Kindle Fire Or Nook?

anniesmokely

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kindle fire. The nook sucks. I've had a nook and it was a waste of money. The programs didn't work properly and it was only good for the magazines I bought. I can download the nook app on my galaxy s4 and pull up all my subscription.

From what I've seen, the Kindle fire is better. Don't know if you can expand memory though

Anyone have either? Compared the two? Will probably go Kindle because Amazon is cheaper on books and music than B&N. Is KIndle expandable? I read it does not have a USB port so that worries me.

Nook has usb & a card slot. and a bigger screen ( 9" vs 7 ")

Anyone know which sounds better playing music?

You can get a refurbished iPad mini for about $70 more than the Kindle Fire. It has the same Apple warranty as a new one and the ipad is a much better device. You can download apps for both Kindle/Amazon and Nook on the iOS. I read ebooks that I buy through Amazon all the time on my full sized iPad. They even wirelessly PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL the book to your iPad for you immediately after you purchase it. If you can swing the extra scratch, seriously consider the iPad mini as a Fire alternative:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_mini

Thanks guys!It will be a couple of months before my purchase. I may check out for a refurbished Ipad also. I was leaning toward Kindle because Amazon is so easy to deal with and download from. Never dealt with B & N online except to check prices.seems high.

The Nook just caught my eye at Target so it had me wondering.The colors were stunning.Could not test the sound.

seriously I could just get a simple book reader because that will be its main purpose, but I do want color and a little more capibility beyond just that.

Thanks guys!It will be a couple of months before my purchase. I may check out for a refurbished Ipad also. I was leaning toward Kindle because Amazon is so easy to deal with and download from. Never dealt with B & N online except to check prices.seems high.

The Nook just caught my eye at Target so it had me wondering.The colors were stunning.Could not test the sound.

seriously I could just get a simple book reader because that will be its main purpose, but I do want color and a little more capibility beyond just that.

If you're talking about a few months from now then you should definitely look into refurb ipads. They're about to release the new lineup of ipads and ipad minis. The ipads are getting a completely new form factor and both will have upgraded processors and possibly cameras. I imagine that the older models will get even cheaper. Might also look on craigslist because a lot of people will be unloading their old ipad minis in order to upgrade to the new ones.

If you're talking about a few months from now then you should definitely look into refurb ipads. They're about to release the new lineup of ipads and ipad minis. The ipads are getting a completely new form factor and both will have upgraded processors and possibly cameras. I imagine that the older models will get even cheaper. Might also look on craigslist because a lot of people will be unloading their old ipad minis in order to upgrade to the new ones.

craigslist is full of scammers when it comes to I pad. You may get a real seller every blue moon lol

Guest Regular Guy

Kindle Fire HD all the way. I bought one for my wife when the HD ones first came out. It comes with a trial of Amazon Prime (which we kept after the trial because it's awesome!). You can s tream netflix, hulu, amazon prime, vudu, all that. You can also download the Plex app and use it to s tream your own personal movies. The books you buy on Amazon (even on your computer) will show up automatically on your Kindle. You can pull them from the cloud or store them locally on your Kindle. It has VERY good speakers, the best of any tablet. The screen is crystal clear and is responsive. It has very good battery life. I have used it with my phone as a mobile hotspot and used it to watch movies in a waiting room before. The wireless is very good on it. You can also get a blue tooth enabled one. It has a mini HDMI out to hook to a TV if you like and it DOES have a usb slot. You can also "borrow" books from Amazon from the cloud. I have found many books free online and have put them on the kindle for my wife. I think it's one of the best things I've bought, gadget wise, ever!

Kindle Fire HD all the way. I bought one for my wife when the HD ones first came out. It comes with a trial of Amazon Prime (which we kept after the trial because it's awesome!). You can s tream netflix, hulu, amazon prime, vudu, all that. You can also download the Plex app and use it to s tream your own personal movies. The books you buy on Amazon (even on your computer) will show up automatically on your Kindle. You can pull them from the cloud or store them locally on your Kindle. It has VERY good speakers, the best of any tablet. The screen is crystal clear and is responsive. It has very good battery life. I have used it with my phone as a mobile hotspot and used it to watch movies in a waiting room before. The wireless is very good on it. You can also get a blue tooth enabled one. It has a mini HDMI out to hook to a TV if you like and it DOES have a usb slot. You can also "borrow" books from Amazon from the cloud. I have found many books free online and have put them on the kindle for my wife. I think it's one of the best things I've bought, gadget wise, ever!

