Falcon's Talent Has Outgrown Mike Smith

AmaZze

I truly believe the talent on offense has outgrown Mike Smith's coaching philosophy. When you have top tier talent across the board on offense, you should hurry the tempo of the game not prolong it. All of our possession count so much because we have 7-8 minute drives which cut down our play count. We need to run more plays in a game and let our playmakers...make some plays. Like Mularaky, Smith was the perfect coach for rebuilding this team. However, he now has a Lamborghini but treats it like a lawnmower. I'm not saying fire Smith, but he needs to change his philosophy. Otherwise, we won't beat elite teams when the time matters.

He lost this team today. Tony Gonzalez didn't come back for this...Steven Jackson didn't come here for this...

I can tell you this, as competitors, Our guys are BALLERS!!! Julio, Roddy, Matty, Tony...Spoon, the entire team. With the exception of Decoud.

When I say "ballers" I mean THEY HATE LOSING and WANT to play with fire and URGENCY. They want to be cut throat relentless hang 50 on the Rams type of team.

Asante could be playing a LOT more "loose" but I think these guys find it hard to give a fcuk when they know Mike Smith has the heart of a church house mouse.

Today...when he kicked before the half, SMITH sucked the all of the fight out of this team. When he THREW on 3 & 1 multiple times, SMITH sucked the belief out of this team.

We're soft, the entire NFL knows it...even the announcers called it BEFORE FREAKING KICKOFF

We're playing a reckless sport in glass slippers... Get this guy the FCUK outta here. Prior to today, I was somewhat neutral on the Mike Smith front...but if I here "uncharacteristic, in terms of, it's not just one guy" or any of his freaking ISM's I'm gonna puke.

He lost this team today, for good. It's been slipping away since the Raider game last year...they won't give him 100% again. They don't believe he'll do the same.

Edited by King Syrup Golden 32 Oz

I think I have figured out TATF.

Good coaching move = Nolan & Koetter are brilliant.

Bad one = Mike Smith's fault.

Objectively, Mike Smith's teams play with the theory that not making a mistake >>>>>> making a big play. Koetter's offense is generally very good between the 20's and struggles in the red zone - I remember when he was hired he said his goal was to score td's on 60% of red zone trips. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't your goal be 100%? Nolan's defense is bad on 3rd down and worse when we need a game ending stop.

These have been issues for awhile, but somehow we've managed through them. This year, the stuff that gets us beat in the playoffs has been getting us beat in the regular season so far.

To be fair, I think it was 4th and Goal from the 2...but your point remains

It was 4th and a little over a foot from the 2... but yes, they point remains the same. We had run for almost a hundy and we were blowing them off the ball. Would have been a good time for PA on 3rd down, or at least another shot at it on 4th, worst case scenario they gotta go 98 yards...

I think I have figured out TATF.

Good coaching move = Nolan & Koetter are brilliant.

Bad one = Mike Smith's fault.

We have the same team philosophy since 2008. Grind it out and play discipline football. This can work for some teams, but our team doesn't have a elite defense to close out games against elite teams. We need to run more plays and hurry up the tempo. The reason Matt is good at no huddle is because defense can't get into exotic defenses. Matt can pre-snap read the defense and determine his progression easier since defenses are in basic coverage (cover 2, cover 3, man, etc).

We have the same team philosophy since 2008. Grind it out and play discipline football. This can work for some teams, but our team doesn't have a elite defense to close out games against elite teams. We need to run more plays and hurry up the tempo. The reason Matt is good at no huddle is because defense can't get into exotic defenses. Matt can pre-snap read the defense and determine his progression easier since defenses are in basic coverage (cover 2, cover 3, man, etc).

Awesome post! This philosophy worked great in 08 when we were young and undisciplined and needed wins. But now we've outgrown it. We can't keep doing this crap if were going to win a SB. Most coaches learn to adapt and grow with their team but Smith is so d*mn stubborn.