Saints T E Graham Talks Going Nowhere...

WhenFalconsWin

Saints are not a cap friendly right now team and JG want to be paid and should be. Will he be another saints cap casualty?

Saints, Graham talks going nowhere

Posted by Mike Florio on September 23, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT

graham.jpg?w=250

Getty Images

Through three games, Saints tight end Jimmy Graham has 358 receiving yards and four touchdowns.

But Graham still doesn’t have a new contract. Per multiple league sources, the Saints have made an offer. Graham’s camp has not yet responded.

Graham has entered the final season of his slotted rookie deal. Drafted the same year asRob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, both of whom received long-term extensions, Graham is still waiting.

He may have to wait a little longer. Or a lot longer. Last year, the Saints waited as long as possible to sign quarterback Drew Brees to a multi-year deal, after he took every snap of a six-year, $60 million contract.

Brees got his deal after the Saints applied the exclusive version of the quarterback franchise tag. Graham undoubtedly will get the non-exclusive version of the tight end franchise tag, setting the stage for an inevitable fight regarding whether Graham is a tight end or a receiver.

Meanwhile, look for Graham to continue to take the high road. Though he has earned the ability not to carry the risk of serious injury, the Saints have shown that they won’t pay close to market value until the player has maximum leverage.

If Graham stays healthy, he’ll have it — especially if he prevails on the question of whether he’s a receiver for franchise tag purposes.

xJimBrown_RaquelWelch_1.jpg,qitok=VTsqnVQA.pagespeed.ic._lIPQ78X7F.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saints won't let Graham go anywhere. They'll franchise him if they have to, although, all they have to do is wait until after the season, cut Smith, gain 10 mil in cap space, and give that 10 mil to Graham.

Or sign him to a 6 year deal with an outrageous bonus and little cap hit the next 2 years.

And WFW, don't you get tired of the schtick? Cause lord knows, everyone else is. Takes me twice as long to get through a thread you're in because all that cr#p has to load up for every single post. And the 3rd person thing is way past its expiration date.

wink.png Wil be interesting to see if the Saints have the Pats mentality. A good team that, for the most part, doesn't really care about giving huge contracts to their skill positions on offense other than their Qb. They're confident that with their qb and their coach, that it doesn't matter who they have at TE or WR, they'll still win games.

In which case. Come back home to the Carolinas, Jimmy. Our 2-TE sets would be insane with Jimmy leading the way.

wink.png Wil be interesting to see if the Saints have the Pats mentality. A good team that, for the most part, doesn't really care about giving huge contracts to their skill positions on offense other than their Qb. They're confident that with their qb and their coach, that it doesn't matter who they have at TE or WR, they'll still win games.

In which case. Come back home to the Carolinas, Jimmy. Our 2-TE sets would be insane with Jimmy leading the way.

Didn't the Pats give their TE the richest contract in league history?

They have given big contracts to Oline guys starting with Evans contract which I believe was one of the highest paid guards in the league. They see this guy as integral part of Saints offensive future.

They have given big contracts to Oline guys starting with Evans contract which I believe was one of the highest paid guards in the league. They see this guy as integral part of Saints offensive future.

Because Oline is key to keeping Brees upright. As long as Brees has a little time, they probably feel that he can turn any WR or TE into a star.

I'm not sure I could see Graham running 8 yard curls and being a security blanket; what a waste of his talent that would be.

Naah, that's what they have Gonzo doing because that's what he's capable of doing at this point in his career. Graham would be used much differently.

Only reason the Falcons seem so conservative right now is the Oline is operating with 3 and 4 new pieces on it and they don't trust them to keep Ryan upright on deep drops [with good reason]. The Oline has gotten better with each game. You'll start seeing more of the deep ball soon.

Because Oline is key to keeping Brees upright. As long as Brees has a little time, they probably feel that he can turn any WR or TE into a star.

I agree, but Graham is not just a product of Brees, the guy has WR speed at TE and can run over people for YAC like a big RB and can post up when single covered over almost any defender. Saints won't let him get away and Ji,my as recently as 3 weeks ago reiterated that he won't play for anyone but Brees and reporter even said to him something about that hurting his contract negotiation and he said he didn't care, Brees was his guy,

"I told Drew that if the Saints didn't offer me enough money, I would go to the Falcons and i'm serious about that." Graham said.

I can do that to without a source so people wouldn't know if i'm telling the truth or not.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/29518/jimmy-graham-talks-retirement-plans#comment

He also said it at the last press conference he did before start of season if you go watch Saints videos on team web page