Mike Smith Has Done Above And Beyond Of What Was Asked Of Him

Theyhateme : )

After this season, It'll be time for Coach Smith to move on. He has tremendous accomplishments under his belt. If you think about it, when he got here...this team was a mess. He got this program back on track and took them 10 yards shy of the SB. Having said that. He won't EVER get as far as he did last year. I feel that his coaching won games that he should've have and it become more obvious this season... and the reason why the games were so close, well, it just depends on who's answering the question. On one hand, he's very comfortable with early leads and tacking on FGs instead of TDs which keeps the door open for an opponents comeback. On the other hand, the defense can't sustain the lead that they've been given. I don't understand the type of defense they've played over the years, regardless of the DC, but it seems to yield the same results....OPPONENT'S coming back and taking the lead, leaving us with seconds to drive the length of the field. Either way, when one looks at our situation, it's not a pretty one. It's getting difficult to hear the SAME old tired azz "Smitty" press conferences about much of nothing...."I take my hat off to the other team...blah...blah or "We've got to get better in the Redzone...." really? Thanks for the insight, but we've been watching since 2008. Coach...you've pretty much hit your ceiling here...our offense disappears as does our defense at the wrong time. So, I'll be content watching the rest of the season and cheering on The Falcons and looking for any trend that will contradict this post. Thanks for making us legitimate in the NFL again, but I think you've hit your ceiling here.

Some Coaches and GM's excell at rebuilding teams. while "most" are not.

If Smitty can change his second half game plan to go full throttle in the third

then most likely there will be more good things to come.

If not then you really have to ask who you replace him with.

Gruden is a Butcher, Shanahan is Toxic, and no freaking way will Cowher

coach in Atlanta.

Bottom line is, Smitty will spend 10 years in Atlanta.

Some Coaches and GM's excell at rebuilding teams. while "most" are not.

If Smitty can change his second half game plan to go full throttle in the third

then most likely there will be more good things to come.

If not then you really have to ask who you replace him with.

Gruden is a Butcher, Shanahan is Toxic, and no freaking way will Cowher

coach in Atlanta.

Bottom line is, Smitty will spend 10 years in Atlanta.

I can't see it at this rate....10 years? No way....I'd be very surprised if he's here next year.

I will agree if the rest of the season plays out like the first three games BUT it's way too early to tell how the season will go. Even though many posters have concluded the season is over.

I don't see how many can't see the trend since it started during the Chicago game. It's not just come-from-behind victories, we often get the ball first, go down get a FG or TD, go up by 10 to 17 points, then the between the defense not stopping the opponents and the offense falling asleep or not scoring TDs we find ourselves pulling out victories with minutes if not seconds left to play. This is not good and the rest of the NFL has caught on. We'll lose those games this year...I'm telling ya now.

then prepare to be surprised. he s not going anywhere.

If this team continues to under-perform this season and misses the play-offs this year and next, it's a pretty good bet Smith will be history at the end of next season. A fall from grace over two full seasons would produce a lot of discontent among the Falcon faithful, those fans who pay for season tickets. If those fans stop coming to games in noticeably larger numbers, Blank will have no choice but to make a change. He simply can't afford to have sparse crowds and blacked-out home games for his billion dollar stadium investment. So for all Smith disciples, you better pray he gets this soccer mom SUV of a football team out of the ditch and back into the play-offs no later than 2014 or you'll have to start worshiping him from long distance.

• 1 month later...

I got nothing but respect to the members on this board, mostly what I see is passionate fans who want what's best for the team and people who have been pushed too far for their DIFFERENT way of thinking.

With that said, I want you all to really dig deep and look at our character. I know we have no personal attachment or relationships with this team but we have chosen to be fans, Right now our team which includes our GM, head coach, all the way down to the 5th string QB are in a tough spot, they've got all the cards against them and aren't popular people that you want to back.

