Hypothetical Question About Mike Smith And The Future.

hellosma

I am a huge fan of Mike Smith and this staff (unless we are up by 3 scores) haha. Anyways, I had a sports guru ask me a question yesterday that I didnt know how to respond, it really made me think. His question is as follows:

"If Mike Smith fails to take you all to the next level yet again with how stacked of a team you have... at what point do you make a move? Do you stay the course and continue to come up short during this teams best window at a lombardi since the franchise started? Or do you make a coaching change based on who you could possibly get?" He then named 3 coaches who could very possibly be salivating to come here.

1. Jon Gruden.

2. Bill Cowher.

3. This is where my mind started really thinking, he said what if they went after Nick Saban to come take over our program and give us that dominant, ruthless, killer mentality? (Basically throw tons of money at him)

This question was just asked to me by an insanely avid sports fan looking in from the outside and I couldnt answer it and im still playing with the idea in my head. Have we hit a point of diminishing returns with this head coach?

Im just putting this question out there to you guys. I just want some other Falcon faithful to give some input on this.

nick saban sux as an nfl coach so no to him, idk is jon gruden would come back to the nfl he loves being an announcer, cowher..i think we went after cowher before mike smith and he declined the offer. then there is always the schottenheimer tought on smith, a guy that took sd to the playoffs every year and then after bein fired sd started to suck. just like fulmer's release from tennessee, once contenders now a team u schedule for an easy win. u dont release mike smith without a clear upgrade being available.

nick saban sux as an nfl coach so no to him, idk is jon gruden would come back to the nfl he loves being an announcer, cowher..i think we went after cowher before mike smith and he declined the offer. then there is always the schottenheimer tought on smith, a guy that took sd to the playoffs every year and then after bein fired sd started to suck. just like fulmer's release from tennessee, once contenders now a team u schedule for an easy win. u dont release mike smith without a clear upgrade being available.

Wasn't nick saban 8-8 or 9-7 in his year coaching in the nfl i think he would be a good coach

I am a huge fan of Mike Smith and this staff (unless we are up by 3 scores) haha. Anyways, I had a sports guru ask me a question yesterday that I didnt know how to respond, it really made me think. His question is as follows:

"If Mike Smith fails to take you all to the next level yet again with how stacked of a team you have... at what point do you make a move? Do you stay the course and continue to come up short during this teams best window at a lombardi since the franchise started? Or do you make a coaching change based on who you could possibly get?" He then named 3 coaches who could very possibly be salivating to come here.

1. Jon Gruden.

2. Bill Cowher.

3. This is where my mind started really thinking, he said what if they went after Nick Saban to come take over our program and give us that dominant, ruthless, killer mentality? (Basically throw tons of money at him)

This question was just asked to me by an insanely avid sports fan looking in from the outside and I couldnt answer it and im still playing with the idea in my head. Have we hit a point of diminishing returns with this head coach?

Im just putting this question out there to you guys. I just want some other Falcon faithful to give some input on this.

"Don't know how to respond...Nick Saben coming to coach the Falcons"...yeah someone doesn't watch football. In addition, many teams have tried to recruit Cowher and Gruden and they both said no. They left with a ring, why would they come back?

Saban is just not cut out for the NFL.

As the HC of the Dolphins, he established a good defense but made the same mistake that Petrino did with the Falcons.

He let Joey Harrington take over as his starting QB. How he left the Dolphins can be put in the category of Petrino as well but at least he waited until after his 2nd season was over.

He loves coaching in college football and is a legend there so there is not reason for him to leave.

Man, ppl are quick to forget that it took Bill Cowher 14 or 15 years to win a Super Bowl. This is not directed towards the thread starter. This is a general statement. Ppl have to understand that sometimes it takes patience to win a ring. It doesn't happen in one or two seasons with all coaches. Let him cook!

Man, ppl are quick to forget that it took Bill Cowher 14 or 15 years to win a Super Bowl. This is not directed towards the thread starter. This is a general statement. Ppl have to understand that sometimes it takes patience to win a ring. It doesn't happen in one or two seasons with all coaches. Let him cook!

Yep, before his SB championship Cowher was sneaking up on Marty Schottenheimer territory as one of the biggest choker HCs in NFL history.

@OP

We stick with MS, he has been here 6 years and even though he has flaws, he's still a good coach.

Gruden only has a ring because of the team the previous coach had built, and it took Cowher 14 years to get a ring.

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

MS will be here until this organization has multiple years that leave us with no hope.

This is an interesting question. I can see why the question of replacing M. Smith would be raised.

I don't feel that it was M. Smith's fault that we didn't get the ten yards needed to goto the Superbowl.

I don't feel we didn't win vs the Saints because of M.Smith. We have won more games because of M. Smith than lost because of him IMO.

I wouldn't replace M. Smith. I think he needs better players on the Defense.