Belichick Says Halftime Adjustments Are Overrated

DirtyBird8711

315980433_2688214283001_3wayFALCONS-PATRIOTS.jpg?pubId=315980433

http://www.ajc.com/w...-are-overrated/

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH -- Over the last five games, the Falcons have outscored the opposition 91-40 in the first half and have been outscored 90-34 in the second half.

The mere numbers suggest that the Falcons are not making halftime adjustments, but New England coach Bill Belichick said halftime adjustments are overrated.

Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter admits to the lulls, but points to player execution as the problem.

Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan says the team is just in a slump.

Here are their thoughts on halftime adjustments:

BILL BELICHICK

ON HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS: “I think that there’s a lot that happens before halftime. As I said, I think the fourth quarter, a lot of that is situational depending on whether you’re ahead or behind. The game at that point can be dictated by just the situation that you’re in, therefore you have the first three quarters. If you want to halftime, a lot of football has gone by the boards before you make any adjustments, but I think in the NFL you see teams making adjustments after each series. …One team does something, the other team adjusts to it. That teams counters their adjustment and it goes back and fourth. It goes on all game. I don’t think the half time adjustment thing is that big of a deal because it goes on continuously for the first series of the game until really the game becomes a situational game based on a score and time remaining.”

DIRK KOETTER

ON HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS: “If you go back and look at the tape, we definitely stalled out in the third quarter. I’ll let those fans that are saying that look at the tape and tell me if it was halftime adjustments or if it was just poor execution. They can tell me after they look at the tape. I’m not. . . . you can say what you want, but the tape doesn’t lie.”

MIKE NOLAN

HALFTIME ADJUSTEMENTS: “We all have our different opinions, but I won’t share with you what I think it is, obviously because it would tell someone to keep doing this or that. I think there are some things that are consistent with the different situations. Then there are also some thingS that have been unique to each game. Obviously, in every game there are different matchups, so the problems that you have in one game may come back entirely different in another game. But it is something that you don’t want . . . that’s kind of runt I guess you could say.”

Edited by DirtyBird8711

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's that Belichek always preaches?

Oh, yeah...DO YOUR JOB!

He's been saying this to his players for years. If you do you're job right the first time,then you won't have to worry about second half adjustments.

Also, I believe that his players know that if they don't do they're jobs right, then they're benched or gone. I don't know if Smitty can put that fear into his players yet or if at all.

Koetter is calling fans out, but it is good to see Ledbetter is listening to fans chatter and asking the questions that need to be asked. I, myself, have never stated a reason for sluggish second half play because I am not sure what is causing it. All anyone knows is, there is problem, it is consistent, and something needs to be done about it.

What's that Belichek always preaches?

Oh, yeah...DO YOUR JOB!

He's been saying this to his players for years. If you do you're job right the first time,then you won't have to worry about second half adjustments.

Also, I believe that his players know that if they don't do they're jobs right, then they're benched or gone. I don't know if Smitty can put that fear into his players yet or if at all.

I agree, Smith is the one responsible, not for making his players do their job, but making sure his players are doing their job. There is a difference, and he should not have to push them to hare to get it done, so If somebody is not doing their job he needs to find someone who will.

Edited by AREA51

I agree, Smith is the one responsible, not for making his players do their job, but making sure his players are doing their job. There is a difference, and he should not have to push them to hare to get it done, so If somebody is not doing their job he needs to find someone who will.

That's why there are coaches. Just because these guys play professional ball doesn't mean they don't need prodding or coaching up from time to time. They're only human.

That was a great article, and for the first time ever I am giving some kudos to Ledbetter for asking more than the obvious questions, and for digging deep into what is going on with our team. I think it also highlights the idiocy of some of the fanbase who just want to yell some simplistic slogans, such as "make better halftime adjustments" as the solution to something way more complex. BTW I have been guilty myself of this idiocy.

I had a good laugh at DK's response. You can feel the tension and pressure on the coaching staff oozing out of that statement. I don't know what the issue is in the third quarter, nor the solutions. But there are always a few key plays that determine the outcome of any game, and in our two losses we just did not execute on those plays. I also know that the ultimate responsibility for the team's performance lies squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. In the loss last week, I do think we have to make some allowance for injury, but that is what makes the loss even more unbearable since we lead the entire game. There was just no excuse for losing that game.

But now we have another opportunity to see what our team is made of down deep when adversity hits them in the face.

How about adjusting the players attitude at halftime then Dirk? You may not tell them to do anything different as an adjustment, but then you need tell them to think different since we FAIL TO EXECUTE in the 3Q consistently.

These are grown men and I doubt a win 1 for the Gipper halftime speech will make the difference, but something definitely needs to change in how they mentally approach halftime.

Koetter is calling fans out, but it is good to see Ledbetter is listening to fans chatter and asking the questions that need to be asked. I, myself, have never stated a reason for sluggish second half play because I am not sure what is causing it. All anyone knows is, there is problem, it is consistent, and something needs to be done about it.

Not only does it sound like he is calling the dans out, sounds like he is diverting any blame and calling out his players. That's only acceptable in certain and specific situations. It usually doesn't sit well with the players and he risks more than he gains by doing so. To me it comes off sounding douchebaggy.

After doing some reviewing of tape as Dirk pointed out, I've discovered what a fool I am for ranting on about firing Smith and who ever else is in the room. The second half lulls are for the most part players not "doing their Jobs". That could be caused by dropped passes, fumbles, and penalties stalling drives. But what I saw must, to me anyway, was a lack of passion as if oh well maybe next go around we will do better. I suppose I just want to see somebody show some emotion...throw a cooler of gator aid, something to show us fans who spend our hard earned money that they care and are upset about their pizz poor performance.

People get mad that we go away from what works too early then get mad when we make adjustments and yell "Go back to what was working!".

It's not that black and white though. It's about knowing when to do which (which is what head coaches are supposed to do).

For instance, the run game was awesome on Sunday. We were pushing them off the ball and getting decent gains. But 4th and 1 from the 2, we decide to kick a field goal....

It always seems like we try and get too cute. That why I love Bellicheck. If they're running the ball well, he'll keep pounding the rock until the other team can stop it. They'll line up and run the same exact play 4 times in a row. That sends a message to your team and opposition and that breeds confidence.