Ok, So You Think Something Needs To Be Done, But What Would You Do

schwarzenegger321

I'm not talking about firing anyone or personnel changes. I'm talking about little things you would do to yield better results. These are the questions I would love to ask the coaching staff:

1. Why do we not run fade routes to JJ or Roddy when we are in the red zone? If the route is covered the play can be designed to come inside or Matt go to another receiver. There have been several pass plays that the route was open and JJ can jump a mile.

2. Why do we not run more quick slants when the corners are playing soft or the OLB's are creeping up? There should be an automatic audible for every pass play to go to a quick slant. If the D wants to give us 5 - 7 yards a play then take it.

3. Why do we not run more lead sweeps (with guard and tackle or guard and center pulling)? We are supposed to have a younger more physical line and our WR's are supposed to be the best in the league at blocking. If you want to keep the run D honest you can either run play action or outside sweeps. We don't run any.

4. Why doesn't Matt have more control of calling and changing plays? We he does we simply score.

5. Why don't we run more defensive line stunts? We might see one a game.

6. Why don't we see more press man coverage when we blitz?

Your thread made it to the 2nd page without a taker.

Here goes:

-Nolan comes out of the booth to the sideline.

-2 goal line plans: Giraffe and elephant. You figure it out.

-No more field goals until it is absolutely the thing to do.

-Smitty puts up his notebook he keeps mistakes on. My theory is he has put too much emphasis on "no mistakes". Like a golfer focusing on missing the water, ob,

sand, woods, the rough. You have to focus on what you want to do, not what you

don't want to do. Just a theory of mine.

-Bring back Jerious Norwood from the boondocks of the Canadian League.

Why? because I like him! Also, I think he is way better than who we have.

So that is a hodge podge but it would make us better.

I'd trade Douglas for a water boy, and sit decoud in order to motivate him to cut to primadona tackling. I'd take the cuffs off Ryan, and allow him to call his own plays. When Ryan was calling plays, not just checking in and out, he was unstoppable. That would include using the no huddle whenever Ryan wanted. I'd give the full set of keys to Nolan to do with the d anything he wanted. Then, if I were Smith, I'd slap myself for costing us 2 games this year, and a sb.

You play to win the game...lol. But it's true.

Red zone plays are terrible. When Ryan threw the TD pass to Tolidio(sp...the freak'n tall guy) I thought yes finally something different, but we went right back to WTF the rest of the game in red zone.

That's on the coach calling the plays. And if Smith doesn't see to it that its corrected then he and Dirk need to be let go.

On offense:

1) Take shots at the end zone BEFORE we get to the red zone. Go for the 25-35 yard post, go, or seam route AS SOON AS you get in field goal range. From one of the greatest coaches in NFL history here (the paragraph on "scoring territory")

http://www.westcoastoffense.com/bill%20walsh%20article%201.htm

2) If you DO get to the red zone, please don't outsmart yourself and try to throw a "fake screen" targeting HD. Julio can probably out jump anyone in the league. Have some plays ready that you run nowhere else on the field. From the same coach "short yardage" paragraph:

http://www.westcoastoffense.com/bill%20walsh%20article%201.htm

3) Keep balancing the run and pass like last week. But when the running game IS working well, take at least a couple play action deep shots. You'll have plenty of time if the play fake is carried out properly. See #4 for that.

4) When you run a play action pass, REALLY fake it. None of this "wave the ball at Quizz as he goes on a route" crap. STICK the ball in his belly, and PULL it out. The entire offense should be involved in a play fake, see here, from the same coach:

http://www.westcoastoffense.com/bill%20walsh%20article%202.htm

On defense:

1) Keep playing the young guys. They have energy, some talent, and WILL improve.

2) Rotate the LBs just like the DL. They get tired too. We've got depth there even with the injuries.

3) PLEEEASE play more pressure and press/man coverage ESPECIALLY against young QBs like Taneyhill.

4) Find a replacement for our bungling FS as soon as possible.

I'm not talking about firing anyone or personnel changes. I'm talking about little things you would do to yield better results. These are the questions I would love to ask the coaching staff:

1. Why do we not run fade routes to JJ or Roddy when we are in the red zone? If the route is covered the play can be designed to come inside or Matt go to another receiver. There have been several pass plays that the route was open and JJ can jump a mile.

