Falcons Dc Mike Nolan On Miami's Game-Winning Touchdown Drive

Quarterback

http://www.ajc.com/w...nning-touchdow/

FLOWERY BRANCH -- Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan made his first public comments since his unit gave up a 13-play, 75-yard game-winning drive against Miami to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday.

"All right, It didn't end up the way we'd like," said Nolan, who speaks once a week and not after games per team policy. "We had several third downs along the drive that we'd like to have gotten off the field or at least created a fourth down. It was still fourth-down territory and they would have gone for it, but we need to do a better job of executing those things.

"We have some rules for the way we play certain coverages and a couple of times we didn't play them correctly or properly and we got beat (in) those exact places. You can have 10 guys do it right and if one slips up, it doesn't help you. But nonetheless, they did drive down and we had plenty of chances to stop them and it didn't come up our way."

Off video, Nolan had some interesting comments about the play of defensive end Jonathan Massaquoi, who started for the injured Kroy Biermann against the Dolphins.

“He did a good job,” Nolan said. “The thing that is good about Mass is that he has been a play-maker, but he needs to do it within the framework of what his job is. There are guys who will make plays and sometimes they are outside of the framework of what you want them to do.

“Now, that’s all great if they are good plays. It’s much like a quarterback. The good quarterbacks throw picks. Now, they throw picks for touchdowns. But that same quarterback is able to come back and throw a touchdown pass and set you up for the winning field goal. He’s always better than he is bad. So you take it.

“Brett Favre is a great example. I don’t know how many interceptions he threw over the years, but he threw a lot. But he was always better than he was bad and that’s a great quarterback.”

My definition and understating of greatness is a bit higher than "better than he was bad."

Edited by Quarterback

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

**** is Nolan babbling about ? Who gives a **** about Brett Favre . Nolan is overrated . Attack the ******* QB stop thinking our secondary is going to give up big play and stop playing this weak *** zone defense in 2nd half . Get to the ******* drawing board Nolan and start making in game adjustments when teams are countering and throwing crossing patterns up and down the field . Jesus

Nolan has been fed "Smitty Ball" pill .....totally diff from last year. Wow! what a one year in Smitty's regime does do this Cordinators.

I'm not sure we really saw the true Nolan and what he thinks and believes. He is certainly wise enough to know he's being videoed and that Arthur, Thomas and Mike may be curious enough to watch.

Something is up, either Smitty has hamstrung him, our players aren't good enough, or he just don't have it anymore, because he has been a very good DC everywhere he has went. He had some genuine gems last year, but this year has not been good at all. Blown leads, bad on 3rd downs, and not being able to adjust to teams attacking certain parts of our defense over and over.

I thought MN was suppose to be a defensive "god". I must say, I've been very disappointed.

doesn't have the pieces in place and no $ to spend this off season to get his pieces instead we to back to running same vanilla 4-3 scheme sprinkle in 4-2-5 base

same defense gets abused in playoffs . Nolan better then BVG on name alone not product

doesn't have the pieces in place and no $ to spend this off season to get his pieces instead we to back to running same vanilla 4-3 scheme sprinkle in 4-2-5 base

same defense gets abused in playoffs . Nolan better then BVG on name alone not product

He's had 2 drafts and 2 offseasons to get "his" players in place. He had as much to do with choosing Dent over Lofton and sticking with Decoud on the back end as anyone else. I'll agree though, this defense is not much (if any) different than when BVG was here. Other than a couple of very good games last year, we still struggled on 3rd downs and blew important leads.

He's had 2 drafts and 2 offseasons to get "his" players in place. He had as much to do with choosing Dent over Lofton and sticking with Decoud on the back end as anyone else. I'll agree though, this defense is not much (if any) different than when BVG was here. Other than a couple of very good games last year, we still struggled on 3rd downs and blew important leads.

we agree Nolan is overrated but 2012 draft we had no first cause Julio and then take BPA . Plus our player personel was 4-3 based . Nolan is a 3-4 guy no matter what people try to teach he loves 3-4 scheme and we just didnt have the guys with prior decisions . We should have moved onto 3-4 as soon as Nolan got to Falcons and add piece by piece . We should have moved away from the 4-3 UT and get a big NT to eat space . We should have standed Bierman and Spoon up as rush LBs and attack . We could have slid Babs to 3-4 and used free agency to address 3-4 DE

4-3 scheme in NFL is outdated

Edited by Swift RIGHT again

Something is up, either Smitty has hamstrung him, our players aren't good enough, or he just don't have it anymore, because he has been a very good DC everywhere he has went. He had some genuine gems last year, but this year has not been good at all. Blown leads, bad on 3rd downs, and not being able to adjust to teams attacking certain parts of our defense over and over.

Can't say that it isn't on Nolan.

If he was that good a DC teams would have made sure he couldn't leave.

IMO Smith is holding back our coordinators more than we know

What makes you say that?

Koetter looks lost in the Redzone.

While O's come out in the 2nd quarter and seem to beat Nolan..

I believe if the HC was going to have an influence it would be slow starts then the OC/DC would take care of adjustments.

Our offense and defense are too similar to what they were under Mularkey and BVG for there not to be some sort of input from Smitty. Especially on defense.

What???

Our D is completely different the only similarities is we also have 11 men on the field, I didn't see BVG run Ameoba, or 3DT or move KB or blitz as often.

I also haven't seen too many 3 man rushes under Nolan (thank god)

Offense we screen all the time with quick hits, never run the ball, actually take deep shots.

They couldn't be more different.

Probably one of you young guys....this is part of the growing curve, we may be 2-1 were in not for mental errors on last drive.

Agreed, that is on offense as well.

We for some reason are just not exectuing well, it is what happens when we let the young guys have a shot there will be mental errors but hopefully once they get up to speed they will be a lot better.

What???

Our D is completely different the only similarities is we also have 11 men on the field, I didn't see BVG run Ameoba, or 3DT or move KB or blitz as often.

I also haven't seen too many 3 man rushes under Nolan (thank god)

Offenovrracreen all the time with quick hits, never run the ball, actually take deep shots.

They couldn't be more different.

The overall philosophy is the same though. Lots of soft zone on D and safe plays on offense. A lot of the change in playcalling on offense is simply a product of necessity. We have no OL so its tough to throw downfield or run.

Edited by RS91