Grantland Coaching Article

Big A

Don't Be Like Mike

Mike Smith's conservativeness nearly cost the Falcons a couple of times last year, most notably in the divisional-round win over the Seahawks, which was a game Smith nearly lost by failing to consider a two-point try from a half-yard out in the third quarter. Even though he has one of the league's best offenses, Smith has remained hesitant to make aggressive decisions since the playoff loss to the Giants, when the Falcons famously failed multiple times in short yardage. That conservative nature might have cost them a win against the Dolphins.

First, Smith went into no-man's-land and came away with an ill-advised three points. After a third-down pass to Jacquizz Rodgers in the second quarter lost a yard, the Falcons passed on a chance to go for it on fourth-and-2 from the 34-yard line so they could let Matt Bryant attempt a 52-yard field goal. Bryant — just 11-for-20 from 50 yards and beyond as a pro — hit the field goal, but that's a very risky play given the excellent field position Miami would get from a miss.

His decision to kick later was more egregious. There, the Falcons were up 10-7 with 2:08 left in the second quarter, facing a fourth-and-1 from the 2-yard line after Jason Snelling had been stuffed on the previous down. Was that one miss really enough to justify kicking a field goal from the 2-yard line with 32 minutes of football to go? The Falcons only needed a yard for the first down, which might actually have been the best possible outcome, since they would get four more shots at a likely touchdown while leaving less time on the clock for the Dolphins to run their own two-minute drill (which they did after the field goal, producing a field goal of their own). I can understand that the Falcons were missing Steven Jackson and left tackle Sam Baker, but the Dolphins were without Cameron Wake, their best player. Unless it ties or wins a game deep in the fourth quarter, the 20-yard field goal just shouldn't be in a coach's playbook.

Smith also neglected to use his timeouts at the end of the game. With Miami down to one timeout, it advanced the ball to the 8-yard line for a first-and-goal situation with 1:36 left at the beginning of the play clock. This possession was the entire game for the Dolphins, who were down 23-20. With three timeouts, the Falcons could have stopped the clock and left themselves time to launch a one-minute drill, regardless of whether the Dolphins scored a touchdown or kicked a field goal. (If Miami turned the ball over or decided to go for it and failed on downs, Atlanta could kneel twice to end the game.) Instead, Smith let the Dolphins wind the clock down and run a play with 56 seconds left, moving the ball to the 1-yard line. Smith waited several seconds after that play to use his first timeout, calling it with 43 seconds left. Miami scored a touchdown on the next play, and Atlanta eventually got the ball back down four with 38 seconds left. Had Smith used his timeouts optimally but seen his defense allow the same plays at the same rate of speed, the Falcons would have gotten the ball back with about 1:25 left to go. Do you think Atlanta could have used 47 extra seconds to work with at the end of that game?

The Worst Decisions of Week 3

3. Smith's time-wasting at the end of the Falcons-Dolphins game.

All three of these decisions are plays in which a coach did something or failed to do something for which there is virtually no defense. Smith, I guess, could argue that the Dolphins have a young quarterback and he didn't want Ryan Tannehill to get time to settle down. Tannehill didn't end up having much of a problem punching the ball in even with Smith saving two of his timeouts, and a timeout also might have given Smith's pass rush some fresher legs. The upside of giving his offense nearly a full minute of extra time to work with to try to win the game, regardless of what Miami did, was far more meaningful. It was a blunder, plain and simple.

Mike Smith was reached for comment and said, " Well, we didn't get the result we wanted so we need to look at the tape and figure out what we need to fix". Upon closer inspection, it turns out Smith was a poorly programmed cyborg running outdated software which appears to be the reason for same failed coaching decisions and giving the same press conference interview every time.

Matt Bryant missed the FG that set up the MIA comeback so why is so much heat being placed on Smith?

