Assuming Mike Smith Is Not Stupid, Stubborn Or Insane...

AREA 51

Why does he keep using the same approach that yields the same result, hoping for a different outcome? He spoke again about red zone inefficiency, for about the umptenth time, and I am about fed up of hearing about how they are going to work on it. Just like other problems that are obivious to all with eyes, we hear talk, only to see the Falcons stuggle in the exact same ways over and over.

I believe, like many, that overall Smith has been good for the Falcons, but unlike many, I acknowledge there are problems, the same problems, that have been plaguing the Falcons on a consistent basis. I do not promote his firing as of yet, but I am concerned with what I perceive as a lack of recognition or flexibility or creativity in correcting what is causing the Falcons to dysfunction.

If Smith is not stupid, stubborn, or insane, I can assume three things. He can recognize the problems. He is flexible in finding solutions to those problems, and he will not try the same thing again and again and hope to get a different outcome. Yet, if one were to look objectively, they could surely accuse him of being all three and feel sound in their judgement. That is a pity, because I like Smith. He runs a stable, consistent program with little distraction outside football, but he does have flaws.

So, here, let us be Smith's consultant. What would we tell Smith to do differently? Well, to start, I think he may be a tad too player friendly. This was no more apparent then when he let Gonzalez sit out of camp, which set a bad example, set the wrong tone, and underminded any urgency for the coming season. He needs to put the team first over any player, and any player holding the team back, Smith needs to put some foot to a$$.

Edited by AREA51

People tend to think Smith is untouchable here and I think they are underestimating our owner and what he wants and wants badly. Arthur Blank didn't get where he is by letting something that is holding back his organisation go on and on and on. He is a problem solver and he cannot be happy with these continual collapses in the 2nd half, I guarantee he is looking at Smith and hard. A blind man could see what is going on here and if you are working on something for 5 years (red zone efficiency) and cannot get it done you are a failure.We have more than enough offensive weapons to score in the RZ but are horrible there, that falls back on decision making and bad coaching and I will also add Koetter to the mix here. It seems both Smith and Koetter shyt the bed in the red zone, Koetter doesn't play to our strenths (throw the f'n ball in the end zone)to our ELITE recievers , Smitty panics and blows the clock and time out management. Its a gong show, so yeah coaching is the problem....we are in the red zone MORE than enough to win yet we end up with field goals which are momentum killers imo. A defense considers holding you to 3 a win so this is our main problem as I see it. Timid head coach that is over cautious , and an OC that doesn't get it in the red zone. I wont get into defense where we also have problems because if we put up the points that we should be capable of we don't need to rely on a top 10 D...

If this trend continues Smitty will be on the hot seat and it will be soon, AB and his mgmt. team monitor fan support and what they are saying, they will be fully aware of this board and the Smith hate and will be paying close attention to it as this gives them a idea of what the total fan base could be feeling.

Because if

Why does he keep using the same approach that yields the same result, hoping for a different outcome? He spoke again about red zone inefficiency, for about the umptenth time, and I am about fed up of hearing about how they are going to work on it. Just like other problems that are obivious to all with eyes, we hear talk, only to see the Falcons stuggle in the exact same ways over and over.

I believe, like many, that overall Smith has been good for the Falcons, but unlike many, I acknowledge there are problems, the same problems, that have been plaguing the Falcons on a consistent basis. I do not promote his firing as of yet, but I am concerned with what I perceive as a lack of recognition or flexibility or creativity in correcting what is causing the Falcons to dysfunction.

If Smith is not stupid, stubborn, or insane, I can assume three things. He can recognize the problems. He is flexible in finding solutions to those problems, and he will not try the same thing again and again and hope to get a different outcome. Yet, if one were to look objectively, they could surely accuse him of being all three and feel sound in their judgement. That is a pity, because I like Smith. He runs a stable, consistent program with little distraction outside football, but he does have flaws.

So, here, let us be Smith's consultant. What would we tell Smith to do differently? Well, to start, I think he may be a tad too player friendly. This was no more apparent then when he let Gonzalez sit out of camp, which set a bad example, set the wrong tone, and underminded any urgency for the coming season. He needs to put the team first over any player, and any player holding the team back, Smith needs to put some foot to a$$.

... it's beause you can predetermine failure by not sticking with a plan. The minute you make changes to keep what happened the last time from happening again, you usually cause it to happen. Whether a coach is considered a genius or a moron all depends on results. Two years ago against the aints, Smith decide that he didn't want to give the ball back because of what happened the last time and we went for a 4th and 1 at our own 29 in overtime, failed, and lost because of it and he was overwhelmingly considered an idiot. He probably learned something from that. Keep in mind, we were 13 and 3 last year with the plan. You stick with a plan like that.

