What? No Trade Roddy Threads?

XXVIII-III

seriously?

Injury = no trade value

but realistically, he is a 32/33 year old wide receiver with a lot of wear on his tires. He is great for us, but no team in their right mind would give up more than a late 3rd for him in a trade. He has great production with the Falcons and could continue to have great production with the Falcons, but that is in large part due to his rapport with Matt Ryan and his ability to use his body to his advantage. Roddy White isn't Tony Gonzalez, Tony Gonzalez isn't even Tony Gonzalez anymore. The fact that Roddy doesn't rely on speed to beat DBs means he could possibly play for a few more years, but he has more value as a WR on this team than he does with any other team.

Edited by Aftermath

Injury = no trade value

but realistically, he is a 32/33 year old wide receiver with a lot of wear on his tires. He is great for us, but no team in their right mind would give up more than a late 3rd for him in a trade. He has great production with the Falcons and could continue to have great production with the Falcons, but that is in large part due to his rapport with Matt Ryan and his ability to use his body to his advantage. Roddy White isn't Tony Gonzalez, Tony Gonzalez isn't even Tony Gonzalez anymore. The fact that Roddy doesn't rely on speed to beat DBs means he could possibly play for a few more years, but he has more value as a WR on this team than he does with any other team.

age is fine WR last a long time in the nfl. Hes consistent and he has no trade value? He cant out run dbs? Watch the lions game last year please. wat crack u smoking?

Edited by Taydumz

age is fine WR last a long time in the nfl. Hes consistent and he has no trade value? He cant out run dbs? Watch the lions game last year please. wat crack u smoking?

Not really

Roddy is consistent, but no guaranteeing he will be consistent with another team. His rapport with Matt has a lot to do with his consistent production.

I'm not saying he doesn't have speed, but he isn't a guy with elite or even great speed and never really has been. The fact that he manages to outrun a Db every one in a while doesn't mean too much. Besides, the fact that he relies on timing and strength rather than speed to play the game means he may play a year or two longer than a guy in his position normally would.

I don't want us to get rid of HD. I just think he should be demoted to the 4th WR and take a pay cut. I just want us to try out one of our young receivers in the slot(Darius Johnson) just to see if he can do better. Right now, HD brings very little to the table. It's painful to watch.

Edited by Yep281986

I don't want us to get rid of HD. I just think he should be demoted to the 4th WR and take a pay cut. I just want us to try out one of our young receivers in the slot(Darius Johnson) just to see if he can do better. Right now, HD brings very little to the table. It's painful to watch.

Darius Johnson is the most overrated WR on this board...

If he was any good, he would:

a.) Be on our 53 man roster.

b.) Some other team would try to pick him up. Some teams are desperate for WRs.

c.) He wouldn't of been so bad in pre season week 4.

It's quite the opposite, we need to make a bold trade to add talent. That is the short take --- we should make a trade that brings in players, not give any away. Don't continue reading if you are illiterate, don't care about my opinion on how we could improve our team, and are one of those people who only like a few sentences and then feel the need to share your feelings with people who like to write in detail and explain the logic behind their post.

We are 1-2 and starting 1-3 right in the face with the Pats up next. Meanwhile the Saints are running away with the division, and while I don't think their team is superior to ours we will likely have to battle for a wildcard spot this year with the Saints taking the division and that means we will have to go win playoff games on the road which our current players have been unable to do.

Unfortunately Brian Hoyer seems to have sparked a will to win with the Browns with their victory this past week, and I say unfortunately because the Browns have a Top 4 defense in terms of individual talent at every level (the others are Chiefs, Seahawks, 49ers). The Browns literally have a player at each level of the field on D that would start for us or at the very least make a huge impact (the latter for S TJ Ward, who would give us an imposing 3 safety defensive set to deal with passing teams like the Saints [whose defensive turnaround has been led in part by a wicked 3 safety set of Malcolm Jenkins, Roman Harper, and Kenny Vaccarro], Bears, Packers, Pats, etc.).

I still think the Browns will listen on offers for some of its defenders, particularly guys in walk years or at deep positions.

Since this is literally Tony's last season with us, it looks like Father Time is catching up Roddy's body a little bit, Father Time continues to toy with Steven Jackson and his god-like physique --- I would say that our current Super Bowl is objectively closing and faster than I thought because of Roddy's now frequent injury issues. We can still win one, but next year with TG gone we will have to reinvent the O, and in the years to follow we will have to continue to reinvent the team when Roddy loses too many steps, SJax is gone, Blalock (our only consistent OL) needs to be replaced at LG, Asante needs to be replaced, Osi needs to be replaced, etc.