I think about my life and the values I decide to live by. I remember when I got locked up my boys stuck by me, they sent me money for my commissary, made sure my kids had groceries, etc.

I've changed my ways and live a decent but honest live now, my boys still stick by my side and I wouldn't be here if they didn't hold me down.

We gotta hold this team down yall, we can't impact who get's fired, cut, etc. Being a fan means choosing to back these guys through thick or thin. Not because you think they will get you a superbowl, but because you choose to back them up.

Keep it One Hundred yall, and remember it was all good just a year ago. What kinda fan do you want to be?

Much respect

I Keep It One Hundred!

Let's get Smitty a decent complement of personnel before we decide he "can't do it" Tomlin and Coughlin had quick successes, but they are both 0-3 now.

Here on full display is the total fallacy of the personnel argument. Smith had input and control over every single personnel decision made since he came here. Don't make that lame excuse for him. He and TD cannot make the correct decisions on lineman, nor can Smith hire a coaching staff that can optimize the linemen's development or potential.

I like Smith: I like TD. But their Achilles heel is too apparent to ignore any longer. They are clueless about linemen in the NFL.

Usually with our Falcons I am always a bit cautious after so many decades of Pavlovian conditioning. But right now, I have never ever been as confident of a victory this Sunday as I am now.

This has nothing to do with the Seahawks, who are a very good team, it's all about my feeling that this team has been on mission ever since that humiliating loss to the Giants last season. Even though the players and coaches have downplayed the significance of our playoff failures in the media, I am not buying that one bit. I think that loss put a fire into our team that has raged ever since the clock wound down on that moment of disgrace, and made them dedicate every fiber of their being into righting that wrong. Matt Ryan clearly demonstrated how it affected him by how much he focused on conditioning in the offseason.

In addition to that focus on winning in the playoffs, I also see a VERY different team this year by the addition of our new coordinators. They are night and day different than our previous ones, who seldom appeared to game plan effectively or make adjustments at halftime. Remember how horrible we were in the 3rd quarter last season? That is the result of our coaching staff being out-coached.

I also think the addition of Asante has had a HUGE effect on this team by bring some attitude we lacked in the past. I never really appreciated that aspect of the sport before he arrived here, but I now see why Ray Lewis has such a huge effect on the Ravens.

Finally, all those close wins and come from behind victories, which made me cringe at the time, now instill in me a sense that this team has that confidence to win no matter what the opponent is doing which was not always the case in previous seasons.

It was all good just a year ago (less than a year).

Remember we will have good and bad times, much respect brother, I appreciate your fire and passion for this team.

I posted before that I think Blank will have Dimitroff and Smith explain what they believe went wrong. Unlike many here, what we find as excuses, when compared to situations of other teams, may not seem like such legitimate ones. This will probably leave him less inclined to accept excuses for the season but want to know, more importantly, what is the plan for correcting what has gone wrong. He will certainly want to hear nothing less than a new approach, and certainly the fans are not wanting the same old dog and pony act.

If Dimitroff and Smith acknowledge and take responsibility for the situation, such as incorrect focus in drafting and personnel, provide a logical change of direction, and map out how this new approach will correct each problem and acheive the goal Blank demands, a Super Bowl championship, the two will be here next season.

If Dimitroff and Smith try to use excuses, however, Blank will probably not be to inclined to offer more time. We all know the mentality of businessmen such as Blank. They do not like excuses. They like results, and when they delegate a job to you, they expect it done come he11 or high water regarless of the situation.

