How Come No One Wants To Answer This Question About Mike Smith?

peoriabird

I've asked this question many time but yet no apologist is willing to answer my question...What is mike smith good at doing to help this team win??? We've established that he has no imput in personnel matter...He has no imput on offense. If he has imput on defense he should keep his thoughts to himself because they have stunk his entire tenure here. His Clock management stink, his adjustments stink, his motivation of player stink, and most of all his post game press conferences are God awful! And every time he states that he is hidding all of these innovative plays during the preseason for the regular season and you finally get to see these plays I laugh because they are just regular routine route tree plays! So tell me guys, What does Mike Smith do for you????

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what imput is but I do know that he does have input in personnel decisions and in the offense. He has said so himself. So what are you talking about?

I'm not thrilled with the job that he's doing but to say that the head coach plays no part in the games that we've won is ridiculous. You can't blame the bad on him and give him no credit for the good.

Makes sure the players know where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to be doing at the ends of the halves. (Used to) minimize penalties.

Could you elaporate a little more? Is this while on the side line or are you saying that he lines players up on offense or defense? Because in his pressor he was criticizing the defensive alignments on the last drive and I quote " We should have been playing tight coverage once Miami crossed the 50 yard line"

Players like him, he does instill discipline to the team as we are very often the lowest penalized team in the NFL year after year. Honestly the only knock on him is he is not overly aggressive and up till this year that has turned out well. Maybe after the disaster this year has become he will loosen up a bit.

Also he is good at winning, he is a top 5 coach in NFL history in win % in a coaches first 5 years in the league as a head coach. He will learn and grow as a coach hopefully the front office give him a chance to do that instead knee jerk firing.

Edited by MAD597

You can't blame the bad on him and give him no credit for the good.

So you all are quick to give credit but won't tell me what he did to deserve this credit? For example, you can tell me exactly what TD has done to help this team or even some of the players but when it comes to MS, no one can say that he is an offensive or defensive genius

You know that stat about not losing back to back games for almost 4 years? That's Smith's doing. He keeps this team focused in the rough times.

You do realize that the Falcons average almost 4 wins a year where they outscore the other team by 13/14+? That's his doing as well. The last few games notwithstanding, he's better at putting teams away that people think.

In Miami, Falcons were missing a starting DE, a starting LB, the starting RT, starting LT, starting FB, starting RB, playing a crippled WR, an old TE who hasn't got his mojo back, playing an Oline with 4 different pieces on it, a D with 6 players playing major minutes who have less than 10 starts between them, had several major ST gaffes, red zone troubles and almost won the d##n game. That's Smith's doing.

This coming week, Falcons will have put this loss behind them and come out firing again, just like they have after every loss the last 4 years. That's Smith too.

So you all are quick to give credit but won't tell me what he did to deserve this credit? For example, you can tell me exactly what TD has done to help this team or even some of the players but when it comes to MS, no one can say that he is an offensive or defensive genius

Discipline, heck we set a record for lowest yards of penalties in NFL history. Honestly though your question can't be answered cause no one here is a fly in the locker room to see what he does. All we can do is listen to his press conferences and watch him on game day.

Maybe ask a question we can answer?

Edited by MAD597

I will tell you what he is good at - not losing back-to-back games. They showed a stat in Dolphins game and Mike Smith's record after his team lost a game the previous week was like 21-4. He does not lose back-to-back games very often - guess you could say he excels at this being he had best record of any coach with more than 10 decisions after a loss.

You lame Smitty apologists need to wake up!!!!! Smitty fumbled a punt that he should not have fielded and then missed that field goal that would have put us up by six and cost us the game!!!! Smitty fumbled a snap on the 30 yard line in the NFCG and combined with his two horribly timed personal fouls after successfully stopping the Niners, he cost us that game. Smitty stinks stinks stinks. Waaaaahhhh!

Could you elaporate a little more? Is this while on the side line or are you saying that he lines players up on offense or defense? Because in his pressor he was criticizing the defensive alignments on the last drive and I quote " We should have been playing tight coverage once Miami crossed the 50 yard line"

No, I mean two-minute drill situations. He has taught the players, or caused them to be taught reliably since he has been here, that this is a time to get out of bounds, get back to the line fast, line up fast, etc. It is one of the reasons that we have won so many games. And although it seems obvious, Dallas and some others do a terrible job of it. Dallas lost to Baltimore last year because of it.