On top of that Spoon is injured and Kroy is out for the year, so our linebacking core is pretty dismal right now to be honest and our pass rush is.......unsurprisingly........non-existent (again). I blame TD for the pass rush, as anyone would know that looking at our roster that once again we would have issues getting to the QB.

Since TD has had a 50% success rate with 1st round picks, and with the best TE to have ever played the game gone after this season, I truly think we would be doing our players (TG especially) a disservice by not shopping our 2014 1st round pick to teams in full on rebuild mode for impact players on either side of the ball, but with a focus on defense. Since the Browns have a ton of depth along the DL and at OLB since they took Mingo in the Top 10 of the 1st round and he's showing well, I think the Browns would seriously consider our 1st round pick for Nose Tackle Phil Taylor and Pass Rusher Jabaal Sheard who is in a walk year. Phil Taylor is a beast of a DT when healthy, plugging holes to stop the run single handedly and also collapsing the pocket to throw QBs off. Jabaal Sheard is a wildly athletic defender who has yet to scratch the surface of his potential, although he is at the top of the league in sacks and QB pressures at this point early in the season. Sheard would be an upgrade on Kroy Biermann in his exact joker role, and bring speed and tenacity and just pure talent to our pass rusher and defense while Taylor would do the same for our defensive line and do wonders for Jon Babs. Babineaux is at his very best playing next to a big disruptive DT (i.e. Grady Jackson/Rod Coleman) so he can capitalize on the mayhem in the pocket and can't get double teamed. With a 1-on-1 and a QB and OL focusing on stopping Phil Taylor bulldozing up the middle, Babineaux can do his best Geno Atkins impression all season long.

Also with Phil Taylor and Jon Babineaux inside causing consistent havoc at DT, and with Jabaal Sheard adding an element at 4-3 DE that we've lacked since John Abraham's early days with the Falcons....A] our D-Line will be lightyears better than it is currently and cause consistent pressure and B] Osi Umenyiora will find himself in an identical situation to the one he was in as a Giant playing opposite a freakish DE and with havoc makers inside at DT (our DT duo would actually be superior). I actually think we should give up more than just our 2014 1st because the Browns have even more players that would make our defense into an elite unit which could really turn our season around in a hurry. ILB D'Qwell Jackson has long been one of the best in the business and has been criminally overlooked since he resides in Cleveland -- he is a real thumper and a true leader and has sideline-to-sideline range. His personality would mesh perfectly with Spoon's -- while Spoon is the balling extrovert who backs up his talk with his play, D'Qwell is much more like Preacher from Friday Night Lights: passionate, ferocious, introverted, leads with his play, no one wants to F*** with him, but when the going gets good he can get loud and EVERYONE notices and loves it. Also, CB Joe Haden may right this moment be the best CB in the game with Revis still not 100%. But worst case, he is at the bottom of the Top 5 behind only Revis, Sherman, Champ Bailey (I take this back, he's currently superior to Champ and I love Champ), and people can make arguments for a hand full of guys like Peanut Tillman, Jon Joseph, Patrick Peterson (better KR/PR than CB at the moment IMO), Antonio Cromartie (was a true lockdown CB last year), Stephon GIlmore (also a true lockdown CB last year, has #1 CB in NFL potential), Brandon Flowers,and some people still love Ike Taylor (mostly people from Pittsburgh). Aside from the simple fact that Joe Haden can single handedly remove a WR from a game so we can then gameplan 10 vs. 9 (non-mobile QB) and take away a team's best receiver like Steve Smith, Marques Colston, or Vincent Jackson. This would take a lot of stress off of an aging Asante Samuel who likes to play a side anyway, but more importantly it will allow our two prized 2013 rookies to progress properly and becomes shutdown CBs themselves. We don't want these youngsters to get beat by crafty NFL veterans and have their confidence shook or them to end up busting and we need new CBs in a hurry. Our secondary is average right now. With Joe Haden and Asante Samuel as the starters on the outside, Robert McClain and Robert Alford as the interior CBs nickel/dime guys, and Desmond Trufant as the 3rd outside CB who can also play inside if a team moves a traditional boundary WR into the slot like Reggie Wayne or the Bucs move VJax inside to try to get him a quick redzone look, etc.

