Is Decoud Being Phased Out?

SpoonSmacked

I saw the backup S Schillinger in on defense at the end of the game. Are they slowly giving him play time so he can be ready to fill in or did Decoud already get benched? Anyone else notice this? How comfortable would you guys be with Shann back there?

1) Not comfortable at all.

2) It was at the very end of the game. We have no depth behind WillyMo and Tommy with both rookie safeties inactive, so Shann being in was probably a purely rotational move. I wouldn't read that much into it.

Schann was back their in the endzoje cuz we went with a stacked defense I'm sure Decoud was out their as well?

I don't remember seeing him because it was a tight camera shot, but he could have very well been out there as well.

I just remember seeing Shann's number and being immediately shocked, because I almost forgot he was still on the roster.

1) Not comfortable at all.

2) It was at the very end of the game. We have no depth behind WillyMo and Tommy with both rookie safeties inactive, so Shann being in was probably a purely rotational move. I wouldn't read that much into it.

1) I'm not comfortable with Decoud back there now. Shann might be the lesser of 2 evils. We know he tackles better than Decoud.

2) It was the end of the game but you could also argue that it was the most important play of the game. I hope that Shann or one of the rookies can impress enough to convince the coaching staff to bench Decoud. Since when do we rotate our safeties?

1) I'm not comfortable with Decoud back there now. Shann might be the lesser of 2 evils. We know he tackles better than Decoud.

2) It was the end of the game but you could also argue that it was the most important play of the game. I hope that Shann or one of the rookies can impress enough to convince the coaching staff to bench Decoud. Since when do we rotate our safeties?

We did quite a bit of rotating last year. Particularly toward the end of the season.

The person I REALLY want to see phased out & cut is HD. He was 1-6 at passes to him yesterday then muffed a punt that cost us the game. Choke artist that has been a liability since the NFCCG.

Without HD, we don't come close to beating the Saints in week 1. HD has his moments of both good and bad, just like every other player. He has done well, and he's not Akeem Dent bad.

The person I REALLY want to see phased out & cut is HD. He was 1-6 at passes to him yesterday then muffed a punt that cost us the game. Choke artist that has been a liability since the NFCCG.

but, but but.....he made a heck of a catch on the fade in the end zone. He just cannot make those kind of catches in bounds.

You should be upset at Decoud for that muffed punt. Not only did he get the ball ripped away from him by a long snapper but he was also responsible for the gunner forcing that fumble. Decould whiffed on his block at the LOS and let the gunner run free on that play. When you have a gunner running full speed at your returner and nobody slowed him down or got in his way then a play like that is inevitable.

I saw Shillingrer out there. I'm not sure if it was a dime situation or if maybe they're getting him some experience. Can't come soon enough imo.

I've rewatched the game and it is very clear to me that Decoud is a major problem on this defense. Here are three plays where he cost us significantly:

1) On the Finns' first TD, Babs split a double team and had the tackle at the LOS. But Decoud took a bad angle, came in from the side, and literally knocked Babs OFF the running back. He never even made an effort to get an arm on the runner, he simply smashed in there running parallel to the line of scrimmage and wedged between Babs and the runner. Absolutely boneheaded play. It looked like he just wanted to get a helmet in there to pad his stats. Similar to the infamous Keith Brooking play at the goal line many years ago.

2) On the wide open TD Decoud was nowhere near his man. Yes, it's true that it was Trufant's responsibility to bump the receiver and try to give Decoud a little extra time, and I haven't seen the all 22. But I'm not sure where the heck Decoud was going. He was on the screen even with the slot guy before the snap. Then he likely went deeper and went off screen. But there was no play action or any action over toward the Dolphins' right side, and the slot guy took an out route to the left. So Decoud was either incredibly slow to react or somehow got sucked into thinking he had responsibility for someone on the other side. Which is ridiculous to think. Either way he was accountable.

