680 Just Said This About Our D

Nono

That we are playing not only with a couple of key players out ( Spoon & Bierman ), but that the reason we start out fast and hold the other teams offense is that they plan their defensive scheme to contain the other team all week and it works for about a half and then try to make adjustments as the other team adjust but the real problem is that we have average players.

I shook my head--average? I don't think Asante Willie Mo nor Osi is average. I'll give you Dent and maybe both our DT's (not really I think Peria and Corey Peters are playing good)

Decoud is capable of good and ugly & Nicholas should be serving hot dogs but the corners are young but their star is rising.

I'm not buying it, I still think there is a let down or loss in enthusiasim when we are leading and hit the locker room. They need to play like there is 2 minutes left in the game and throw their bodies around someone needs to fire them up a little more, do some screaming. It worked on me growing up and I'm only slightly damaged.

Edited by Nono

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its simple ... if you have a great D-Line ... That makes the back 7 look even better ..Your back 7 can cover good all they want... If you don't have good/great D-Line play.. . Your D will look average....ight now we have a average front 4.With biermann we still had a average front 4

We are good pre-game planners, and poor in-game adjusters as the first and second halves co clearly exemplify in our last five meaningful games...

Is this a coaching or talent issue one can only opine. However, it seams we have the talent to get out to significant half time leads in those games so the argument for lack of talent is highly debatable.

My opinion? I have always believed that this staff under Smith is among the poorest at anticipation and/or reaction of an opponent's adjustments.

ive said it for years.. Smitty is not a killer instinct coach he is too by the book he wont run up the score. i watched the game last night and i saw a team that didnt care if they were up by 70 they were gonna continue to try to score. thats the kinda coach id love smitty to be

Just like Matty Fieldgoal---by the book. Sigh its fun when it works and just stupid when it doesn't

As for defensive talent, our current group of linebackers just may be the weakest and our DL, overall, is among the weakest (bottom 10, IMO) in the NFL. Now couple this with DeCoud (one of the weakest FS's in the NFL) and one or two rookie DB's starting or playing significantly had there you have it...as average overall defense.

Despite this, our defense has played well enough for us to be 3-0. However, and what just infuriates me, we can never--NEVER--stop an opponent's go-ahead or game-winning drive when we need to. Never!

It proves we are getting out coached in the 2nd half. If we can scheme good enough to contain the first half, then why can't Nolan/Smith( years of experience between the 2) adjust to the opposing teams 2nd half adjustment?

I don't claim to know everything, but I do know this. Every time one of our "stud" defensive players leave, they do not perform nearly as well wherever they go. Abraham, Lofton, Milloy, Coleman, etc... We had the 5th best scoring defense in the entire league last season. Who thinks we had the 5th most talent on defense last year? We had a better scoring defense than Pittsburgh, Cincy, Houston, and Baltimore. Were our players more talented than them?

From that defense, we've been playing without 3 of our starters (not including Abe since we got Osi). And when I say starters, I'm not talking about mediocre one's like Dent, DeCoud, and Nicholas. I'm talking about Spoon, Asante, and Biermann. Defensive coaching is the least of our worries in my opinion. The problem is health and talent.

The same goes for our offense. Clabo was considered our stud OL and he's been garbage. Dahl has been ok and has had his moments in St Louis, but overall is not a premier RG and their running game shows that. Our star RB? I'm not sure whether or not anybody even worked him out. Nobody can sit here and tell me that our offense would not be playing at a much higher level if Roddy, SJax, and Ewing were healthy, not to mention the OL shuffle we've had to play due to 2 starters being injured (one on IR). We've essentially been playing without 5 starters on offense (half our starters) and 3 starters on defense.

Some of you might be too young to remember, but we used to have real coaching problems. The kind of problem where we'd lose 1 starter and our entire team would collapse. We've lost 8 starters so far and we've lost two road games to undefeated teams. We lost by 3 yards to NO's and 40 seconds to Miami. This is not a coaching problem. I've seen coaching problems, and this is not what it looks like.

Osi, Babs, Asante & Moore are the only above average players we have on our D not currently injured. Not sure what everyone else sees. Potential with rookies like Alford, Trufant & Bartu but all those guys are still learning and going to make mistakes like they did Sunday.

Like someone else said our LB crew was/is VERY pedestrian. There's a reason TWO undrafted rookie LBs are getting so much time on the field. Nobody other than Babs and Osi are proven consistent commodities on the line and there's no reason to even mention DeCoud as poorly as he's played.

Not saying that Nolan shouldn't or can't coach them up but overall...very average.

I was really excited when we signed Mike Nolan and I called a friend who is a huge Dolphins fan. He said Nolan is good, but he can't hold a lead in the second half. He told me that before Nolan coached any game for us.

Since he told me that I've watched that happen in most of our games. He texted me Sunday and said he couldnt believe the Dolphins somehow won that game. Then he said he told me Nolan can't hold a lead.