Two big ones which they probably won't move are LT Joe Thomas (he is badly needed on this team), but also C Alex Mack (one of the top centers in the league). The Browns likely wouldn't move either guy for a 1st round pick because when you're in the hunt for a franchise signal caller you don't take away his Pro Bowl blindside protector (only the Bills do this kind of stuff a la trading Jason Peters) or his Pro Bowl snapper who both snaps the ball to him and also helps him to identify & call out the defense and get the protections correct & communicates them to him and to the rest of the O-Line. Adding these two guys to our offensive line could potential make our O-Line an elite unit as a whole which......I mean......that would be the day, wouldn't it? With Joe Thomas at LT (Matt Ryan cheers), Justin Blalock at LG (we could now run with power to the left side and consistently win that battle at the line), Alex Mack at center (Matt Ryan cheers even louder), Peter Konz and Sam Baker and Garrett Reynolds and Jeremy Trueblood could battle at RG, or Alex Mack could slide over to RG and dominate at that spot of Peter Konz really improves as a center and has a great rapport with Matt, and at RT it would be Sam Baker until Lamar Holmes is ready to take the job (I'm really disappointed in Lamar Holmes although I'm not surprised since he was not good in college that he is not good in the NFL at stopping defensive ends who are much faster and stronger than college defensive ends). The weak spot would presumably be the right side with Baker now there, but his pass protection against strongside DEs could actually be impressive and our whole Line could be great. He struggles tremendously against guys who turn speed into power (he ends up on his bum) and those guys are usually always the 4-3 RDE or rush from that side like Ware, Aldon Smith, Orakpo, Clay Matthews, Junior Gallette, JPP, John Abraham, etc. If Baker can anchor and hold his ground and not get pushed back, he is actually surprisingly "fine" most of the time. That means he would fare much better against a big strong 4-3 LDE than against a 4-3 RDE who is going to speed bullrush him. In this example, Baker would be able to hold his own against Chauncey Davis or Kroy Biermann but would struggle with John Abraham which is the absolute truth. For an opponent example, Baker would be able to hold his own just fine against Paul Kruger but would get terrorized and lose months worth of sleep over going against T-Suggs. This season so far is also a huge reminder of how sometimes you need to just keep your good players and not get cute with cutting guys to save money and to let your young draft picks "blossom". Thomas Dimitroff cut Tyson Clabo, a top 5 right tackle, to save a little bit of money that we so far haven't used on anyone else and to let Lamar Holmes be the right tackle. My lord, what a horrible mistake. Clabo is now the starting Right Tackle for the Miami Dolphins who are (surprise, surprise) 3-0 led by a young blossoming QB who has plenty of time in the pocket to make his throws to his WRs who his GM also went out and spent some coin to go get for him. If Matt had Tyson Clabo at RT so he could stand in the pocket and deliver shots to Julio deep, or so the 4-3 LDE would get stone walled and Matt could roll out to his right and have more than 1.5 seconds before having to get the ball out ---- Matt may actually have a chance at breaking some franchise passing records and take full advantage of the fact that his WRs are Julio Jones, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzalez is his Tight End for the last time.

There's also WR Josh Gordon, who would reinvigorate our offense and give Matt Ryan an elite arsenal of weapons. Yes, he is of the lowest priority but he would do wonders for our total W/L count by season's end. With Roddy hurt he would step into the #2 WR role and he would dominate single coverage opposite Julio Jones just like he dominated double coverage against the Vikings. With Roddy perfectly healthy, he would comprise the same exact role that TY Hilton had last year for the Colts which is for 2 WR sets sit on the sideline while Roddy (Reggie Wayne) and Julio (other WR) play and in 3 WR sets Roddy would slide into the slot where he could terrorize smaller CBs with his size, quickness, and adept route running skills to get open at will just like Reggie Wayne did last year en route to a comeback amazing season. This would also open things up for Tony Gonzalez who the defense would be forced to cover with a LB. If they covered TG with a safety, that would leave either Josh Gordon or Roddy White in true single coverage assuming a safety is sliding over the top of Julio Jones. Once Steven Jackson comes back healthy, or if J-Quizz or Snelling really gets rolling, he would then have a supremely light box to run against or to catch screens or swing passes and then run against. And don't forget that adding Joshy means we get to trade Harry to the Browns! Yes, the same Harry that all of you crazy people stick up for every year and say "this is the year he breaks out!!!" while ignoring that he is in his f*cking 30s now. All Harry has ever done is actually cost us victories. He basically, by himself, took a W out of the Win column last week and muffed it into an L. Sweet.

At the end of the day, since we have that $8 mil in cap room and since Matt Ryan would at this point put some money back on the table to add help in protection (if he gets hurt because our line sucks, his contract isn't worth sh*t in the long haul) and to get our defense better so we can actually go somewhere in the post season, we would be able to trade for any of these guys. But with our SB window closing rapidly, a major trade would both be bold and make sense.