Gotham Central Television Series May Be In Development

Shotty Nice

Not sure if any of you are familiar with the comic, but Gotham Central was a really cool comic in the early-mid 2000's that focused on the Gotham Police Department, specifically the Major Crimes Unit. While Batman's shadow looms constantly over the story, he makes very few appearances.

It's unique in that it's a gritty police procedural set in the world of costumed heroes and villains. It turns the GCPD, who are so often relegated to secondary characters or just punching bags for the likes of Two-Face, Penguin, and The Joker, into the stars of the show. The result is a really great story that adds so much more depth to what is probably the most fleshed out universe in all of comics, Gotham City.

This is obviously an idea that has spun-off from Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. although Gotham Central would serve mostly as a "Batman" story. If it gets picked up by a channel that's worth a ****, I can see it working in a big way, especially when it comes to introducing a lot of the more "secondary" Batman villains like Black Mask, Hugo Strange, Deadshot, Deathstroke (Who has already been in the The Arrow TV show), Azrael, and the Falcone Family, as well as being a good way to introduce some members of the Batman family ie. Nightwing, Batwoman, Batgirl, Robin, and Red Hood before the new round of Batman (and Batman-related) movie reboots.

I have the hugest nerd boner right now.

Looking forward to tonight. Was gonna start a thread for discussion but there is no point as the majority has already wrote the show off because it's not based on actual superheroes.

Anywho, I'll watch almost anything to do with comics so whenever they do this, I'll tune in just because I don't watch anything else special on the weeknights. Would love to see nightwing in live action

because it's not a superhero show. That's what people like you and others with no clue fail to understand. They aren't even advertising these shows as superhero shows.

The casual people who see Marvel in the title are going to expect superheroes. Most are not comic book fans like you.

Edited by Gritzblitz 2.0

I dunno I watched that thing on the Manning family which was fantastic. I DVR'd the SHIELD thing. I'll check it out tomorrow.

I'm not going to be super excited about anything in the Marvel movieverse until they get all their properties back, or at least can strike a deal with the other two studios that own their rights. It's ridiculous that Marvel can't even reference characters like Spider-man or Wolverine or the Fantastic Four. They're not even allowed to say the word "mutant" in their movies.

I can't believe that Marvel didn't have the foresight to set up a studio, or at least sell to a parent distributor studio ala DC/Warner Bros. Before just selling off properties to different studios.

The casual people who see Marvel in the title are going to expect superheroes. Most are not comic book fans like you.

That's why it would hurt to take 5 minutes to read a synopsis and watch trailers. Most people will say "hmm what's this" and will actually want to find out what it is before it airs.

So was shield any good?

I went out on a "date" and missed it and did not record it.

it was a pretty good setup show to me. They briefly, and I mean briefly mentioned what happened with coulson in the avengers, and it seems to be more than what he think so I'm sure that will come out sooner or later. If you've seen iron man 3, you will be proud to know that the extremis virus is still around. All in all it was pretty good. Again it was a pilot and he is just forming his own team

Eh, sort of. Pretty disappointed, as I wanted the actual adaptation of Gotham Central.

Looks like this one will just be called Gotham and will be more along the lines of the comic Streets of Gotham. That's a pretty dangerous title, with a series called Gotham, people are going to be expecting a lot of Batman.

Eh, sort of. Pretty disappointed, as I wanted the actual adaptation of Gotham Central.

Looks like this one will just be called Gotham and will be more along the lines of the comic Streets of Gotham. That's a pretty dangerous title, with a series called Gotham, people are going to be expecting a lot of Batman.

same scenario with marvel agents of shield. People gotta at least do their due diligence before getting their hopes up

same scenario with marvel agents of shield. People gotta at least do their due diligence before getting their hopes up

Due diligence like what? Reading up on the comic books before watching the show? If that is what's required to watch the show then it's not going to make it to a second season. By definition, network tv has to appeal to as wide a demographic as possible. If they are catering just to the comic book niche, then it's going to fail miserably.

Due diligence like what? Reading up on the comic books before watching the show? If that is what's required to watch the show then it's not going to make it to a second season. By definition, network tv has to appeal to as wide a demographic as possible. If they are catering just to the comic book niche, then it's going to fail miserably.

no. Like I said earlier, read a synopsis or watch trailers leading up to the series premiere and that kind of helps you realize that there are no Super heroes involved

If people stop thinking that they know and actually find out the truth, this wouldn't even have turned into a small debate about whether or not people will assume wither has superheroes

it was a pretty good setup show to me. They briefly, and I mean briefly mentioned what happened with coulson in the avengers, and it seems to be more than what he think so I'm sure that will come out sooner or later. If you've seen iron man 3, you will be proud to know that the extremis virus is still around. All in all it was pretty good. Again it was a pilot and he is just forming his own team

To be honest, I know nothing about comics, Im just a fan of the movies.smile.png

To be honest, I know nothing about comics, Im just a fan of the movies.smile.png

lol if you've seen iron man 3 then you know what extremis is. If you've seen the avengers, you'll know that agent coulson "died" at the hands of loki. You also know that shield is the team of agents aboard the helicarrier. His faked death is still unsolved.

The show is about coulson building his own team of secret agents so they can track down other heroes and things going on in the world and the bad guys in this season are a group called the rising tide. Completely new concept, nothing seen in comics before as far as I know.

I read an interview earlier where whedon hinted at God like villains and aliens but I don't know how far they will go because there are certain rules they must abide by.

Something new...maybe...a different perspective maybe. I also could imagine it being really difficult to do Batman up to today's elevated expectations on a TV show budget.

People are going to be pissed if they don't see batman in it.

Edited by Skareffect