For years now I've been hearing the same things about Smith from Atlanta fans that Mike Smith is a great coach. But when you talk to fans outside of Atlanta, they usually either don't know who he is or don't think that he is good as a head coach. The national media came out with their rankings this summer and following his second 13-3 record and finally a playoff win, Mike Smith finished 12 in the voting for best coach in the NFL. So I'm asking for help! Why do Falcon fans rate Mike Smith so high and not the rest of the football world? And could someone please tell me what it is that he does so well to deserve the type of teflon status that he currently has on this message board?

Edited by peoriabird

Two years ago against the aints, Smith decide that he didn't want to give the ball back because of what happened the last time and we went for a 4th and 1 at our own 29 in overtime, failed, and lost because of it and he was overwhelmingly considered an idiot.

Do you really think that the 2 scenarios are even remotely similar? Going for it in over-time on your own 29 yard line vs going for it on the oppenent 2 yard line in the 1st half of the game?

For years now I've been hearing the same things about Smith from Atlanta fans that Mike Smith is a great coach. But when you talk to fans outside of Atlanta, they usually either don't know who he is or don't think that he is good as a head coach. The national media came out with their rankings this summer and following his second 13-3 record and finally a playoff win, Mike Smith finished 12 in the voting for best coach in the NFL. So I'm asking for help! Why do Falcon fans rate Mike Smith so high and not the rest of the football world? And could someone please tell me what it is that he does so well to deserve the type of teflon status that he currently has on this message board?

Again, I'm headed towards the side that Smith is more of the problem than the solution, but still, who in the apparently always correct, national media thinks that Mike Smith is on the hot seat, or even needs to be replaced? I have not seen anybody saying that. Mike Florio mentioned it once right after the Seahawks game, wondering if Blank would have fired him, but said it would have been a mistake to fire Smith if we had lost to the Seahawks. Dan Patrick mentioned right before the Seahawks game that fans in Atlanta were saying that Mike Smith should be fired if we lost (and he disagreed). So you've got it backwards. Atlanta fans are the ones saying he should go & the national media is either not commenting or saying he's good for the Falcons.

Again, I'm headed towards the side that Smith is more of the problem than the solution, but still, who in the apparently always correct, national media thinks that Mike Smith is on the hot seat, or even needs to be replaced? I have not seen anybody saying that. Mike Florio mentioned it once right after the Seahawks game, wondering if Blank would have fired him, but said it would have been a mistake to fire Smith if we had lost to the Seahawks. Dan Patrick mentioned right before the Seahawks game that fans in Atlanta were saying that Mike Smith should be fired if we lost (and he disagreed). So you've got it backwards. Atlanta fans are the ones saying he should go & the national media is either not commenting or saying he's good for the Falcons.

I don't think you read my post correctly...I said that fans outside of Atlanta don't either know who he is or don't think he is good....I said that Smith ranked 12 amounst coaches in the NFL in a national poll.

Edited by peoriabird

yeah i mean we only have 2 effective rz targets that are out or injured, tony couldn t get seperation if he filed for divorce and jj is seeing doubles.

What about using Coffman like we used Peelle. Finally used Toilolo. Swing it out of the back field for 1 yard to Rogers or Snelling...The fade to HD is just not the play sorry!

You know, take a f'n shot, get a pair, don't keep trying the same shyt...the opposition studies tape , they know your tendencies, they know what to do , who to double etc etc. Throw the sum biotch up there you might even draw a penalty. Its frustrating like we have enough gas to get to the 15 yd line and then the wheels fall off.

The team is being lead by a soft spoken leader in Matt Ryan . Ryan is the highest paid player has all weapons anyone can ask for . Where is Matt Ryan fire ? Where is Matt Ryan leadership

Where is Matt Ryan saying in post game press conference IT'S ******* UNACCEPTABLE

This is very much a valid point I covered in another thread that got ignored. Aaron Rodgers had a confrontation with McCarthy on the sidelines, so it seems he does not accept as easily poor play or defeat as a matter of course. I would like to see some of that type of competitivness from Ryan. I am not saying he should go ballistic, just show some emotion.

If Ryan does not like playcalling or effort, than he should express that in one way or another. He has earned the right, as a veteran who has performed well, to express displeasure. Brady, Rodgers, they show that competiviness on their sleeve. Obviously, I do not want Ryan to be something he is not, but if the players know their leader is unhappy, they may feel pressure to step it up.

I think this season is already fubared so I think Smith should just let go and go all ot and see what happens. With all these injuries even if we went 4-12 his job would be safe so why not just say **** it and see what happens. At least losing would almost be more fun to watch if we were brutal and went for it every 4th down and just blitzed the **** out of everyone all the time.

I think this season is already fubared so I think Smith should just let go and go all ot and see what happens. With all these injuries even if we went 4-12 his job would be safe so why not just say **** it and see what happens. At least losing would almost be more fun to watch if we were brutal and went for it every 4th down and just blitzed the **** out of everyone all the time.

The season isn't over just yet but we've gone and made the patriots game a MUST win game or it will be,,, and it's never a good thing to being playing the patriots in a MUST game.