Expectations And A Bad Start

BendFalcon

Like most of you, I look forward to Sundays to root for my team. I've been a Falcons fan since 1972, when I told my dad that I liked the team with the bird on the helmet. So I started following the Falcons and through the good and bad times I still followed and always hoped for the best.

We've seen success recently that has changed the way many of us feel about the Falcons, and each year brings not only hope, but raised expectations. The current regime has brought a winning culture to the team. What do we mean by 'winning' though? Winning games? Winning the Division? Or do we truly feel that every year, only one team is a winner. The team to win the Super Bowl.

I'm in PokerSteve's camp. I just want the team to win a Lombardi. I'd give up all the past 5 years for one Lombardi and 4 abysmal seasons. To know that during one glorious NFL season, your team was the best.

This could be the year, but with our current expectations, a 1-2 start has brought a dark cloud over our hopes and dreams. I wanted the team to dominate the Saints, and we lost. We beat the Ram's, but for some reason, watching the game left me with more concerns than optimism. We punched the Fin's in the mouth for the first half and then laid over in the second half as usual.

This team plays like a complacent group, that bought into it's own hype. Maybe we as fans did as well.

Perhaps our expectations have become too high? Maybe a 1-2 start is what the team AND the fans needed.

I think the next two weeks will be very telling for this team. The Pat's are coming to town, and the Falcons need to show the country that we may come into the game at 1-2, but this is still a championship caliber team, and one to be reckoned with. The season is not over yet...we're 3 games in and we've been hit by the weight of the teams and our expectations. It's time to wake up and get on with it.

The sky is not falling, and the next few weeks will be very telling.

Guest Negatorris

Sure the sky isn't falling, but most of the crazy fans on this board won't believe that. There's a pattern:

-Get up extremely high expectations

-Expect blowout of other team while forgetting to actually analyze matchups

-Get bummed when the game is too close or lost

-Rage because the game didn't go as smoothly as they thought

-Complain until we win the next game

-Rinse & Repeat

Been this way since '10.

Sure the sky isn't falling, but most of the crazy fans on this board won't believe that. There's a pattern:

-Get up extremely high expectations

-Expect blowout of other team while forgetting to actually analyze matchups

-Get bummed when the game is too close or lost

-Rage because the game didn't go as smoothly as they thought

-Complain until we win the next game

-Rinse & Repeat

Been this way since '10.

Yeah, I hear you. It's hard some times to be a sports fan. It brings out the bipolar person

in most of us. The last 3 seasons the team has developed a alarming trend.