Arian Foster Admits Receiving Money While At Tennessee

Kevo

He actually says "I don't know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation"

I can answer that for you Arian...yes...yes it will.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/23750851/arian-foster-i-was-getting-money-on-the-side-at-tennessee

Former Tennessee running back Arian Foster said he "took money on the side" during his senior year while playing for the Volunteers.

The current Houston Texans star discussed his disdain for the NCAA's amateurism rules during a four-hour interview for an upcoming documentary called Schooled: The Price of College Sports.

Sports Illustrated obtained a video preview of the documentary,as well as a portion of Foster's interview. In the excerpt released Friday, Foster admits he took money during his senior year and explains how he, along with many other athletes, rationalize that decision.

"I don't know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation -- my senior year, I was getting money on the side," Foster said in the interview. "I really didn't have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, 'Man, be careful.' But there's nothing wrong with it. And you're not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it."

College football players start getting paid...that would mean that every college athlete gets paid.

But,where would that money come from?

Surely the universities wouldn't take that money out of their already existing budgets...it would have to come from you and I.

Did someone from Tennessee piss Arian off or something?

I find it hard to believe that he would all of a sudden open his mouth about taking money almost five years after the fact unless he has some kind of intentions in mind.

It was for this documentary

In the EPIX documentry, "Schooled: The Price of College Sports," Foster explains his reasons for taking payments while playing college football.

"I don't know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation - my senior year, I was getting paid money on the side," Foster said in a video posted on SI.com. "I really didn't have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like , 'Man, be careful.' But there's nothing wrong with it. And you're not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it."

The outspoken Foster, one never afraid to speak his true feelings, believes that the money the schools make off the players is enough justification for payments to be issued to the students.

"Our stadium had like 107,000 seats," Foster said. "107,000 people buying a ticket to come watch us play. It's tough just like knowing that, being aware of that. We had just won and I had a good game, 100 yards or whatever. You go outside and there's hundreds of kids waiting for you. You're signing autographs, taking pictures, whatever.

"Then I walk back, and reality sets in. I go to my dorm room, open my fridge and there's nothing in my fridge."

Foster said he warned his coaches about his lack of resources.

"There was a point where we had no food, no money," Foster said. "So I called my coach and I said, 'Coach, we don't have no food. We don't have no money. We're hungry. Either you give us some food, or I'm gonna go do something stupid.'"

"He came down and he brought like 50 tacos for like four or five of us, which is an NCAA violation. But then, the next day, I walk up to the facility and see my coach pull up in a brand new Lexus. Beautiful."

Okay, Thanks SK

I agree with Foster that college football players should get a piece of the profit. I know that most of them are getting scholarships to go to school and all but the NCAA makes millions and billions overall when it comes to marketing their college players so they should at least take care of them a little bit financially. Maybe give them 1-3 thousand dollars a month would be fair in my opinion.

Okay, Thanks SK

I agree with Foster that college football players should get a piece of the profit. I know that most of them are getting scholarships to go to school and all but the NCAA makes millions and billions overall when it comes to marketing their college players so they should at least take care of them a little bit financially. Maybe give them 1-3 thousand dollars a month would be fair in my opinion.

Okay, Thanks SK

Where would that money come from?

I can guarantee you that the money won't come from the universities current budgets!

That money would have to come out of the consumer's pockets.

Money for food at least. Not like they have time for jobs in major college sports.

That's where the NCAA is screwing itself.

The student-athlete can't even accept meals from alumni.

They would rather have their student-athletes have no food at all,rather than have them accept it from the alumni.

Pure stupidity!

Where would that money come from?

I can guarantee you that the money won't come from the universities current budgets!

That money would have to come out of the consumer's pockets.

They will more than likely have to take a certain percentage out of their merchandise sales like jerseys, memorabilia, etc.. Maybe set up a royalties system where players can get a percentage of the money out of the merchandise sold with their names and likeness rights.

Or they can just take the easy way out and lift that ban on players not being able to accept assets so they can at least reach out to their family and friends.

Alabama had to vacate wins for receiving extra text books...TEXT BOOKS THAT WOULD HELP IN THE NON-SCHOLARSHIP ATHLETE'S EDUCATION!!!

The NCAA claims to look out for the "student-athlete",but penalizes them for receiving extra text books,food...etc.

They will more than likely have to take a certain percentage out of their merchandise sales like jerseys, memorabilia, etc.. Maybe set up a royalties system where players can get a percentage of the money out of the merchandise sold with their names and likeness rights.

Which would would mean that merchandise and gameday costs for the consumer would likely increase.

Alabama had to vacate wins for receiving extra text books...TEXT BOOKS THAT WOULD HELP IN THE NON-SCHOLARSHIP ATHLETE'S EDUCATION!!!

The NCAA claims to look out for the "student-athlete",but penalizes them for receiving extra text books,food...etc.

Yep, it is all about the money when it comes to the NCAA.

Did you ever notice that on the official NCAA video games that don't use the actual players' names? They either just use their jersey number or a fake made up name in replace of it but yet still us their likenesses in the game. That is so the NCAA doesn't have to have their college players sign a licencing agreement and would have to pay them a percentage out of the profits of the game being sold.

The NCAA is a pretty foul organization.

I know what it is like to be in college and not have money but I have to ask............. did he not have access to room and board in the form of dorms??

And don't most colleges have cafeterias where you can go and eat if not free nearly free?

I get the fact the football players and every other athlete make tons of money for the schools and they do not seem to recoup any themselves. But when you have access to free housing ( dorms) and free or nearly free food ( cafeteria) then you are should be content with that for a couple years.

btw I am not defending the NCAA .......they are azz clowns but these college kids who have literally everything handed to them when they get a scholarship complaining about not getting paid is stupid and is an example of how ungrateful out society is.

I get your point. State schools aren't exactly cheap anymore.

I get your point. State schools aren't exactly cheap anymore.

Nope..and what about the other 95% or more of students who do actually have to work to support themselves?

Who do actually have to pay for rent and for food?\

Scholarship athletes are given a free ride saving them thousands and thousands of dollars.

Yet they want to complain about their coach driving a lexus

Really?