Is awesome. 1080p screen. Its amazing.
  3. Loaded with software for everything. Ton of stuff to learn and play with.
  4. the phone is fast!!!! and powerful!!! My wife got the S3. Its bogged down vs the S4. Runs slow and looks bad vs its bigger brother. If your looking for a free phone the S3 is cool. But if you can pay a lil bit of money go S4.
  5. camera is 13mp front with options to use it as 8. facing you cam is 2 mp.
  6. camera can do all kinda of crazy things. If you like taking pics, check out youtube for all the crazy stuff this phone can do.
  7. price is dropping on the S4.
  8. you can add a micro SD card still . Thats major since most phone makers are doing away with mem cards.
  9. you can replace the battery or get a extra battery. Battery is better than the S3`s but it still drains fast.
  10. multi windows: you can do all kinda of stuff with this phone and not bog it down to even S3 speeds. Its fast. Plays games like Madden 25.
  11. Its not a iphone!!! Kiddie phone.
  12. S4 is generally considered either the best or 1 of the best phones out there. Even with its build quality it adds so much in everything else its hard not to like it.
  13. ITS A COMPLEX PHONE. Its more like a pocket notebook.
  14. it has ir blaster so it can be a TV remote. There is even a app to control you xbox 360.
  15. if your a fitness junkie it has motion sensors for that. Like how many steps you take. Calorie counter and burner and other blue tooth addons you can get to help with your work outs.
  16. 5 inch screen still feels very nice in your hands and its a great picture.

The note 2 is a fan favorite of mainly due to the bigger screen. But the S4 whips the note 2`s but in specs almost across the board.

The note 3 is coming out and it whips the S4`s. But price is a lot higher as well.

I got my S4 from Wal-mart. For $130.00 and i got a $40.00 gift card.

Sames club had to for $140.00 with a $50.oo instant savings.

on 2 year contract.

Verizon is still trying to charge $200+ at their stores. Goto walmart or bestbuy.

So for the price the phone is amazing and its hard to beat. The major compition would have been the HTC 1. But now newer phones are coming out with better specs. So it comes down to how much you wanna pay.

If you break the screen you can get replacement screen at a fair price from like ebay.

I would have loved to get a NOTE 3. Because its specs and screen size. But im not paying that price for a phone.

S line phones are very very popular. But like ive said ive actually had a S3 and a S4 side by side and the S4 runs like it should. The s3 feels like its trying to hard to run everything.

Its hard not to recommend the S4. The worst knocks is the build quality. Outside of that they give you the replaceable battery option as well as microSD option and most phones dont have that anymore.

But power is there, screen is there, software is there, camera is there. The phone is amazing over all.

This girls is smart.

If you have time. I would say check here videos on the S4. They should answer many of your questions. She actually has the S4 600 snap dragon as well as the 800 snap dragon.

danight that is a good review, my fiancee also has the S4.

Every samsung phone is built like crap, but they can take a heavy beating.

I dropped my galaxy nexus numerous times on pavement, hardwood and tile. never a scratch on the screen.

Samsung screens are built beautiful, but are incredibly sturdy.

I have always hated bloatware.

but you can disable it if you go to your app drawer hold down on the app that you want to disable. when your homescreen comes up drag it to INFO. and tap on disable.

Hey, haven't had a chance to say this: good luck with the surgery.

Thanks i really appreciate it!

Holding out for Galaxy Note 3. Me and the Wife have the Note 2 and will both get the new one next month.

I cant blame you. If you can afford it, it looks to be worth it. 3 gigs of ram FTW!!!

S4 > Note 2

Note 3 > S4

danight that is a good review, my fiancee also has the S4.

Every samsung phone is built like crap, but they can take a heavy beating.

I dropped my galaxy nexus numerous times on pavement, hardwood and tile. never a scratch on the screen.

Samsung screens are built beautiful, but are incredibly sturdy.