I will tell you what he is good at - not losing back-to-back games. They showed a stat in Dolphins game and Mike Smith's record after his team lost a game the previous week was like 21-4. He does not lose back-to-back games very often - guess you could say he excels at this being he had best record of any coach with more than 10 decisions after a loss.

What does he do to win these games??? Be more specific please!

No, I mean two-minute drill situations. He has taught the players, or caused them to be taught reliably since he has been here, that this is a time to get out of bounds, get back to the line fast, line up fast, etc. It is one of the reasons that we have won so many games. And although it seems obvious, Dallas and some others do a terrible job of it. Dallas lost to Baltimore last year because of it.

So you are saying that he is involved in the offense?

How do you know that its not the personnel department that looks for disciplined players

Like I said this isn't really a question anyone here can answer as you can play this game with what ever answer we give.

All we can do is watch the press conferences and watch him on gameday

You are being disingenuous, please ask a question people here can factually answer.

Some things that I can factually answer

Set NFL record for lowest penalty yards and we are always low in penalties

Players and assistants always speak well of him

Top 5 in win % for a coach in his first 5 years in the NFL all time

Obviously best Falcons coach and first one to get us back to back winning seasons.

Now you can spin all that all you want or you can ask questions here that message baord users can actually answer.

No, we can't we are not in the locker room or on the sideline during the game. You can play this game of wack a mole with any NFL coach it is pointless as you will simply say "Well how do you know Coach Smith is responsible for this good thing?"

I've asked this question many time but yet no apologist is willing to answer my question...What is mike smith good at doing to help this team win??? We've established that he has no imput in personnel matter...He has no imput on offense. If he has imput on defense he should keep his thoughts to himself because they have stunk his entire tenure here. His Clock management stink, his adjustments stink, his motivation of player stink, and most of all his post game press conferences are God awful! And every time he states that he is hidding all of these innovative plays during the preseason for the regular season and you finally get to see these plays I laugh because they are just regular routine route tree plays! So tell me guys, What does Mike Smith do for you????

When a coach has a winning record for 5 straight seasons after inheriting a mess, the burden is on you to prove it is a coaching problem. I feel no need to defend him. That is most likely why you are not getting answers.

The results were better last season than the year befor. Had he not won a playoff game, I'd be looking for an answer too.

I don't mind you asking the question at all. I just don't buy it. I've never really seen a case where a team wins in spite of a head coach. Look what happened in Dallas. The owner thought he could just plug anyone in and win with that talent...it didn't happen long once he ran Johnson off.

You are being disingenuous, please ask a question people here can factually answer.

I'm not defending anyone in this thread or helping for that matter. I just want to point out that every time someone says who would hire to replace Smith as a better option, this is the case. There is no factual answer to that either. People know that when they ask it just so they can hear people struggle. Nothing is a definite and it would be a risk some are willing to take to get that ring.

By the way I'm not saying you did this either, just a time to point it out.

You're really gonna ask this question after looking at the difference in the 2012 and 2013 Saints?

You're really gonna ask this question after 5 straight winning seasons and getting incrementally closer to the Super Bowl each year?

A good head coach is everything. And the better they are, the more they look like they are doing nothing.

coaching is not just about specifics - its about management as well and being a good steward of the talent that you possess. I think, as a head coach, Mike Smith has flaws - but he has lots of good qualities as well. His teams don't get too high nor too low and its rare that they just don't show up at all for a game (see NY Giants).

I'm not defending anyone in this thread or helping for that matter. I just want to point out that every time someone says who would hire to replace Smith as a better option, this is the case. There is no factual answer to that either. People know that when they ask it just so they can hear people struggle. Nothing is a definite and it would be a risk some are willing to take to get that ring.

By the way I'm not saying you did this either, just a time to point it out.

The thing is we are giving him answers and his only reply is "How do you know Smith is responsible for this good thing?"

This could apply to any coach, the question itself can't be answered since the OP has a single comeback "How do you know Smith is responsible for this good thing?"