Archer & Bell Get Heated!

Dusty

Today on 790, Dave and Mike get VERY heated and intense over this weekends loss to Miami. At one point Dave questioned whether or not Mike was sober enough during the game to even make a rational analysis today.

Mike Bell says Mike Smith needs to grow a pair and Dave Archer says players need to make plays. It's week 3 and we are on fire in the "A"!!!!!!

Today on 790, Dave and Mike get VERY heated and intense over this weekends loss to Miami. At one point Dave questioned whether or not Mike was sober enough during the game to even make a rational analysis today.

Mike Bell says Mike Smith needs to grow a pair and Dave Archer says players need to make plays. It's week 3 and we are on fire in the "A"!!!!!!

Let's see, one of those guys played the game at the highest level possible. The other is a failed standup comedian with a drinking problem.

I'm gonna go with the ex-NFL player on this one.

They're fine. Bell was arguing from a fan's perspective and Archer was arguing from the perspective of a former player. Neither was truly "wrong" with what they were saying and they were fine. I tend to agree more with Archer though. He did talk about some questionable play calls like the toss to Snelling when he's not a speed guy but overall plays that weren't made by guys like DeCoud, HD, etc. are what cost us.

Of course players need to make plays, and I'm normally in Smitty's corner but these 1st and goals leading to 3 points is beginning to suck. Yesterday the revamped OL was playing pretty **** good would have been nice for the coach to show some faith and see if they could have punched it in. If the Birds had a top 10 defense I'd could see saying leave it to the defense but this isn't a top 10 defense.

Those are the type of people we need to announce our games! People who know football, and actually like the Falcons. They need to face Mike Smith and co. head on with those type of questions!

Someone asked earlier this week what exactly is Smitty ball?? Well, you've watched it the past three weeks. Conservative / Mediocre play calling which gets us down the field and unable to convert on third and one. The same way it's been for the past 4 years. I'm not saying Smith is a bad coach, he's done a great job turning around our franchise. But if you're gonna be a winner, you have to be able to change in this league, do new things and keep the things you do fresh and executable. That's the problem at this point.

I want to agree with Dave but doesn't that come down to coaching? Is it not the coaches position to get his team mentally ready to take on their next team? Is it not coaching that helps develop the plans on how to attack the opposing team? Is it not coaching that decides who to play and who too sit each week? Yes, the players have to execute but its coaching that's puts them into position to win. For example, I read an article to day about player snaps break down from this past game. LB Nicholas played 11 snaps and is supposed to be a run stopper then why would he have been put in coverage on Miami TE who scored a TD? I'll tell you "COACHING"!!

Of course players need to make plays, and I'm normally in Smitty's corner but these 1st and goals leading to 3 points is beginning to suck. Yesterday the revamped OL was playing pretty **** good would have been nice for the coach to show some faith and see if they could have punched it in. If the Birds had a top 10 defense I'd could see saying leave it to the defense but this isn't a top 10 defense.

He addressed it in the press conference today saying that the red zone efficiency was on him. I think that's just him falling on the sword though knowing that the offense and the OC are going to get blamed. I find it hard to believe that Smitty lets Dirk call the plays and then imposes his will on red zone play calls.

There's been quite a few coaching moves that have been head scratchers this year. Mostly having to do with starting guys out of blind loyalty when there are better options on the bench.

He pretty much benched Nicholas from the get go. I dont think that is the case honestly.

Dent is in his 3rd year and you want to see where his development goes b4 giving up on the kid. Not sure who else we're talking about.

That being said, this whole team needs to wake up.

He pretty much benched Nicholas from the get go. I dont think that is the case honestly.

Dent is in his 3rd year and you want to see where his development goes b4 giving up on the kid. Not sure who else we're talking about.

That being said, this whole team needs to wake up.

I agree. This staff doesn't throw guys under the bus but you can tell when they're in the dog house. I've been saying Nicholas stinks since last season and had no idea why folks were in love with him here. Clearly the staff is not a big fan of his at this stage either.

DeCoud could really only be the other guy we're talking about. I think they're just hoping to get more of what they saw last year before they give serious consideration to going to a rookie but he's been in the dog house before back in 2010.

That is on Koetter, he is the one having issues with Red zone play calling not Smith.

Smith is being a good HC and trying to take the blame.

I also thought it was interesting that they said on the show today that the Miami fans and sports media was looking to THIS GAME as the litmus test as to whether they had actually arrived and were a good team or not. As John Michaels said that's little consolation after a loss but it should give folks an indication of how the Falcons are looked at across the league.

Mike bell is a fan through and through. He'll give his honest opinion and not give a **** what fans or the organization think.

He realizes he's a fan and his opinions should probably be tempered. He's said as much on the show. As he said today it was a tough game to stomach b/c there was NO REASON we should have lost that game.

That said, as a fan he knows he can be irrational at times. Rational individuals run the organization and that's how it should be.

He addressed it in the press conference today saying that the red zone efficiency was on him. I think that's just him falling on the sword though knowing that the offense and the OC are going to get blamed. I find it hard to believe that Smitty lets Dirk call the plays and then imposes his will on red zone play calls.

Me either which means more than likely its Koetter decision. Heres the thing I don't think they need to go into full tilt ballz to wall run and gun etc, but an adjustment of 10% or so offensive calls would be nice, and would probably catch some defenses sleeping on it since they can get so conservative in their grind it out offense. Just a tweak here and there and have some faith that the offense can get that 4 and 1 because they aren't firing anybody so they had better adjust.