2. Why do we not run more quick slants when the corners are playing soft or the OLB's are creeping up? There should be an automatic audible for every pass play to go to a quick slant. If the D wants to give us 5 - 7 yards a play then take it.

3. Why do we not run more lead sweeps (with guard and tackle or guard and center pulling)? We are supposed to have a younger more physical line and our WR's are supposed to be the best in the league at blocking. If you want to keep the run D honest you can either run play action or outside sweeps. We don't run any.

4. Why doesn't Matt have more control of calling and changing plays? We he does we simply score.

5. Why don't we run more defensive line stunts? We might see one a game.

6. Why don't we see more press man coverage when we blitz?

All of these are good suggestions.

I'd trade Douglas for a water boy, and sit decoud in order to motivate him to cut to primadona tackling. I'd take the cuffs off Ryan, and allow him to call his own plays. When Ryan was calling plays, not just checking in and out, he was unstoppable. That would include using the no huddle whenever Ryan wanted. I'd give the full set of keys to Nolan to do with the d anything he wanted. Then, if I were Smith, I'd slap myself for costing us 2 games this year, and a sb.

Yes sir.

Tough love is in need for thus team.

I agree with everything you said here.

Additionally:

-Bench DeCoud and start Ishmael or Motta. DeCoud doesn't get his job back until he can consistently show he knows how to tackle and not blow coverage assignments. Or go sign Kerry Rhodes off the street and give him a shot at FS. If we brought him in now, he could be ready to start after the bye week. If he's anywhere close to 2012-form, he'd be a huge upgrade over DeCoud.

-Give the play-calling duties on defense to Moore and sit Dent on passing downs. Let the nickel backers be Bartu and Worrilow, or Bartu and Chaney.

-Delegate Nicholas to special-teams only and give the SAM position to Worrilow. When Weatherspoon gets healthy, let him play SAM, leave Bartu at WILL, and let Worrilow/Dent stick at MIKE -- whichever looks better over the next few weeks.

-Bench McClain and let Alford play the nickel. He can't be any worse than McClain at this point, who's completely fallen off after a stellar 2012 campaign.

-ROTATE THE DEFENSIVE ENDS MORE. All 3 weeks, Umenyiora has had good pressure for 2-3 quarters, and then failed to harass the QB in the 4th. He's playing too much. We did a good job managing Abe's snap counts, but we're failing with Osi. Massquoi also played too much on Sunday... he shouldn't be on the field 75% of the time. Osi and Maponga should have like a 67-33 split at RDE; Massaquoi, Goodman, and Matthews should have like a 50-25-25 split at LDE. Or maybe even let Babineaux play a little more DE on passing downs, with Jerry and Peters in the middle.

-Leave Holmes at LT and Trueblood at RT next week, and see if the run game remains dominant. If it does, take some shots downfield. It's ridiculous that we tried little-to-no play action passes down the field against Miami, when we were gashing them for 5 YPC.

-Play more 2 or even 3 TE sets down near the red zone. But instead of doing a bunch of crossing routes, or having jump balls in the middle of the red zone, try more fades, posts, and jump balls. Let our skill position players earn their pay.

-Don't run Quizz Rodgers inside the 10 yard line. Just... don't. Let Snelling (and S-Jax when he returns) be the goal line backs. Or, if we are going to run Quizz inside the 10, let him get outside on a sweep or toss.

You can see my "older posts" on here about HD, Detroit is actively looking for a 3rd WR since they lost Nate Burleson, I said trade while he had value going into this Miami game, after it, not only did he have a big drop (I was at the game), how about the fumble on the punt return which turned the momentum? IF Detoit calls, get an something we need & fast, Another thing I'd do, find a Special Teams CO, we have nothing going for us there too! As for the entire coaching staff, we need a blowout win & how, there isn't a team in the league that doesn't think they can win if there's a close game after the 3rd quarter....history seems to be repeating itself each week & you have to be tired of it! I don't care, just blow a team out, we need to send the league a message! A positive, I thought the OL played pretty good until the final minutes of the 4th Q, oh, I forgot, Baker was out of the lineup!