Great info, but what kinda girl do you think I is?tongue.png

Other than the speakers and the storage expansion, the ipad mini does all of that through the Amazon app and it's a better device in terms of processor and functionality. You can get a $15 cable to hook it up to your TV, as well.

Other than the speakers and the storage expansion, the ipad mini does all of that through the Amazon app and it's a better device in terms of processor and functionality. You can get a $15 cable to hook it up to your TV, as well.

I beleive it also has airplay so if you have an apple tv you can just PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL to your tv.

Guest Regular Guy

I like my books to look like books... I enjoy the Kindle Paperwhite. I hate reading books on tablet devices... too bright....

You can adjust the brightness. It has day/night mode. Mt wife pretty much just uses the black screen with white text day and night.

In terms of device quality, I would rank the ipad mini first followed by the Fire and then the Nook. As others have mentioned, B&N is ditching the Nook soon, so I wouldn't even consider it. That brings the competition down to the Kindle or the iPad. The Kindle is primarily a book reader that does some other things, but it doesn't do those other things especially well. The iPad is a full on tablet which also does ebooks, and does ebooks as well as the others. For me, it would come down to price. If the extra $70-80 is a burden, then go with the Kindle recognizing that it's a fine device that will do most of the things you like. If you can swing the extra money, I think you'd be happier with the iPad. My advice would be to go to one of the stores and play with both of them.

Btw, do you have an iPhone? If so, then seriously consider the iPad because it syncs with and interacts with the iphone in really cool ways. I'm not sure if Android tablets have the same type of connectivity, but you might look into that if you've got an Android phone.

Guest Regular Guy

In terms of device quality, I would rank the ipad mini first followed by the Fire and then the Nook. As others have mentioned, B&N is ditching the Nook soon, so I wouldn't even consider it. That brings the competition down to the Kindle or the iPad. The Kindle is primarily a book reader that does some other things, but it doesn't do those other things especially well. The iPad is a full on tablet which also does ebooks, and does ebooks as well as the others. For me, it would come down to price. If the extra $70-80 is a burden, then go with the Kindle recognizing that it's a fine device that will do most of the things you like. If you can swing the extra money, I think you'd be happier with the iPad. My advice would be to go to one of the stores and play with both of them.

Btw, do you have an iPhone? If so, then seriously consider the iPad because it syncs with and interacts with the iphone in really cool ways. I'm not sure if Android tablets have the same type of connectivity, but you might look into that if you've got an Android phone.

The Kindle Fire HD is NOT primarily a book reader. It's an Android 4.xx device that just happens to be linked to your Amazon account to make shopping/buying books/reading books seamless. It does very well for s treaming and running all Android apps. Not trying to be a jerk just want to correct you since I own one and can tell you what it does and doesn't do. There are apps for airplay too if you're in to that, it's not an Apple only thing.

Bottom line, buy what you like whether it be a Galaxy Tablet, iPad or iPad mini, or Fire HD. You really can't go wrong as they are all nice. For Christmas I am going to buy a Windows 8 tablet as those look cool too. My wife doesn't let me or anyone else spend too much time with her Kindle :)

"but it doesn't do those other things especially well."

can you elaborate on this? netflix, movies, music, etc.... what does the kindle fire hd not do well?

also fyi, ipad mini is 280 refurbished, kindle fire hd (7in) is 159.99 at bestbuy.

What I meant is that the ipad is faster and the OS is better, meaning that apps perform better on the ipad than the Fire. I didn't realize that the price on the Fire had been reduced that much. A $120 difference in price is pretty big, so the Fire might be the better choice after all. I'm not knocking the Fire at all. It's a fine device and for me I don't think that the ipad is significantly better for the extra $120.