The Reason - We Have To Plan Around Our Oline It Changes How We Call Games

DMT11

We are not takeing 5-7 step drops because we cant, we are not running the ball with sjax like we were cuz we couldnt- they tried, but we cant just waste downs for the sake of trying. We ran the ball yesterday because we game planned around to do it, but we have to plan to mask our weaknesses on the oline. When you get in the redzone, it becomes much harder to mask - and this is what we are seeing, TB missed on HD breakout screen, blaylock missed mult blocks etc. The oline is just in dissarray right now and we are trying to cover it up but - if they gel and start to get it together, you will see us start to stretch the field and be more of what Koetter would like to do - other little things make it harder like Roddy being hurt and Tony being a little behind, these things are adding up and creating what we are seeing, if you really want to blame someone, Clabo is playing terribly - dont blame TD for letting him go, but yes TD deserves some blame for drafting the way he has - we have the most stacked OFF in the NFL probably - so hey you cant have it all, your going to gamble some players are going to be good enough and step up - they have not yet.

We are not takeing 5-7 step drops because we cant, we are not running the ball with sjax like we were cuz we couldnt- they tried, but we cant just waste downs for the sake of trying. We ran the ball yesterday because we game planned around to do it, but we have to plan to mask our weaknesses on the oline. When you get in the redzone, it becomes much harder to mask - and this is what we are seeing, TB missed on HD breakout screen, blaylock missed mult blocks etc. The oline is just in dissarray right now and we are trying to cover it up but - if they gel and start to get it together, you will see us start to stretch the field and be more of what Koetter would like to do - other little things make it harder like Roddy being hurt and Tony being a little behind, these things are adding up and creating what we are seeing, if you really want to blame someone, Clabo is playing terribly - dont blame TD for letting him go, but yes TD deserves some blame for drafting the way he has - we have the most stacked OFF in the NFL probably - so hey you cant have it all, your going to gamble some players are going to be good enough and step up - they have not yet.

This is correct. Our play calling was designed to protect Ryan and the young OL in multiple ways:

1) Run the ball. That gives the OL confidence.

2) Short drops. That keeps Ryan from getting killed, but also takes away some of our explosiveness.

3) Red Zone...the defense is giving everything they have to get to the QB. So the protection is tougher. Also, the defenders all play jam coverage, so it usually takes longer for routes to develop and there's less space in which to run them. All this in combination with our weakness at OL works against us.

3) Red Zone...the defense is giving everything they have to get to the QB. So the protection is tougher. Also, the defenders all play jam coverage, so it usually takes longer for routes to develop and there's less space in which to run them. All this in combination with our weakness at OL works against us.

BINGO - everything in football is connected, thats why coaches always say its not just one thing -

Clabo is playing terribly - dont blame TD for letting him go, but yes TD deserves some blame for drafting the way he has - we have the most stacked OFF in the NFL probably

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/OL

We aren't. This is only through week 2, but I don't think we gave up a sack at all yesterday. Miami on the other hand, with Clabo, now has 10 sacks given up to our 7. I'm ignoring the adjusted rate which factors intentional grounding, although it is relevant and probably shouldn't be ignored.

This is an excellent site for these kinds of obscure stats and rankings.

Special note: by their numbers, Holmes is our strongest link in the offensive line.

Fun extra super bonus note: Through the first 2 weeks, only one team in the NFL saw their running back stuffed behind the line more than the Falcons.

It will be interesting to see what this looks like with the week 3 info.

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point."

Its all about context - holmes is the strongest link for a reason - the line looked better yesterday because of the way they called the game. There is a reason the receivers are not running deep and out routes, julio is running slants, curls and digs - its a game plan to mask. We didnt give up a sack because we pushed the ball out right away or dumped off, we are dink and dunking right now. Very little play action almost none yesterday actually. Play action is our strongest asset when we are rolling with no huddle or not.

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point."

