Great Expectations

tsarcasm

The Atlanta Falcons went into 2013 with great expectations. The phrase "Super Bowl or bust" was thrown around quite frequently. Was that a realistic goal for this particular group of players?

Having gone back to last season's archives and skimmed through many of the topic titles, I came up with this group of core players:

Matt Ryan

Roddy White

Julio Jones

Tony Gonzalez

Sean Weatherspoon

William Moore

** fringe - Corey Peters

Of that group, only Matt Ryan plays a premium position. All other aspects of our team, from the pass/run blocking, running game, positional depth, front 7, pass rush, run D and pass defense, were generally thought amongst Falcon fans and board users, to be substandard.

My question is this: How realistic is it for this team to consider itself a top contender, given the number of areas needing improvement and experience?

Edited by tsarcasm

The Atlanta Falcons went into 2013 with great expectations. The phrase "Super Bowl or bust" was thrown around quite frequently. Was that a realistic goal for this particular group of players?

Having gone back to last season's archives and skimmed through many of the topic titles, I came up with this group of core players:

Matt Ryan

Roddy White

Julio Jones

Tony Gonzalez

Sean Weatherspoon

William Moore

** fringe - Corey Peters

Of that group, only Matt Ryan plays a premium position. All other aspects of our team, from the pass/run blocking, positional depth, front 7, pass rush, run D and pass defense, were generally thought amongst Falcon fans and board users, to be substandard.

My question is this: How realistic is it for this team to consider itself a top contender, given the number of areas needing improvement and experience?

she. U are one game away from the big one, and you have the majority of your team return the following season, yea you will look like a contender since you almost made it, this whole Superbowl or Bust idea is kinda dumb, shouldn't that be the case for every team every season?

TSarcasm, I enjoy your posts. I think you're being a bit self serving by suggesting that only Ryan plays a premium position, but there is a school that says QB, DE and LT are the only spots that deserve that ranking, so I'll roll with it. And if that really is true, the Falcons are clearly greater than the sum of their parts.

It's a pity so few folks around here understand that. And how even fewer understand why.

Well, we went 13-3 last year. And we never even really broke a sweat doing it. It was easy.

(Some will interject here that we had a ton of nail biters due to Smittyball. I agree, last year we tended to build a lead and then let the other team whittle it away, doing enough to just win -- but still, that was our chosen formula, and it doesn't contradict the fact that we were the dominant team on the field pretty much every week).

And this year, we made moves that should have only made us better. We have better corners. Osi is either as good as Abe was last year, or possibly better. SJAX is definitely an upgrade over last year's Turner.

So yes, it is completely reasonable to have super bowl aspirations.

In fact, last year's dominance shows we were a very very good team. It was not a fluke, because flukes don't last a whole season.

So something must be wrong with your argument, that we don't have good players. Either we *do* have good players, or we don't really have that many good players, but individual player skill level is not as important as other factors.

Right?

Well this is part of the problem. We lost to two teams that have nothing to lose and missed the playoffs last year. We've got everything to lose and are clamming up. Like DHSAW said, we made 13-3 look routine. That made the pressure to repeat it even greater. Going 1-2, maybe 1-3 will take the spotlight all the way off this team. It will put us in an "All In" mentality hopefully or this season will be a 9-7 season and a massive failure.

Unfortunately, the Falcons don't have the depth to cover up the injuries which have hurt this team. It's going to be a rough road in Atlanta this year.

Has Bartu been a dropoff from Spoon? Not really. Massaquoi looked good in Biermann's spot, I didn't see a dropoff in production. The DL looked as good as we've seen it. Snelling and Quizz looked great except in the red zone. We haven't seen enough of Jackson behind this OL to know that he would have played any better.

Our depth is fine. We have a question mark with 2 starters in Nicholas and DeCoud.

The injury argument is not an excuse, and we have decent depth.

Work on Great Expectations commenced in late September of 1860 at what proved to be a peak of emotional intensity for its author. Two years before, Dickens had separated from Catherine, his wife of twenty-two years; and several weeks prior to the beginning of this novel, Dickens had burned all his papers and correspondence of the past twenty years at his Gad's Hill estate. This action, in retrospect, can be viewed as a sort of spiritual purge (think of Pip's burnt hands/Miss Havisham on fire)—an attempt to break decisively from the past in order (paradoxically) to fully embrace it, as he does so resonantly in this work.

The writing of Great Expectations, and by extension the creation of its protagonist, Pip, therefore, can be viewed as a kind of excavation for its author, a cathartic attempt to come to terms with the painful facts of his childhood—particularly the family's chronic economic instability, culminating in his father's imprisonment due to financial insolvency. Also paramount in his psychological make-up were Dickens's consignment at the age of twelve to work as a child laborer at Warren's Blacking factory (a secret no one but his closest friend, John Forster, knew) and his subsequent separation from his family as a result—all of which took place over the course of two months. This period in the young boy's life, then, represents both a literal and meta-phorical "orphaning" and was certainly the crucible in which his personality was formed. This sense of primal loss, and fear of impending economic ruin manifested itself later in Dickens's own Herculean and obsessive efforts to busy himself (often simultaneously) as a writer, editor, and public speaker— as if this were the only way he could ensure himself of financial solvency.

It's reasonable if you are exceptional in an area (and at least average in others). We were poised to be truly exceptional in passing offense, if the OL was fortified (instead we let go of guys). So, I thought if we got a true quality RG in FA, that this wouldn't be the most talented team, but the talent in the passing offense could be enough to go all the way.

That assumes the D is decent, running game is decent, which is all I was expecting. When they didn't address the OL, I've been scared since then...as it seemed the only way to derail our passing game was pressure, and we aided that.

I think it was very reasonable for us to be one of the 6 teams that have a good chance to win...and that's really all you can ever be. But to be a team whose true strength lies in the passing game...you really need to push the rest of your team accordingly (up tempo, taking the game to the other team, etc.) so that your strength translates.

It's a reason, not an excuse. You can't deny that quality depth is the issue this year for the falcons.

I can, everywhere but maybe the OL, even Schraeder shows promise. Our depth isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Like I said, we have some starters playing piss poor, but it's not a talent issue.