I have always hated bloatware.

but you can disable it if you go to your app drawer hold down on the app that you want to disable. when your homescreen comes up drag it to INFO. and tap on disable.

Yeah the S4 has the gorilla glass 3. Its suppose to be good at resisting scratches.

As far as bloatware :) Root! Root opens up a new level of things to play with. But risky! But Rooting has a great ad blocker (that needs root access). Blocks just about every ad.

Not to mention you can back up the entire phone to dropbox or google drive etc etc. But im no expert on rooting. But it is very easy ;) to do.

Holding out for Galaxy Note 3. Me and the Wife have the Note 2 and will both get the new one next month.

if I hadn't recently gotten an HTC One, I would be taking a look at the HTC One Max

the HTC One is all metal, has a great camera second only to that LG phone, and has the best speakers of any cell phone ever

htc-one-max-003.jpg

Cant go wrong with the HTC one either. Its S4`s main rival phone atm.

Either are great choices for a new phone id say.

Now the LG with the great camera (42mega pixels)... its still LG LG makes great small flip phones. But outside of that camera there isnt much reason id buy the LG.

There is a few videos that compare HTC one vs the S4. But either way your getting a great phone.

Yeah the S4 has the gorilla glass 3. Its suppose to be good at resisting scratches.

As far as bloatware smile.png Root! Root opens up a new level of things to play with. But risky! But Rooting has a great ad blocker (that needs root access). Blocks just about every ad.

Not to mention you can back up the entire phone to dropbox or google drive etc etc. But im no expert on rooting. But it is very easy wink.png to do.

Yes rooting is the best thing to do with the phones.

no need for an ad blocker if you choose the correct rom.

I was always a fan of BAMF when I had my nexus, wasn't a fan of Cyanogenmod.

and then there was the great AOKP

and then came Sourcery(I think they misspelled it by accident then just ran with it)

now i have been out of it so much i dont know what is the best one.

if I hadn't recently gotten an HTC One, I would be taking a look at the HTC One Max

the HTC One is all metal, has a great camera second only to that LG phone, and has the best speakers of any cell phone ever

htc-one-max-003.jpg

I enjoy my DNA but if only these companies came together to make just one phone.

Samsungs Screens and Camera

HTCs Design and Speakers

Motos Hardware

then the phone would be unstoppable.

Yes rooting is the best thing to do with the phones.

no need for an ad blocker if you choose the correct rom.

I was always a fan of BAMF when I had my nexus, wasn't a fan of Cyanogenmod.

and then there was the great AOKP

and then came Sourcery(I think they misspelled it by accident then just ran with it)

now i have been out of it so much i dont know what is the best one.

Some hate it, so think its ok. Im enjoying Samsungs stock touch wiz. So much stuff on the phone, root isnt really needed. But its cool for options if later down the road you wanna go another route.

But the S4 has all those crazy sensors in it and changing roms would kill off touch wiz that uses them.

My suggestions for news phones is

1. decided on what you wanna spend
  2. figure out what has the best tech specs (the better the specs the longer the phone will hold up down the road when kitkat and stuff comes out).
  3. Figure out if build quality or replaceable battery and removable memcard is important? Because your not likely to get both.
  4. find a screen size you love.
  5. fit software and features into your price range. But hardware you cant improve unless you over clock and thats not the best idea. So hardware specs are important to consider.

My suggestions for news phones is

1. decided on what you wanna spend
  2. figure out what has the best tech specs (the better the specs the longer the phone will hold up down the road when kitkat and stuff comes out).
  3. Figure out if build quality or replaceable battery and removable memcard is important? Because your not likely to get both.
  4. find a screen size you love.
  5. fit software and features into your price range. But hardware you cant improve unless you over clock and thats not the best idea. So hardware specs are important to consider.

I'm leaning towards the Moto X, the software update fixed the camera problem.

But I may wait until the new nexus is released either October, or November.

