Why The Mike Smith Hate

killamane

Do you guys seriously want to fire our most winningest head coach in Falcon's history. Fine... Lets say he gets let go. Who will replace Mike Smith?

I think most people here got used to us winning a lot like last season, so now that we are losing people are going all hysterical now. You do realize there are 17 weeks in an NFL season and each week is a week where a team can get better regardless of injuries.

We played a solid game yesterday and there were just events in the game that favored Miami. It was 2 solid teams going head to head and the best team came out on top plain and simple.

However, I would like to see Koetter replaced with a person like Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, or Tom Moore(LOL).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith was good enough when we were run first and building, but has not developed with our team.

I was thinking of this but couldn't put it into words. I don't want Smith fired, but I'd like to see a change, that goes for our players as well. Everyone needs to change. Even the fans. We aren't exactly on the same level as Seattle or Pitts. Maybe that comes with a SB. I think they are all connected. Get one the others will come.......Hey look, Field of Dreams reference. Never thought that would happen.

Look what happened when San Fran changed coaches two years ago.

Heck look at the Bears this year when they made a change

Based on opinion isn't a fact that we would automatically hire a coach that would make us an instant cellar dweller. I mean, there is no chance we might actually hire a better coach is there. Things just don't work that way do they?

I have been a Smith supporter for his entire tenure in ATL BUT it is concerning that the team has consistently had lapses in the second half of games, lost leads and had to play catch up or lose the game. When Smith first joined the team he had more fire than now. Just go back and look at the Hall interaction during the Washington game. The team emulated his passion. That has changed and the team seems to lack a killer instinct. I don't want Smith fired at this point but his approach must change if ATL is to get to the next level.

he's the bobby cox of the nfl. alot of wins no championships for falcons.thats ok if that satisfys YOU. but TD.BLANK and SMITH himself said it wasn't enough for THEM! It's not enough for us long time,REAL fans!

Don't you ever compare Smitty to one of the best ball coaches of all time.

I have been a Smith supporter for his entire tenure in ATL BUT it is concerning that the team has consistently had lapses in the second half of games, lost leads and had to play catch up or lose the game. When Smith first joined the team he had more fire than now. Just go back and look at the Hall interaction during the Washington game. The team emulated his passion. That has changed and the team seems to lack a killer instinct. I don't want Smith fired at this point but his approach must change if ATL is to get to the next level.

I think he did the same with Antonio Bryant. I miss that coach. Didn't we do something to collect money to pay his fine? That's when we were all in.

Here’s the issue, and here is where the Mike Smith hate comes from. His teams do not believe that when they get ahead, they can put a team away or for that matter hold onto a lead. We come out fast, look like we are going to blow a team’s doors off, and then we completely change. We get tight, we look scared and all the things that got us out to that lead suddenly disappear. This is not a recent phenomenon. As it has been stated ad nauseum, our last 5 games have followed the same script – fast start, double digit lead, complete collapse, hold on to a close win/be crushingly defeated. The whole problem with what Smith has become is not necessarily how he coaches a game, but the fact that his teams do not play with confidence and they do not believe that they can win, even when they are up big early. 5 games in a row that we should have won easily by double digits each time have become last second wins or crushing defeats. Great coaches want to create a culture of winning, Mike Smith has created a culture of hoping not to lose. He did a tremendous job with this team when he was first hired and was exactly what this franchise needed, but he has proven that he is not the guy to get this team over the proverbial hump. Look at where we are, are we really any better off than we were 3 years ago with MM and BVG? We have had the same issues for 5 seasons, settling for FG’s and struggling defensively on 3rd down. If we want to say that Koetter/Nolan was an upgrade over the previous coordinators, then Smith is the constant. Why are these still issues? Why do we preach and preach about competition at positions all offseason long, when it is obvious we will never make a change? Why can a guy like Thomas Decoud make absolutely no effort to make a tackle for 3 weeks and not be pulled off the field once? It’s things like this that breed the Smitty hate, and things like this that make it obvious that we need either a change in attitude, or a change in coaching.

With all this being said. I think we would have been better if Arthur Blank hired Rex Ryan as our head coach. I wanted Rex Ryan than Smith.

You guys may hate him but he took the jets to the AFC championship game. He built a beast defense in 2 years. He did all that with Sanchez at center.

I hate dwelling on the past but just as a discussion would Rex Ryan be a better fit?

If they fire him another team will be getting a good hc. Maybe we can go get another up and coming college coach? That worked real well last time.

Good, not great. Yes because there is absolutely no chance we would ever trade up and get a better coach is there. I swear some of you must have been beaten down in life by ex-wives or something. Geesh.