I've been trying for a long time to understand the problem and I still don't, but I am starting to wonder how much Nolan is to blame.

If you can execute in the first half, but can't in the second half that has nothing to do with talent. It's either coaching or conditioning.In our case I think it's both. We are as talented as any team in the league.

The injuries weren't the reason we lost to Dolphins. Bartu, Massaquoi, Snelling, Quizz, and Worrilow weren't drop-offs in performance from the first week when we had Spoon, Biermann, and Jackson.

Coaching is more than just scheming, it's leadership, it's fostering an atmosphere, and putting players in position to execute. Miami had more mistakes and lapses than we did, yet they found a way to win the game. We need to stop with the excuses.

When the Steelers fire Tomlin, bring him in. Goodbye Smitty.

The Steelers aren't gonna fire Tomlin. They've had 2 coaching changes in 50 years. And they've also had 6 Lombardi Trophys. Think there might be a connection?

And this is the EXACT reason there's no chance in he11 Blank will fire Smitty unless he has several sub-par years in a row. After the Vick/Petrino fiasco Blank went back and studied the successful franchises. He spoke with the Krafts and the Rooneys. The thing they preached to him was continuity. EVERY YEAR we've gotten closer to a championship. Blank would have to be a moron to fire Smitty right now. And all you idiots should just clam it cause IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU SCREAM AND WHINE.

I don't claim to know everything, but I do know this. Every time one of our "stud" defensive players leave, they do not perform nearly as well wherever they go. Abraham, Lofton, Milloy, Coleman, etc... We had the 5th best scoring defense in the entire league last season. Who thinks we had the 5th most talent on defense last year? We had a better scoring defense than Pittsburgh, Cincy, Houston, and Baltimore. Were our players more talented than them?

From that defense, we've been playing without 3 of our starters (not including Abe since we got Osi). And when I say starters, I'm not talking about mediocre one's like Dent, DeCoud, and Nicholas. I'm talking about Spoon, Asante, and Biermann. Defensive coaching is the least of our worries in my opinion. The problem is health and talent.

The same goes for our offense. Clabo was considered our stud OL and he's been garbage. Dahl has been ok and has had his moments in St Louis, but overall is not a premier RG and their running game shows that. Our star RB? I'm not sure whether or not anybody even worked him out. Nobody can sit here and tell me that our offense would not be playing at a much higher level if Roddy, SJax, and Ewing were healthy, not to mention the OL shuffle we've had to play due to 2 starters being injured (one on IR). We've essentially been playing without 5 starters on offense (half our starters) and 3 starters on defense.

Some of you might be too young to remember, but we used to have real coaching problems. The kind of problem where we'd lose 1 starter and our entire team would collapse. We've lost 8 starters so far and we've lost two road games to undefeated teams. We lost by 3 yards to NO's and 40 seconds to Miami. This is not a coaching problem. I've seen coaching problems, and this is not what it looks like.

Thank you for a breath of logic and sanity in an insane world.

No they are--very average players. There are NO game changers on this team (except maybe Julio at times). The rest would be backups on most teams.

The radio station is correct.

We've got about ONE game changer. Julio.

A few years back Abe could be a game changer. No more.

The coaches have made a darn solid team out of a lot of aging vets and low-mid round youngsters.

I'm still trying to figure out how people got it in their head that we had this All-Pro talent across the board.

Offense:

OL - Can anyone say that anyone on our line is "good?"

RB - Outside of Jackson, no one fears Rodgers or Snelling

TE - Tony Gonzalez was great when he was the best at what he did, which was being solid run blocker and a top flight short/mid range receiving threat... and he hasn't performed to standards. Anyone really convinced Coffman and Toilolo are "good?"

WR - A hobbled Roddy White behind one of the two legit good/great players on our offense. Harry Douglas has never been good.

QB - Matt Ryan is a legit Top 5 QB.

Defense:

DT - HAHA. No. Babineaux is 2009?

DE - Osi is meh... and then?

OLB - Bartu has been okay... outside that?

CB - Asante is good when he's playing, our two rookies have been solid at best.

FS/SS - Moore has been the only "good" player on defense, and DeCoud as been god awful

This is what happens when our ******* idiotic GM spends 5 draft picks on Julio yet we are outscored by a team with Mike Wallace , Briant Hartline and some scrubs . It's embarrassing to be outscored by that team . Defense suffers from lack of top tier talent . Mike Nolan is extremely overreated and becomes soft when game is on line . Front 4 lacks a consistent pass rush and the blitz packages are usually noticeable and have no creative design to them . This defense lacks play makers and lacks tough nose hard football players . Finese DEFENSE .. FINESE OFFENSE

EQUAL - PLAYOFF FAILURES

Surely you do not refer to Peppler, Campbell, Henning, Glanville or Jones, right?

Good post!