Time Management

mckinnon91

Okay.........so someone tell me why that as yesterday's game was winding down and the Dolphins were in relatively easy feel goal range that we never called a timeout when it was obvious that the Dolphins would tie us up at a mininmum and at least give us a chance to get back down the field and get a field goal attempt of our own?

Yes I know that this is a mute point to a degree because of how the game ended, but it just seemed to be pi$$ poor clock management. I rarely have anything negative to say about Coach Smith but I was really unhappy with game management in this contest.

Yeah, I definitely think when there was about 1:30 on the clock (the play BEFORE we called timeout) we should've used one. They burned a good 40 seconds there.

Maybe Smitty was trying to keep open the option to use the middle of the field. But either way as strong as the Dolphins' defense is, I think we needed to allow our offense more time. It's one thing when you just need a field goal. But we needed a TD.

It's not just yesterday its every game this man has coached for us. He is awful with clock and time out management just awful. This is a basic of pro level coaching and Smith cant grasp it , I believe he kicks field goals to get him out of having to operate in tight windows as he panics when that happens. 3 time outs 4th and a half yd on the 2 yd line? its "we better take 3" if you are going to do that take some time off the clock instead of letting them march down and score before the half and taking away the momentum. This is one of many examples and it is costing us games. And yes folks there is such a thing as Smitty ball and we are going nowhere fast with him at the helm. Cant anyone see this in the organisation ??? cant someone close to him say "hey Mike grow a pair" all this talent and its going to waste. We basically dominated that team in every aspect other than coaching and that's what killed us.

It's not just yesterday its every game this man has coached for us. He is awful with clock and time out management just awful. This is a basic of pro level coaching and Smith cant grasp it , I believe he kicks field goals to get him out of having to operate in tight windows as he panics when that happens. 3 time outs 4th and a half yd on the 2 yd line? its "we better take 3" if you are going to do that take some time off the clock instead of letting them march down and score before the half and taking away the momentum. This is one of many examples and it is costing us games. And yes folks there is such a thing as Smitty ball and we are going nowhere fast with him at the helm. Cant anyone see this in the organisation ??? cant someone close to him say "hey Mike grow a pair" all this talent and its going to waste. We basically dominated that team in every aspect other than coaching and that's what killed us.

Its hard to knock coach smith when you look at the wins/loss record since he came here. I do agree with some of your points though.

I'm still really upset we weren't using our timeouts during Miami's drive. It's insane that we got the ball back with only :38 seconds left, when we had 2 timeouts still! Unforgivable that we ended that game with 2 timeouts in our pocket.

I was screaming for the defense to just let Miami score once we got inside the 2 minute warning, because they clearly weren't going to be able to stop anyone. At least that would've given Ryan a chance at a strong drive instead of some desperation heaves with only 30 seconds to go.

Okay.........so someone tell me why that as yesterday's game was winding down and the Dolphins were in relatively easy feel goal range that we never called a timeout when it was obvious that the Dolphins would tie us up at a mininmum and at least give us a chance to get back down the field and get a field goal attempt of our own?

Yes I know that this is a mute point to a degree because of how the game ended, but it just seemed to be pi$$ poor clock management. I rarely have anything negative to say about Coach Smith but I was really unhappy with game management in this contest.

I love Coach Smith but he has some serious issues with clock management ...there'sz no way you don't use your timeouts when Miami was burning the clock at the end....they were either going to score a TD or kick FG. Xxxx

Smitty's clock management or lack of yesterday was inexcusable.

Calling a couple of Time Out's not only would have preserved the clock,

but it would have given our D a chance to catch their breath.

Ot also kills the momentum of the hurry up offense.

I am not bitter about the loss, because the loss was on the Coaches.

I'm still really upset we weren't using our timeouts during Miami's drive. It's insane that we got the ball back with only :38 seconds left, when we had 2 timeouts still! Unforgivable that we ended that game with 2 timeouts in our pocket.

I was screaming for the defense to just let Miami score once we got inside the 2 minute warning, because they clearly weren't going to be able to stop anyone. At least that would've given Ryan a chance at a strong drive instead of some desperation heaves with only 30 seconds to go.

That's what I was saying. Concede the touchdown to Miami and leave Ryan plenty of time to work back down the field.

Smith failed on all aspects of coaching in that game. No ifs ands or buts about it. Piss poor job on his part. Just plain turrible turrible turrible.

And let's not forget Smitty's great use of timeouts in the Saints game. At the end of the game he used a time out on third and goal and again on fourth to preserve over 40 seconds of clock, instead of letting it run down to say maybe 20 seconds.

If you use them smartly, you call one with 15 seconds left, then if you don't score, you use the other with maybe 5 left giving yourself enough time to score on a fourth and goal play, yet NONE for your opponent. I think the man likes kicking the ball so much, he wanted to have to kickoff if we'd have scored!

We had two time outs and he used them both to make sure that even had we scored to take the lead, Smitty ball would have given the ball back to Brees with over 40 seconds left, needing only a field goal to win.

He panics and either uses them stupidly or keeps them in his pocket like he can save them for next week.

Clock and time out management have to be the most basic of coaching requirements. yet, here we are with a coach who has one of only 32 jobs available in the world, and he hasn't a clue how to do this simple task. angry.png

That's what I was saying. Concede the touchdown to Miami and leave Ryan plenty of time to work back down the field.

My wife was sreaming the same thing. If our defense had shown some ability to stop them, maybe you hold there, but they had not, so maybe you accidentally let them score. While she was screaming about that, I was wondering why in the he11 Smith was not calling timeouts. The clock was running out.