For Those Of You Blaming The Defense...

JD dirtybird21

You are downright in denial. The defense has 2 or 3 "stars" on it and one of them (Spoon) wasn't even on the field yesterday. The defense did it's job in getting turnovers and forcing a few punts. The offense however (which has at least 5 stars), couldn't finish what they started SEVERAL times. If you watched the game from beginning to finish, did you notice how the Falcons would EASILY drive the ball into Miami territory and then suddenly just freeze up and end up kicking field goals? That right there, is poor play calling. Yesterday's loss was 100% Mike Smith's fault. Not Ryan's, but Koetter's, not the defense, but Smith's. I'm reading a lot of posts of people defending Smith and throwing out "5 straight winning seasons" and "Best coach in Falcons history." I agree with those statements, and I'm not saying that Smith should be fired right this second. But the NFL is what have you done for me lately and Smith has NEVER been able to overcome these flaws listed below and it's starting to give me doubts.

1. He makes bad decisions

Smith should have gone for it on 4th down yesterday in both the 4th quarter AND the end of the first half. On 4th and 1 situations, the defense has to worry about a QB sneak, a handoff to snelling, or a pass to Julio, Roddy, or Gonzalez. That's seems VERY tough to defend. This kind of stuff has happened during Smith's whole tenure as head coach. He goes for it when it's a bad idea and doesn't go for it when it's a good idea. When you're up by 3 with 3.5 minutes to go, you should at least try to get a first down and score a game clinching TD. Your offense is designed to be unstoppable! Going for it on 4th in OT deep in your own territory is probably not the best idea. Bad decision making.

2. He has no killer instinct

This explains the constant meltdowns in the 2nd halves of games. When you're up by 17 points, DON'T CHANGE YOUR GAMEPLAN!! Smith has this dumb philosophy of "Sportsmanship" or something and while I do understand it, it's TOO much sportsmanship if that makes sense. If you're up by 20 in the 4th, you can probably stop lighting up the scoreboard. If you're up by 17 at half time, you should probably continue to do what's been working this whole time. Bottom line is, the Falcons have won so many last minute games thanks to Ryan but they've also lost A LOT of games that at one point, they had double digit leads in. In fact, the last 3 losses have been games the Falcons have had a double digit lead in. Smith won't put teams away.

3. He can't coach in pressured situations/big games.

In last years playoff games, he got better, but I feel like this was a growing thing for Ryan, not Smith. Ryan lit up the best 2 defenses in the NFL in both playoff games last year. However, the teams came back because Smith took his foot off the gas pedal and his defense all of sudden couldn't stop anything. You ever notice how every year that the Falcons make the playoffs, it's always when they've comfortably clinched a playoff spot? Even in 2011, it didn't come down to the wire. It's when the playoffs start, it's now "win or go home" and the team looks completely different. This isn't because of Ryan, or the defense. The head coach is simply getting out coached in big games.

I'm not saying fire Mike Smith right now. But he is the one to blame for the Falcons inability to dominate opponents and get the team a championship. And the worst part is, it's starting to show in the regular season now. He's exactly like Marty Schottenheimer. If the Falcons go one and done in the playoffs, he'll need to be fired. It's that black and white.

I agree with these statements. I do not want Smith to be fired but it is apparent this is his M.O. now. I do like your argument, "You ever notice how every year that the Falcons make the playoffs, it's always when they've comfortably clinched a playoff spot?" Starts to make me think this mentality of approaching the second half of the season is what we see in the second half of games now.

I disagree with #2 I think that's Smith's problem he doesn't change his game plan in the second half and the opposing team does and our offense stalls. To me we over ran the ball yesterday, dolphins came out at half time ready to stop it and they actually did a good job at it. He doesn't know how to balance the pass our run on one drive we pound the rock the whole way then all of a sudden pass it result FG...then we come out with the D on their toes 3 straight incompletions mind 2 of them where drops. But by then Ryan hadn't really been passing the ball for a rhythm passer that's bad. Just my opinion on the matter tho

"2. He has no killer instinct

This explains the constant meltdowns in the 2nd halves of games. When you're up by 17 points, DON'T CHANGE YOUR GAMEPLAN!! Smith has this dumb philosophy of "Sportsmanship" or something and while I do understand it, it's TOO much sportsmanship if that makes sense. If you're up by 20 in the 4th, you can probably stop lighting up the scoreboard. If you're up by 17 at half time, you should probably continue to do what's been working this whole time. Bottom line is, the Falcons have won so many last minute games thanks to Ryan but they've also lost A LOT of games that at one point, they had double digit leads in. In fact, the last 3 losses have been games the Falcons have had a double digit lead in. Smith won't put teams away. "

This is what bothers me the most, we have an offense that could score alot of points and put games away. I think he does change it and that is the problem, if it is working in the first half than stick with it until it no longer is working in the second half. And furthermore, why is Matt not running the no huddle ever, we really destroy teams when we run it. Are they just not letting him or are they afraid to?

Edited by Falconjerome

"2. He has no killer instinct

This explains the constant meltdowns in the 2nd halves of games. When you're up by 17 points, DON'T CHANGE YOUR GAMEPLAN!! Smith has this dumb philosophy of "Sportsmanship" or something and while I do understand it, it's TOO much sportsmanship if that makes sense. If you're up by 20 in the 4th, you can probably stop lighting up the scoreboard. If you're up by 17 at half time, you should probably continue to do what's been working this whole time. Bottom line is, the Falcons have won so many last minute games thanks to Ryan but they've also lost A LOT of games that at one point, they had double digit leads in. In fact, the last 3 losses have been games the Falcons have had a double digit lead in. Smith won't put teams away. "

This is what bothers me the most, we have an offense that could score alot of points and put games away. I think he does change it and that is the problem, if it is working in the first half than stick with it until it no longer is working in the second half. And furthermore, why is Matt not running the no huddle ever, we really destroy teams when we run it. Are they just not letting him or are they afraid to?

You make a great point about the no huddle and again, that's pure coaching and play calling.