Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Padawan Knight

A Year Too Early, A Year Too Late?

24 posts in this topic

I'm sitting here at the DMV waiting to renew my tags. I've been thinking about something all morning and figured I'd use this time to type it out.

I've been thinking about the SJ39 signing. Don't get me wrong, I love the signing (in spite of his current injury status). I just wonder if Koetter is really going to know how to use him. It was obvious in the first game that SJax was not used to his full potential. We only saw one drive in the second game. So, we admittedly have a small sample size. I just know that many people talking about how Koetter's offense is best fitted with a small, shifty back. SJax is more of a huge, power runner. Can Koetter adjust?

Mike Mularkey was a run-first style coordinator. For the first two and a half years with Turner, he almost looked brilliant. Then, it seemed as though Turner started to soften up. I wonder what a Mularkey offense would have looked like with SJax in the backfield.

I feel as though Nolan is a great fit for our defense. I haven't been this excited to watch our defense in YEARS. I worry about our offense, though. It seems like Dirk doesn't know what to do with this many high-powered weapons.

What are your thoughts?

PK good thread but in all honestly it's hard to tell if the OC and DC have total control of what they want to do. The head coach is suppose to oversee and let his guys do there job without being micromanaged. I think this offense was much more effective when Matt was given the green light to call plays at the line incorporating the no huddle. That seemed to work very efficiently but we always seemed to stop using it even though it was working.

Falconsfan567 likes this

PK good thread but in all honestly it's hard to tell if the OC and DC have total control of what they want to do. The head coach is suppose to oversee and let his guys do there job without being micromanaged. I think this offense was much more effective when Matt was given the green light to call plays at the line incorporating the no huddle. That seemed to work very efficiently but we always seemed to stop using it even though it was working.

I think that's a great point. We compare Matty Ice to Peyton Manning pretty regularly. It was obvious when Peyton went to Denver that he would basically be in charge of the offensive play calling, even if that just meant a license to override a play call. I don't see why we don't give Ryan that same freedom.

I still wonder what Mularkey would have been able to do with Jackson, AND whether or not Koetter will find the best way(s) to use him.

The only thing more frustrating than watching the Falcons defense is watching the Falcons offense,some of it's is injuries etc. but **** they need help

You know guys injuries really haven't been the cause of these three games it's been coaching and execution. Some of the guys that are filling in are doing some good things as evident in the loses.

Tuggle'2 likes this

You know guys injuries really haven't been the cause of these three games it's been coaching and execution. Some of the guys that are feeling in are doing some good things as evident in the loses.

Exactly. I'm tired of hearing that injuries are the excuse for the Falcons being 1-3. That's complete BS.

Tuggle'2 likes this

I know I'm sick of this 70/30 pass/run ratio. Ideally we'd be closer to 50/50, but even a 55/45 ratio would make me ecstatic. Hell, even 60/40 would be tolerable. Our OL is actually decent at run blocking now, but they're terrible at pass blocking. We're basically what would have happened to Alabama last season if they passed 70% of the time.

Falconsfan567 likes this

I know I'm sick of this 70/30 pass/run ratio. Ideally we'd be closer to 50/50, but even a 55/45 ratio would make me ecstatic. Hell, even 60/40 would be tolerable. Our OL is actually decent at run blocking now, but they're terrible at pass blocking. We're basically what would have happened to Alabama last season if they passed 70% of the time.

I think that was part of my point. We get away from the run game way too easily. It pretty much p*ssed me off in the game against the Saints. We signe arguably the best RB in the league and then didn't let him run. What?!? I hope Koetter does better next time SJax is on the field. If not, I'll start calling for HIS head.

I know I'm sick of this 70/30 pass/run ratio. Ideally we'd be closer to 50/50, but even a 55/45 ratio would make me ecstatic. ****, even 60/40 would be tolerable. Our OL is actually decent at run blocking now, but they're terrible at pass blocking. We're basically what would have happened to Alabama last season if they passed 70% of the time.

Especially when it's working. Makes absolutely no sense. We're trying to be the Patriots or Saints or Broncos without the OL.

Especially when it's working. Makes absolutely no sense. We're trying to be the Patriots or Saints or Broncos without the OL.

They do RB by committee. We choose to focus on one.

They do RB by committee. We choose to focus on one.

Right but I meant the way we use a short passing game in place of a running game. We don't have the OL to do that. The reason those offenses are so good is that the OL is great at pass blocking so the QB is allowed to let the plays develop. Matt doesn't have time to let the plays develop so the Falcons get very little YAC yards because the plays don't have time to set up properly.

Phil Simms just said "We all are talking about what Tom Brady is doing with no name receivers but lets not forget that Tom Brady gets the best protection in the NFL. He has 5 veteran offensive linemen that have been together for a while now and gets the best protection in the NFL."

Until we can say the same thing of Matt Ryan please for the love of God stop comparing Matt Ryan to Tom Brady and asking why Ryan doesn't do what Tom Brady does.

Hate to get off topic but does anyone else get jealous watching how the Broncos fall behind and come back full throttle

Yep and how once the Broncos are up by 2 touchdowns they keep on attacking.

Yep and how once the Broncos are up by 2 touchdowns they keep on attacking.

that was probably the prettiest touchdown I've ever seen. Never thought I would see Peyton get a rushing td lol

that was probably the prettiest touchdown I've ever seen. Never thought I would see Peyton get a rushing td lol

I didn't see it because I was in the kitchen.

I didn't see it because I was in the kitchen.

it was beautiful. Bootleg at the 1 yard line. All the attention went to the rb and he pretty much walked in

Man it just pisses me off watching the broncos offense because we could operate the same way if we just keep attacking our opponents.

That's only a part of it. But Falcons don't have an OL. If they had an OL and kept attacking then they could do that on offense.

That's only a part of it. But Falcons don't have an OL. If they had an OL and kept attacking then they could do that on offense.

Peyton also gets the ball out quick as Heilbronn which helps his o line. But your right he has a foundation in front of him!