The thing about the Note line is once you own one it's hard to go back to a smaller screen size. The S4 has a beautiful screen and great features but I can't see myself dropping back down to the 5in screen. I am a little disappointed with Samsung though cause Note 2 an S3 owners were suppose to get an upgrade of the firmware, but it has yet to happen.

Edited by meezy0236

Thanks Danight for this thread and for everyone else's thoughts. We may upgrade in a month so it's good to know what others think.

I just want to use my phone to take a pics, look-up what time the movie starts on-line, send a few messages and actually use it as a phone.

It's aggravating when this hi-tech device starts going wonky on basic things like answering incoming calls or freezing for no apparent reason. It's the second samsung I've had since 2008 and after a couple of years they start to go wonky - not impressed.

Thanks Danight for this thread and for everyone else's thoughts. We may upgrade in a month so it's good to know what others think.

I just want to use my phone to take a pics, look-up what time the movie starts on-line, send a few messages and actually use it as a phone.

It's aggravating when this hi-tech device starts going wonky on basic things like answering incoming calls or freezing for no apparent reason. It's the second samsung I've had since 2008 and after a couple of years they start to go wonky - not impressed.

honestly if pictures and ease of use is your thing.

Samsung or Apple would be the best.

I dont know how well LG cameras are, my HTC camera is decent but nothing compared to my fiancees s4

honestly if pictures and ease of use is your thing.

Samsung or Apple would be the best.

I dont know how well LG cameras are, my HTC camera is decent but nothing compared to my fiancees s4

How the camera is isn't really important, it's just one of things I use my S2 for more often than I realize, but I'm not cgoing to get bummed if my phone can't take poster quality photo. I just want the thing to work for 3 years.

How the camera is isn't really important, it's just one of things I use my S2 for more often than I realize, but I'm not cgoing to get bummed if my phone can't take poster quality photo. I just want the thing to work for 3 years.

well in terms of quality....

my preference is Motorola some of the best built phones around.

but it is your choice and good luck making it.

The thing about the Note line is once you own one it's hard to go back to a smaller screen size. The S4 has a beautiful screen and great features but I can't see myself dropping back down to the 5in screen. I am a little disappointed with Samsung though cause Note 2 an S3 owners were suppose to get an upgrade of the firmware, but it has yet to happen.

Very true... Going down in screen size is hard. But the note 2 is bigger. The S4 keeps a pretty standard cell phone size with packing in a 1080p 5 inch screen.

Out side of screen size the S4 basically beats it in ever spec. But the Note 3 coming beats the S4 specs. It should be a beast.

The S4 is a monster. Its like having a pocket pc. Multi windows can be open. With many different apps and performance seems fine. Have had a crash yet (except a bad coded app i dl`ed and even it only crashed the app. Not the phone)

The S4 is loaded for a camera. Facing you is 2 mega pixels. Thats standard

Front facing is 13 mp (thats higher end oh phone cameras)

But you will probably use the front at 8 MP so you can have the 16:9 ratio. Not as good as the 13 mp shots but very good over all and its a wider pic.

Uploading pics are videos from the S4 is a breese. Its as easy as holing the share button and choosing where to share it.

But the software is where the S4 stands out. Samsung loaded the S4 with pic software that can do all kinds of stuff. I suggest you check out youtube videos about the S4 cam. Its a amazing cam for a cell phone.

Its not perfect...hey its still a cell phone. But it can take great picks and edit them nicely. They even have a feature where you cab remove people from your photos. So if you get photobombed you can just whipe them out in a click.

I just got one not too long ago.

Ditto the point about going elsewhere to get the phone. I got it from best buy for 129. Plus I got the geek squad protection in case it cracks.

Same day I got my little brother an LG optimus (It was free laugh.png ), he broke the screen a few weeks later. I called At&T and with their insurance plan they were going to charge me 150 dollars to get a replacement for a phone I got for free. FOH. I took it back to the Best buy mobile and they replaced it in about 3 days for free, because I had the geek squad plan.

Also ditto, the point about the internet being crazy fast.

Edited by NYG4