3) It was Decoud and Franks' job to block the gunner that caused the fumble on the punt. Franks at least gave an effort and put a helmet on him a couple times. Decoud simply ran along as backup, then allowed the gunner to blow right past him and cause the fumble. Decoud was also the closest to the fumble and the first one on the ball. But he (and Franks) allowed the Dolphins' long snapper take the ball away giving them great field position for the tying touchdown.

These three plays above account for 21 points and Thomas Decoud was at least partially accountable for every one of them. I don't know if we have anyone better to fill in behind the guy, but we need to find someone. FAST.

Edited by since68andcounting

I saw Shillingrer out there. I'm not sure if it was a dime situation or if maybe they're getting him some experience. Can't come soon enough imo.

I've rewatched the game and it is very clear to me that Decoud is a major problem on this defense. Here are three plays where he cost us significantly:

1) On the Finns' first TD, Babs split a double team and had the tackle at the LOS. But Decoud took a bad angle, came in from the side, and literally knocked Babs OFF the running back. He never even made an effort to get an arm on the runner, he simply smashed in there running parallel to the line of scrimmage and wedged between Babs and the runner. Absolutely boneheaded play. It looked like he just wanted to get a helmet in there to pad his stats. Similar to the infamous Keith Brooking play at the goal line many years ago.

2) On the wide open TD Decoud was nowhere near his man. Yes, it's true that it was Trufant's responsibility to bump the receiver and try to give Decoud a little extra time, and I haven't seen the all 22. But I'm not sure where the heck Decoud was going. He was on the screen even with the slot guy before the snap. Then he likely went deeper and went off screen. But there was no play action or any action over toward the Dolphins' right side, and the slot guy took an out route to the left. So Decoud was either incredibly slow to react or somehow got sucked into thinking he had responsibility for someone on the other side. Which is ridiculous to think. Either way he was accountable.

3) It was Decoud and Franks' job to block the gunner that caused the fumble on the punt. Franks at least gave an effort and put a helmet on him a couple times. Decoud simply ran along as backup, then allowed the gunner to blow right past him and cause the fumble. Decoud was also the closest to the fumble and the first one on the ball. But he (and Franks) allowed the Dolphins' long snapper take the ball away giving them great field position for the tying touchdown.

These three plays above account for 21 points and Thomas Decoud was at least partially accountable for every one of them. I don't know if we have anyone better to fill in behind the guy, but we need to find someone. FAST.

Thank you for your astute analysis..... Bravo my friend ! Bravo !!

The sad thing is I can easily name 3 more.

1. Decoud took the worst angle I've ever seen on the long Lamar Miller run. Had he taken a decent angle that play would have gone for 12-15 yards.

2. On the last drive of the game Decoud was in man coverage on a huge 3rd down play and allowed the completion.

3. After completely whiffing on his block on the previous punt return, he got a holding penalty which cost us good field position at the end of the game.

And just to add to one of the plays you mentioned, he could have easily wrapped up on the ballcarrier on that Td run and stopped him short.

The sad thing about this is that Decoud has a laundry list of bad plays like this for every game this season.

Based on his performance so far this year I'd bench the guy to send a message. Unless the dropoff is SOOOO huge to his backup that we just can't afford to do it. But it's not like he doesn't make any plays. He occasionally MAKES plays. But he makes a lot more boneheaded plays than smart plays. He reminds me of Falcon teams from the late 80's and mid 90's. Just constantly looking stupid out there.

You should be upset at Decoud for that muffed punt. Not only did he get the ball ripped away from him by a long snapper but he was also responsible for the gunner forcing that fumble. Decould whiffed on his block at the LOS and let the gunner run free on that play. When you have a gunner running full speed at your returner and nobody slowed him down or got in his way then a play like that is inevitable.

Wow. If you add that to the list of horrible DeCoud plays this season, then he needs his azz benched IMMEDIATELY.

I don't know what happened to him, and I don't know if he can get it back, but right now he doesn't even deserve a spot on a COLLEGE roster.

for Sham Schillinger.....I sure hope not!

if we draft at the end of round 1 again next year, we should grab a FS. They are usually real good draft value there.

I think by next season there would be capsavings bycutting ties with DeCoud. I know his contrat escalates pretty quickly after year 2.