Worrilow & Bartu Vs. Dent & Nicholas

Kayoh

Let's look at all three phases. This is for all three of our first three games.

VS THE RUN

A "stop" in the running game is defined as a tackle that forces an offensive failure, or for the offense to fall off schedule. Translation, any tackle that forces the offense to gain less than 40% of the required first down yardage on first down, less than 60% of the required yardage on second down, or less than 100% of the required yardage on third or fourth down.

Paul Worrilow: 3 run snaps, 0 stops, 0 missed tackles - kind of tough to fault him for that with 3 snaps.

Joplo Bartu: 25 run snaps, 5 stops, 1 missed tackle - good for a 20% rate

Akeem Dent: 54 run snaps, 7 stops, 4 missed tackles - good for a 13% rate

Stephen Nicholas: 8 run snaps, 0 stops, 0 missed tackles - again, tough to fault him, but he'd need 1 stop every 7.5 run snaps to match Bartu

RUSHING THE PASSER

Paul Worrilow: 6 pass rush snaps, 1 hurry that caused an interception

Joplo Bartu: 9 pass rush snaps, 1 shared sack with Dent, 1 hurry

Akeem Dent: 20 pass rush snaps, 1 solo sack, 1 shared sack with Bartu, 3 hurries

Stephen Nicholas: 1 pass rush snap, no pressure...no big deal.

PASS COVERAGE

This is the part I really want to emphasize. It is a passing league, after all.

Paul Worrilow: 9 coverage snaps, 1 target, 1 reception allowed, 2 yards allowed (L.Miller)

Joplo Bartu: 84 coverage snaps, 11 targets, 6 receptions allowed, 56 yards allowed (T.Austin, A.Pettis, D.Richardson, L.Kendricks, C.Clay, B.Gibson)

Akeem Dent: 93 coverage snaps, 9 targets, 8 receptions allowed, 107 yards allowed (D.Sproles, P.Thomas, M.Colston, T.Austin, C.Givens, I.Pead, D.Richardson)

Stephen Nicholas: 6 coverage snaps, 2 targets, 2 receptions allowed, 7 yards allowed (C.Harkey, D.Sims)

AVERAGES

Worrilow: 0.22 yards allowed per coverage snap

Bartu: 0.67 yards allowed per coverage snap

Dent: 1.15 yards allowed per coverage snap

Nicholas: 1.17 yards allowed per coverage snap

So, what conclusions can be drawn?

Step 1. Demote Stephen Nicholas to Special Teams and for the love of all that is holy, NEVER let him host D-Block again. He is the weakest link.

Step 2. Move Akeem Dent to Sam LB and let him blitz more. Dent is not great in coverage, but he IS a very good blitzer, and one of our best run defenders now that Biermann is out for the year. Let him be our poor man's Von Miller.

Step 3. Bartu's usage has been excellent so far - he's entrenched as our starter at Will LB until Spoon's return, but I'd personally like to see him stick around as our starter there even when Spoon is back and ready to go. Which brings me to...

Step 4. When Spoon gets back, move Bartu over to Sam and decide who to use in nickel situations from there.

But above all else, Step 5. NEVER let Stephen Nicholas on the field in nickel packages or key situations again, and ONLY ever let Dent on the field in nickel packages if he's rushing the passer.

Spoon playing Mike is not what we want,when he is healthy he needs to regain his spot and move Bartu to the Sam spot. Let worrillow start at MLB. And eventually have worrillow call the plays and let spoon be spoon.

That would work too. Worrilow can play all three spots, though, and I'm not sure if Bartu would be able to hold up against the run on the strong side. That's kind of why I suggested moving Worrilow to Sam with Spoon in the middle.

That would work too. Worrilow can play all three spots, though, and I'm not sure if Bartu would be able to hold up against the run on the strong side. That's kind of why I suggested moving Worrilow to Sam with Spoon in the middle.

fair enough, I think Bartu would hold just fine, and the Sam usually covers the TE more for us so Bartu playing that side prob b better

Well put, changes need to be made and Nic needs to be off of the field, at least as a starter. We've made the move with Bartu, now just give Worrilow some rotation time. We saw him force pressure and cause that pick yesterday, let him have more. What do we have to lose? It's not like Dent is any better.

I never understood that. Why would you want a LB to cover the TE? Wouldn't you ideally want the SS doing that?

well you normally want the Safety roaming the middle as help, he is usually the last line of defense so u have a backer cover a TE. Although their aren't many that can do such a thing due to the position evolving into more of a WR type spot

D-Block doesnt need to be canceled. But they need to do something other than that crappy "interview" garbage. Nobody wants to know where players are from....its on the internet. Give us something that is actually interesting. I know they dont have time for a car show every week but that stuff is cool. A day in the life of Dblock kind of thing. Show us around the facility. Film guys at lunch. Random things.

Bartu & Worrilow were in the game on the last drive that got the TD so... and Nicholas played that pass the best he could because he held dude's right arm down, he couldn't help that Sims made a one handed left hand catch on a perfectly placed ball

how is him holding a TE arm playing it the best he could? He got beat and panicked, if he drops it the dolphins get a first,down for holding by the defense. Try and defend and fight fir the ball not hold a dude's arms

how is him holding a TE arm playing it the best he could? He got beat and panicked, if he drops it the dolphins get a first,down for holding by the defense. Try and defend and fight fir the ball not hold a dude's arms

yep he walked right past him for a free catch. But why blame that on one play. They waltzed right down the field and we couldn't stop it. ****, for that matter, if we converted half of our redzone opportunities the TE catch in the endzone is a mute point.

interfering was the best play, that ball was thrown perfectly and there was no way he could defend it. who knows he may have gotten away with the hold.

yep he walked right past him for a free catch. But why blame that on one play. They waltzed right down the field and we couldn't stop it. ****, for that matter, if we converted half of our redzone opportunities the TE catch in the endzone is a mute point.

wasn't blaming it on one play. It rarely is 1 play to fully blame. Just was pointing out to what he had stated

Ive been saying for the longest Dent is not the bum most make him out to be,,, The guy is just a good/solid 2 down LB.

And yea... I think this is Nics last year. We would save 2-3 mil cutting him next year.

What i would do.... Cut Nic and Beirmann.... With Babs, Peters, and Peria FA.... I would purely work on getting me an impact player or players in FA on the D-Line...

We have young pieces on D.... They will shine if we can build a good D-Line

They need to pull the plug on D-block. Only bring it back if the LBs are playing lights out and the team is winning, winning, and then winning.

I've been on this train since last year. They are too playful and not serious about being a dominant defense. Take their "baby" away and it sends a big message real quick. It's not a coincidence Bartu and Worrilow are our best LBs.