Roddy White's High Ankle Sprain.....why Is He Playing If He Is Nowhere Near 100%?

g-dawg

I really don't understand what the coaches/trainers are doing with Roddy White. He had a high ankle sprain in the 2nd pre-season game and came back to play the opener after only three weeks rest - when history of athletes show 5-6 weeks is generally what is needed for a high ankle sprain to heal properly.

Results through three games have shown a diminished Roddy White. I know he says its getting better each week - but is playing actually prolonging the recovery time? Its been 6 weeks now and Roddy still does not appear to be close to 100%.

Why didn't the coaches/trainers let Roddy sit out 2-3 games to get the ankle as close to 100% as possible. The opposing teams are rolling coverage to Julio Jones anyway right now - its not like its a secret.

It just seems kind of bizarre to me how Mike Smith and the Falcons have handled Roddy's injury. High ankle sprains are not trifling injuries.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

who else do we have ? Roddy still is a great route runner and still be used as a decoy . Julio can't beat constant double teams

you are acting like the choice is a 'hobbled Roddy' or 'air'. Drew Davis or Kevin Cone are capable of making a few plays a game. Are they as good as a 100% Roddy? of course not.......Are they better than a 60% Roddy? I believe they are.

you are acting like the choice is a 'hobbled Roddy' or 'air'. Drew Davis or Kevin Cone are capable of making a few plays a game. Are they as good as a 100% Roddy? of course not.......Are they better than a 60% Roddy? I believe they are.

that's debatable . A 60 % Roddy is still a lot better then most wrs in league especially ones on bench plus Roddy is one player on this team that has heart and will play through injury and wants to play

If the Docs have told him the injury won't get worse by playing on it, no reason to make him inactive.

I don't think docs told him that.

I've had high ankle sprains - once you have them, you are more susceptible to get them again as the ankle never totally recovers 100%. When you come down sideways on your ankle - you are more likely to not injure the ankle if you have never had a high ankle sprain before - in other words, you and I could step in the same hole on a piece of pavement and you would be less likely to injure your ankle than me if you have never had a high ankle sprain. You definitely want to give the ankle the rest it needs to recover before trying to perform on an NFL level in a football game.

Its likely that Roddy would have been more recovered by now if he sat out the first game or two and would have been much closer to 100% than he is now.

that's debatable . A 60 % Roddy is still a lot better then most wrs in league especially ones on bench plus Roddy is one player on this team that has heart and will play through injury and wants to play

so, lets look at the actual stats, shall we? A 60% Roddy has been good for 7 catches for 56 yards thru 3 games - which means he is averaging 2.33 catches for 18.67yds/game.......I would take my chances with Drew Davis being able to do more than that.

High ankle sprains can take up to a half year to heal properly depending how how much of the ligament(s) may be torn. If the sprain is bad enough (like when Terrell Owens had one playing for the Cowboys) you can have a couple of screw inserted into the lower leg to hold the tibia and fibula together until the ligaments heal. You can play with the screws in and it take 5 to 6 weeks for the incisions to heal. I think Owens played after 4 weeks. All three of his ligaments were torn and it would have taken months to get him back.

He's out there and honestly doesn't seem to be that hobbled. Several times I saw him open and Matt just isn't looking his way. It seems to me Matt is treating him as a decoy.

On one of the huge 3rd and 1s where we settled for a FG, Matty dumped to Quizz and he was stuffed by the LB. The dolphins had one defender lined up to cover both HD and Roddy. They broke down the field together and Harry went to the sidelines and Roddy broke WIDE OPEN deep post. But by that point Matt had taken his eyes off downfield and figured he could simply just get the first down with Quizz. He had plenty of time to get to Roddy because the blitzer fell down.

The ONE weakness I see in Ryan's approach to the red zone is he always goes for the minimum yardage necessary to keep the drive alive. Granted, he's VERY good at that approach. But this is NOT the philosophy of the great ones. You're just as likely to see Brees or Manning or Brady go 20 yards downfield on a 3rd and 2 as you are see them go for a sure first down. Even the Bill Walsh 49ers playbook (which is now available online) says that when they get to the 30 yard line they begin striking for the end zone. Walsh had this philosophy because of the obvious...it gets harder and harder to score the more you compress the field.

If he has a partial tear playing on it could make it a full tear. Then no Roddy all year.

And for what? A 1-2 record with maybe 5-6 receptions if that? Julio would be just fine without Roddy out there and I would say he would even fare better. The Saints knew in about 10 seconds what the deal was and after that so has every other team. Just stupid.

And for what? A 1-2 record with maybe 5-6 receptions if that? Julio would be just fine without Roddy out there and I would say he would even fare better. The Saints knew in about 10 seconds what the deal was and after that so has every other team. Just stupid.

yes, it is stupid - Mike Smith THINKS he's outsmarting the opposition when they are totally prepared for a diminished Roddy and gameplan accordingly. With the injury report being so cryptic and playing players that need to sit/heal - Mike Smith is OVERTHINKING and being to cute by half while hurting the team. Its just silly.

I am still ticked off about Abe last year - that to me is ther reason for no superbowl, and Smith still have not owned up to that fact, as far as I can tell.

I was pizzed about that for weeks but have to turn the page on last season. Also, lots of people were accusing me of "after the fact" second guessing but me and many others had multiple topics on the board about pulling starters for part, if not all of the game - i was on record that 3-4 key starters on both sides of the ball just needed to wear a ball-cap for the entire game. Compounding the frustration(remember Falcons had homefield) was when the Falcons obviously did not have their "A" or their "B" game but Smith stubbornly played many key starters down to end of the game.

While it just would have made me "feel good" and would not have changed anything - just would like to have heard a mea culpa from Mike Smith saying he made a mistake there but he could not bring himself to do it.

I am still ticked off about Abe last year - that to me is ther reason for no superbowl, and Smith still have not owned up to that fact, as far as I can tell.

No disrespect because i do think that was dumb by Smitty for playing him in a meaningless game.... I dont think you can say missing Abe was the reason we didnt make it to the superbowl.... Our mistakes where the reason... I think our D would have been about the same.

simple ... He wants to keep his streak alive and he wants to play

not so simple......players don't make the call - coaches do. The HC has made the wrong call and the stats back that up - meanwhile the player is still not 100%. just disagree w/ you here, jbo - much respect.