Its all about context - holmes is the strongest link for a reason - the line looked better yesterday because of the way they called the game. There is a reason the receivers are not running deep and out routes, julio is running slants, curls and digs - its a game plan to mask. We didnt give up a sack because we pushed the ball out right away or dumped off, we are dink and dunking right now. Very little play action almost none yesterday actually. Play action is our strongest asset when we are rolling with no huddle or not.

I agree on the play action. We should've seen a couple play action deep routes in the 3rd quarter from the "I" formation. Cause we were absolutely busting their chops with the running game. Do a LEGITIMATE fake and put the ball in and pull it out, not one of those "pseudo" fakes where the ball never comes close to the RB. Ryan would have had ALL DAY to throw in that situation.

I mean, statistics can be used when you don't have a solid argument and people have a habit of misrepresenting them, but thats not the case here. I'm agreeing with you that our line is bad, I'm just saying that we aren't the most sacked team in the league at all. I think that may be the Giants with more than double us.

We are definitely playing dink and dunk. Its exhausting to watch. We did the same thing against the rams. Ryan was 12 of 15 for short passes against the rams, but only for 67 yards. I don't understand why we didn't go to play action more yesterday as it looked to me like our run game was well established in the first half. Maybe they just don't want Ryan turning his back to the line for fear of death?

I think a healthy Roddy will help things, but it worries me to see Ryan look like he's playing to avoid getting hit like in 2011. I wish TV coverage would occasionally show more of the field. If a qb is backing up, they ought to zoom out to show the receivers. Maybe that way it will be harder to see Konz get thrown sideways too.

EDIT: I type bad

Edited by quazi

It will def help with Roddy - because he can take the underneath stuff with Tony so theyll have 2 elite talents to cover underneath and julio will have time, still the line has to hold up and they feel that it wont, or know that it wont, so again we are planning around it - hope Baker comes back 100% he hasnt been this year. Not sure when he got hurt, must have been in training camp. We need much better results from oline for our offense to fully come to fruition though -

I mean, statistics can be used when you don't have a solid argument and people have a habit of misrepresenting them, but thats not the case here. I'm agreeing with you that our line is bad, I'm just saying that we aren't the most sacked team in the league at all. I think that may be the Giants with more than double us.

We are definitely playing dink and dunk. Its exhausting to watch. We did the same thing against the rams. Ryan was 12 of 15 for short passes against the rams, but only for 67 yards. I don't understand why we didn't go to play action more yesterday as it looked to me like our run game was well established in the first half. Maybe they just don't want Ryan turning his back to the line for fear of death?

I think a healthy Roddy will help things, but it worries me to see Ryan look like he's playing to avoid getting hit like in 2011. I wish TV coverage would occasionally show more of the field. If a qb is backing up, they ought to zoom out to show the receivers. Maybe that way it will be harder to see Konz get thrown sideways too.

EDIT: I type bad

You can't just use sacks as your point, Ryan gets the ball out quickly and when he is sacked it's on the OL, where as Tannehill had very little pocket awareness and most of those sacks yesterday were on him not the OL.

I'm fairly certain you don't know what my point was.

Edit: seriously. Finish reading the first **** paragraph.

This says otherwise Azz hat

Lol, are you kidding?

You read that, and your take away was: quazi thinks our offensive line is good because we haven't given up the most sacks.

You can't possibly have actually thought that was my point. I refuse to believe that falcons fans are this stupid. You can't be real. There, now I can sleep again.

Its also going to take a few weeks to adjust to all these injuries and see what we can do and what willl be best moving forward - we didnt have any in this game I dont think. This game was a toss up I guess, we def should have won this one. We are just going to have to play around with it, hopefully we get it ironed out this week during practice.

Yep.. we resort to quick drops and trickery cause we cant keep the heat off Matty

There was no explosiveness because both Roddy and Julio are hobbled. Roddy's bread and butter is his impeccable route running and with a sprained ankle he can't make the sudden cuts he needs to do that and although Julio had a good game he was clearly not himself as he looked noticeably slower and couldn't make it more than a few plays before having to go to the sideline to rest up so his knee is bothering him much more than people like to admit.