I guess as the QB, Smith will always get the majority of blame even with receivers like Ryan out for another 3 weeks, a hobbled Jackson not running his routes well as well a Snelling on Oline allowing pressure. Those guys should also share part of the blame. Then again, The defense has been unable to hold a lead too which falls on vets like Trufant and McDonalds and the safety Julio Jones dropped a perfect interception last week, all things that prevent victory, but hey, I don't know anything about football according to some here.

I guess as the QB, Smith will always get the majority of blame even with receivers like Ryan out for another 3 weeks, a hobbled Jackson not running his routes well as well a Snelling on Oline allowing pressure. Those guys should also share part of the blame. Then again, The defense has been unable to hold a lead too which falls on vets like Trufant and McDonalds and the safety Julio Jones dropped a perfect interception last week, all things that prevent victory, but hey, I don't know anything about football according to some here.

what is this I don't even

Right, if Bryant doesn't miss that chipshot the Falcons go down and get the winning FG easily with the time on the clock they had left. Should Smitty have called the timeouts? Yes, bad move on his part!

Maybe my math is a little off because if you add the 3 points to making that FG, that equals 26 points. Since 26 is less than the 27 the dolphins scored, wouldn't they have lost anyway?

Maybe my math is a little off because if you add the 3 points to making that FG, that equals 26 points. Since 26 is less than the 27 the dolphins scored, wouldn't they have lost anyway?

If Bryant makes the chipshot we have 26...dolphins scored a td they have 27...Falcons have 38 seconds left and just need a FG to win it with 29 points (Ice once did it in 11 seconds against Da Bears) stay with WFW junior...cool.png

si-robertson-profile.jpg

If Bryant makes the chipshot we have 26...dolphins scored a td they have 27...Falcons have 38 seconds left and just need a FG to win it with 29 points (Ice once did it in 11 seconds against Da Bears) stay with WFW junior...cool.png

You're assuming the play calling would have been different then because the final drive ended on an interception well out of field goal range.

A lot of difference in offensive play calling when you need 45 yards for a FG to win it, versus 80 yards for a TD to win it with 38 seconds doe...and you said you know football?cool.png

That why I said you're assuming the play calling would be different because he was at 20 and threw a 19 yard pass, are you saying they wouldn't have throw over 10 yards on first two plays if they just needed a FG?

Plus, you say 45 yards, they were at 20 so that means a 55 yard FG.

So basically you are making two assumptions, even though only 38 seconds left, you are trying to say they wouldn't have attempted a 19 yard pass, they would have thrown shorter and then the guy that just missed a 35 yard FG would have definitely made a 55 yard FG. But hey, Like you said, I don't know football.

A lot of difference in offensive play calling when you need 45 yards for a FG to win it, versus 80 yards for a TD to win it with 38 seconds doe...and you said you know football?cool.png

si-robertson-profile.jpg

proud of you WFW

you stuck to the topic, talked football, and schooled someone without resorting to the inane. I could get used to this

proud of you WFW

you stuck to the topic, talked football, and schooled someone without resorting to the inane. I could get used to this

Schooled? Assuming a guy that just missed a 35 yard FG makes a 55 yard FG? Or do you really believe they don't run a 19 yard pass play when you need to go 45 yards just to make it into his range knowing he missed one 65 yards down the field is schooling? Those aren't reasonable assumptions.

Schooled? Assuming a guy that just missed a 35 yard FG makes a 55 yard FG? Or do you really believe they don't run a 19 yard pass play when you need to go 45 yards just to make it into his range knowing he missed one 65 yards down the field is schooling? Those aren't reasonable assumptions.

far more reasonable than assuming a team would have done the exact same thing in different circumstances

changing the starting point of the debate and assuming the exact same series of events would have occurred is asinine

far more reasonable than assuming a team would have done the exact same thing in different circumstances

changing the starting point of the debate and assuming the exact same series of events would have occurred is asinine

It's a 19 yard pass play with 38 seconds left and a MINIMUM of 45 yards to go. It's asinine to assume they wouldn't be throwing 15-20 yard throws! An average play is 8 seconds and you need 45 yards minimum, so that's roughly 5 plays including kick.

