Oline Weakness More So Than Coaching Hurting This Team.

falcons4life

Yes the coaching might not be grade A but I really think it's the lack of quality QB protection that is hurting the team more.

Ryan wasn't sacked today but how often was he hit or pressured or rushed into throwing before a route developed? That last INT had someone in his face and pulling his jersey!

So the coaches gameplan quicker passes, less downfield routes that take time, and many many more running plays.

This is basic pass protection and giving your QB a reasonable pocket and time enough to throw downfield. Our OLine cannot do it effectively.

Until the OLine learns to pass protect or we get some new guys, expect less of an explosive passing game and more short passes and running in order to keep Matt Ryan alive.

Yes the coaching might not be grade A but I really think it's the lack of quality QB protection that is hurting the team more.

Ryan wasn't sacked today but how often was he hit or pressured or rushed into throwing before a route developed? That last INT had someone in his face and pulling his jersey!

So the coaches gameplan quicker passes, less downfield routes that take time, and many many more running plays.

This is basic pass protection and giving your QB a reasonable pocket and time enough to throw downfield. Our OLine cannot do it effectively.

Until the OLine learns to pass protect or we get some new guys, expect less of an explosive passing game and more short passes and running in order to keep Matt Ryan alive.

Go peruse my O-Line thread. There were very few pressures or hits on Ryan. On two of them it wasn't the line: Tony whiffed on another block on one; Snelling failed to seal off the back side (the left) on another. Reynolds got beat, but made me proud when he tackled his man and managed to no get called for holding. I only saw Holmes get beat once, but Ryan had already gotten rid of the ball.

The line did better than I expected in run blocking.

In pass blocking, they adjusted the playcalling to only quick routes, and Ryan still seldom had time to step into a throw. Just because he does pretty well getting rid of the ball very quickly off his backfoot, doesn't mean that's how it was supposed to go. I'd like to see this offense with the QB having good time in the pocket.