After this season, It'll be time for Coach Smith to move on. He has tremendous accomplishments under his belt. If you think about it, when he got here...this team was a mess. He got this program back on track and took them 10 yards shy of the SB. Having said that. He won't EVER get as far as he did last year. I feel that his coaching won games that he should've have and it become more obvious this season... and the reason why the games were so close, well, it just depends on who's answering the question. On one hand, he's very comfortable with early leads and tacking on FGs instead of TDs which keeps the door open for an opponents comeback. On the other hand, the defense can't sustain the lead that they've been given. I don't understand the type of defense they've played over the years, regardless of the DC, but it seems to yield the same results....OPPONENT'S coming back and taking the lead, leaving us with seconds to drive the length of the field. Either way, when one looks at our situation, it's not a pretty one. It's getting difficult to hear the SAME old tired azz "Smitty" press conferences about much of nothing...."I take my hat off to the other team...blah...blah or "We've got to get better in the Redzone...." really? Thanks for the insight, but we've been watching since 2008. Coach...you've pretty much hit your ceiling here...our offense disappears as does our defense at the wrong time. So, I'll be content watching the rest of the season and cheering on The Falcons and looking for any trend that will contradict this post. Thanks for making us legitimate in the NFL again, but I think you've hit your ceiling here.

Someone on here asked the question, "Do you think Mike Smith has taken this team as far as he can?"

I thought about it and yes, unfortunately, I think he has. It might be time for someone new, but you who else is out there?

I got nothing but respect to the members on this board, mostly what I see is passionate fans who want what's best for the team and people who have been pushed too far for their DIFFERENT way of thinking.

With that said, I want you all to really dig deep and look at our character. I know we have no personal attachment or relationships with this team but we have chosen to be fans, Right now our team which includes our GM, head coach, all the way down to the 5th string QB are in a tough spot, they've got all the cards against them and aren't popular people that you want to back.

I think about my life and the values I decide to live by. I remember when I got locked up my boys stuck by me, they sent me money for my commissary, made sure my kids had groceries, etc.

I've changed my ways and live a decent but honest live now, my boys still stick by my side and I wouldn't be here if they didn't hold me down.

We gotta hold this team down yall, we can't impact who get's fired, cut, etc. Being a fan means choosing to back these guys through thick or thin. Not because you think they will get you a superbowl, but because you choose to back them up.

Keep it One Hundred yall, and remember it was all good just a year ago. What kinda fan do you want to be?

Much respect

I Keep It One Hundred!

Good post, but nobody is rooting for failure. No true fan wants to be in the position we are in. Every fan here wants Smith to succeed because that would mean the Falcons succeed. It's not a sin of fandom however to be honest about why the team isnt performing as hoped. Bottom line most people here that are criticizing so-and-so still tune in on Sundays and still come here to talk Falcons football. People are emotional. Its natural to go looking for explanations in adverse times. Some people can keep those emotions within the context of football, some are more passionate, but they still feel something. If they didnt feel something, either positive when we win, or negative when we lose, I would argue they arent invested enough to be called fanatics, or fans.

then prepare to be surprised. he s not going anywhere.

If this team continues to under-perform this season and misses the play-offs this year and next, it's a pretty good bet Smith will be history at the end of next season. A fall from grace over two full seasons would produce a lot of discontent among the Falcon faithful, those fans who pay for season tickets. If those fans stop coming to games in noticeably larger numbers, Blank will have no choice but to make a change. He simply can't afford to have sparse crowds and blacked-out home games for his billion dollar stadium investment. So for all Smith disciples, you better pray he gets this soccer mom SUV of a football team out of the ditch and back into the play-offs no later than 2014 or you'll have to start worshiping him from long distance.

Yea, I keep hearing people say "he's not going anywhere" but I don't know why they're so confident in that. Even if he does have the most wins any HC has ever had. Coaches who've gotten teams much further have gotten fired after better seasons. We're probably going to win 4 games at best and the one playoff win coupled with the bad/epic playoff losses is not going to go over well in Flowery Branch if we see more losses like the one on Sunday. Think about 9 games left with more stinkers like that and the effect that's going to have on Blank watching his team perform that poorly and seeing an empty Dome? The kicker (hypothetically) will be the Saints marching to the playoffs after kicking our tails on national TV.

Fair or unfair, the team underperforms like I think it's going to this year and Smitty isn't going to get that mulligan.