So you have maybe 5 plays to drive a minimum of 45 yards but really need closer to 65, yet it asinine to assume they would throw a 19 yard pass again, it's not like he was intercepted on a 60 yard bomb like they did against Panthers last year when they were basically in same exact situation!

Just give it up, you're just being butthurt cause I called you out you're a fraud Italian, Can't parli Italiano, not born there, and has no issue addressing themselves by Italian ethnic slur. Arrivederci!

It's a 19 yard pass play with 38 seconds left and a MINIMUM of 45 yards to go. It's asinine to assume they wouldn't be throwing 15-20 yard throws! An average play is 8 seconds and you need 45 yards minimum, so that's roughly 5 plays including kick.

So you have maybe 5 plays to drive a minimum of 45 yards but really need closer to 65, yet it asinine to assume they would throw a 19 yard pass again, it's not like he was intercepted on a 60 yard bomb like they did against Panthers last year when they were basically in same exact situation!

Just give it up, you're just being butthurt cause I called you out you're a fraud Italian, Can't parli Italiano, not born there, and has no issue addressing themselves by Italian ethnic slur. Arrivederci!

WOW.

Just wow.

Even though Bryant missed the first one doesnt mean he'll miss the next. The dude is good for 18 out 20 easily.

The play calling would have been different. Going 50 yards compared to 80 allows some Lee way. Theres no way u can say they would of ran the EXACT same 19 yard play!!!.

Stop assuming, ur making an ASZ OUT OF YOURSELF buttercup

He was making a mockery of you saying he doesn't know football. Weak stuff.

Lol He failed....

Again

You know u fail when wfrw owns u in a football conversation. Lol

Well I see Nolan must have had Smith write his press conference statement! Lol

FLOWERY BRANCH -- Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan made his first public comments since his unit gave up a 13-play, 75-yard game-winning drive against Miami to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday.

"All right, It didn't end up the way we'd like," said Nolan, who speaks once a week and not after games per team policy. "We had several third downs along the drive that we'd like to have gotten off the field or at least created a fourth down. It was still fourth-down territory and they would have gone for it, but we need to do a better job of executing those things.

Guest fibonacci

my goodness, I honestly believe this guy is a falcon fan. (strange, but he post so many falcon stuff and never a saint stuff. and he reads the heck out of my stuff even when it is posted in anything but football)

my goodness, I honestly believe this guy is a falcon fan. (strange, but he post so many falcon stuff and never a saint stuff. and he reads the heck out of my stuff even when it is posted in anything but football)

How are you able to read since you said I was on ignore and no longer responding now 18 responses ago?

every time i see something posted by him, i open it and see its a quote from an article(of which he did not cite or provide the link to the actual article) and know this isn't coming from him/her/lambchop but instead an article in which he read so extensively that he believes football knowledge seemed to pass through him.

Matt Bryant missing a field goal.... happens once in a while.

Big As$ making an intelligent thread.... we are still waiting for it to happen.

He just wants to get under the skin of Falcons fans in RC. I asked him a serious question about what he was hoping to get out of posting in RC and he's chosen to ignore it so far (which more or less answers my question anyway).

It's a shame in that it is nice to have some new blood in RC provided that they can bring something to the table in terms of objective football talk at least 25% of the time.

He just wants to get under the skin of Falcons fans in RC. I asked him a serious question about what he was hoping to get out of posting in RC and he's chosen to ignore it so far (which more or less answers my question anyway).

It's a shame in that it is nice to have some new blood in RC provided that they can bring something to the table in terms of objective football talk at least 25% of the time.

i'm pretty new to this area and I am not a Falcon homer, but I am a Falcon fan and will always pick my team in shreds weekly picks. :)