Jones Gets High Praise From Belichick

falcndave

No answer to the question asked...but high Praise. Hopefully Jones can show him just what a good trade it was this Sunday!

http://espn.go.com/b...for-julio-jones

In Michael Holley's book "War Room: The Legacy of Bill Belichick and the Art of Building the Perfect Team," Holley details the rise of the Patriots under Belichick, while weaving in how former assistants Scott Pioli and Thomas Dimitroff went on to run their own teams and took many (but not all) of the same team-building principles with them.

One part of the book is timely to revisit this week, as the Belichick-built Patriots prepare to face the Dimitroff-built Falcons on Sunday night.

In 2011, Dimitroff made a bold trade in the NFL Draft to select receiver Julio Jones with the No. 6 overall pick. The trade was costly, with the Falcons giving up a 2011 first-rounder (27th overall), 2011 second-rounder (59th), 2011 fourth-rounder (124th), 2012 first-rounder and 2012 fourth-rounder. And according to Holley's book, it was a move that Belichick advised Dimitroff against making because of its high cost.

This was a hot topic when "War Room" was released, with the Atlanta Journal Constitution and others (SI's Peter King's book review) writing on Dimitroff going against the advice of one of his mentors.

Spinning it forward, Belichick was asked the following question on his regular conference call today: Has your opinion changed at all on the currency that Thomas Dimitroff gave up to trade up for Jones in the draft ... now that there have been two-plus years to see how he's developed as a receiver?

"I think Julio has done a great job for them," Belichick answered. "He's an excellent football player, period. As a receiver, he's got good good strength, good speed, good ball skills. He makes some acrobatic catches, goes up and takes the ball away from defenders. He's strong after the catch. Tough guy to tackle. He's also very good in the running game, a good blocker. He's a guy that will go in and get linebackers and safeties in the running game; he's probably about as good as anyone in the league. So it's not just his receiving skills, although they're very good. I think he's a complete football player. I know he's a tough kid, and a hard worker, and is great for their program. I'm sure that they're very happy on their team, because he does a good job in every area."

Belichick obviously likes Jones (team-high 27 catches) as a player, but his response didn't answer the direct question of whether his opinion has changed from the 2011 draft as it relates to what the Falcons gave up to select him.

That's a good topic to debate, especially when considering Jones figures to be the Patriots' No. 1 defensive priority on Sunday night.

The Hoodie would kill for a player like Julio. Pairing him with Brady would make that team almost unbeatable. Factor in the fact that they can finish games and look out!

No he wouldn't. He's the one who told Dimitroff not to go through with the trade to get him and suggested getting Jonathan Baldwin instead. Belichick must have a thing for WRs with stone hands considering how Dobson has been playing. wink.png

No he wouldn't. He's the one who told Dimitroff not to go through with the trade to get him and suggested getting Jonathan Baldwin instead. Belichick must have a thing for WRs with stone hands considering how Dobson has been playing. wink.png

I think he would love to have the player, just not pay the price for him, but then again he could have been being deceptive, trying to set himself up to make a move.

He saw his team win 3 superbowls with receiving threats like Deion Branch winning a SB MVP, and ended up with Moss for a 4th...it's not that he wants bad receivers, he just doesn't think his team needs to break the bank for a high profile receiver to win games

He saw his team win 3 superbowls with receiving threats like Deion Branch winning a SB MVP, and ended up with Moss for a 4th...it's not that he wants bad receivers, he just doesn't think his team needs to break the bank for a high profile receiver to win games

I get what you are saying, but to call Julio a "High Profile" Player is an understatement,

Considering that he is one of the Top Three Receivers in the NFL and arguably the most dangerous.

Yeah, I bet Tom Brady and Bill would give their left nuts for Julio now.

Why would they ? They are 3-0 and in process of getting Danny A and Gronk back . A QB and system will Wrs better and allow QB to put up good stats . Brady dealt with drops first two weeks but his young Wrs stepped up last week . Pats can make it to a Super Bowl without elite skilled position Wrs . That is what " ELITE QBS DO" elevate players around them

Why would they ? They are 3-0 and in process of getting Danny A and Gronk back . A QB and system will Wrs better and allow QB to put up good stats . Brady dealt with drops first two weeks but his young Wrs stepped up last week . Pats can make it to a Super Bowl without elite skilled position Wrs . That is what " ELITE QBS DO" elevate players around them

yea, hes really elevating them rofl......

yea, hes really elevating them rofl......

Wow, you are really laughing, you know whats scary is that the drops that the talented rookies had in the first two games are now all catches. See, they got open routinely, but now they are catching the ball which doesn't look good for opposing teams Kenbrell Thompkin's two touchdowns were just the tip of the iceberg. I aren't even talking about Aaron Dobson's big turn around and the great catches he made last week. Now you add that with Gronk coming back in this game, Amendola weeks later, same with Vereen and of course how Brandon Bolden broke out in both the running game and passing game and I think that we'll be laughing at a lot of teams, INCLUDING the Broncos come January.

The Patriots have a very good defense. They have probably the greatest QB of all time and a mastermind coach. When healthy, the 1st or 2nd best TE in the league. But you are gonna have a hard time convincing us about WR threats. They even pis_sed Brady off at one point. And they sure as h_ell don't compete with Denvers wideouts.

Belichick obviously likes Jones (team-high 27 catches) as a player, but his response didn't answer the direct question of whether his opinion has changed from the 2011 draft as it relates to what the Falcons gave up to select him..

Well. I think that if he were to answer it, he would say something like this...

"Fellas, the goal is to win a championship, not sit back and polish one individual player's jewels. Not to mention the fact that I, routinely, get rid of Brady's best WR every year or two. I've actually won some championships in my day. Never gave up 5 picks for a WR. How many rings has TD won? Yeah. You see. There are contenders and then there are pretenders. So you tell me. Now go on back home to your PS3s"

Edited by Breakfast of Champions