Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cnasty

Ways To Counteract The Offensively Driven Nfl

12 posts in this topic

With the way things have evolved in the NFL, offenses get the "benefit of the doubt" in many situations. With things like the "QB strike zone", the whole "defenseless receiver" thing, etc etc, it makes it tougher on the defenses to be dominant like they once were.

I thought it'd be interesting to see what things you could come up with, on an administrative level, to counteract this offensive shift.

Examples:

1) Pass interference calls are no longer spot fouls but instead we revert back to the 15 yard rule.

2) Defensive backs can battle (contact) with the receivers for 10 yards, instead of 5.

3) Illegal contact will no longer warrant an automatic first down.

4) Intentional grounding will always be a 10 yard loss from the spot of the foul in addition to the loss of down.

These are things that still preserve 'player safety' yet give the defenses a little something back.

Thoughts?

blkbigdog35 likes this

Dammit. Edited for spelling.

I had to bust your chops on that one. I couldn't help it.

With the way things have evolved in the NFL, offenses get the "benefit of the doubt" in many situations. With things like the "QB strike zone", the whole "defenseless receiver" thing, etc etc, it makes it tougher on the defenses to be dominant like they once were.

I thought it'd be interesting to see what things you could come up with, on an administrative level, to counteract this offensive shift.

Examples:

1) Pass interference calls are no longer spot fouls but instead we revert back to the 15 yard rule.

2) Defensive backs can battle (contact) with the receivers for 10 yards, instead of 5.

4) Intentional grounding will always be a 10 yard loss from the spot of the foul in addition to the loss of down.

These are things that still preserve 'player safety' yet give the defenses a little something back.

Thoughts?

I like most of your ideas; however, it is clear that the NFL wants the league to be offensive driven. It has decided that no one likes to see a good defensive game. They want points and lots of scoring. That's "what sells", apparently. They also need to relax Pass Interference. They are calling it on some very ticky-tack contact these days. Just because they touched the other play, doesn't mean they interfered with their ability to catch the pass.

NCFalconfan likes this

Cnasty:

There are times that you really launch a stellar topic and this is no doubt

one of your very best.

Unfortunately very few people on TATF will delve into this discussion due

largely in part to my following comment.

How to grow revenue in the NFL.

If you are a fan of Soccer, then Old School football would be right up your ally.

Ever watch an NFL game where the final score was 7-3 or even 6-3?

These could be long and boring games, so the only way to make the games more exciting

was to skew the advantage to the offense in order to put a lot of points on the Score Board.

Ever see a close game that ended 41-38? That is non stop action that everybody enjoys.

So at this point we find games that end with 50 points total scored to be right in the sweet spot.

Like you said, something has to be given back to the defense to temper the game.

I do like Goodell's initiative to reduce injuries, but trying to eliminate the opening kick off

was like removing Apple Pie from Mom. I explained that to Goodell in a rather nasty manner

and he thankfully backed the F'k off.

But back to your original topic, and I hope to see some comments from the Great Football minds on this forum.

blkbigdog35 likes this

You could easily spin the 10 yard cushion into player safety. I'd guess that WRs battling for 10 yards rather than 5 would reduce the amount of fullspeed hits a WR is likely to take.

I'm fine with PI being a spot foul....its the better of two less-than-ideal options.

I'd say that every "defenseless receiver" personal foul should be subject to mandatory review by a ref panel in the booth. That play is too bang-bang to consistently call on the field.

blkbigdog35 likes this

Ehh it is much easier to sell an offensive NFL.

A none fan or average fan is intrigued by Peytons amazing numbers, but they certainly wouldnt be very interested in a teams ability to hold a team to 10 points or less every game.

Cnasty very good thread. Personally I miss the days of dominant defenses. Defenses today seem to be at great disadvantage because of these rules you stated. Defenders are having to think about not making a mistake rather than trying to react and prevent plays. I understand player safety however it seems like players are still suffering injuries at an alarming rate.

Cnasty very good thread. Personally I miss the days of dominant defenses. Defenses today seem to be at great disadvantage because of these rules you stated. Defenders are having to think about not making a mistake rather than trying to react and prevent plays. I understand player safety however it seems like players are still suffering injuries at an alarming rate.

Im starting to think player safety is a load of crock. The NFL just wants to save face.

Injuries arent going down. Concussions are still around but now you have skyrocketed lower body injuries.

So now you have the debate what's worse, a concussion, or your legs?

Cnasty:

There are times that you really launch a stellar topic and this is no doubt

one of your very best.

Unfortunately very few people on TATF will delve into this discussion due

largely in part to my following comment.

How to grow revenue in the NFL.

If you are a fan of Soccer, then Old School football would be right up your ally.

Ever watch an NFL game where the final score was 7-3 or even 6-3?

These could be long and boring games, so the only way to make the games more exciting

was to skew the advantage to the offense in order to put a lot of points on the Score Board.

Ever see a close game that ended 41-38? That is non stop action that everybody enjoys.

So at this point we find games that end with 50 points total scored to be right in the sweet spot.

Like you said, something has to be given back to the defense to temper the game.

I do like Goodell's initiative to reduce injuries, but trying to eliminate the opening kick off

was like removing Apple Pie from Mom. I explained that to Goodell in a rather nasty manner

and he thankfully backed the F'k off.

But back to your original topic, and I hope to see some comments from the Great Football minds on this forum.

Preciate the compliment.

I was/am just trying to think of ways to give a little back to the defenses without having to sacrifice "player safety" which we all know is mostly bull shlt.

Either way, neutering the defenses to the point where they're always on their heels isn't good for the quality of the product.

I get that a high scoring game is marketable to a potentially new customer/viewer, but at the end of the day you're going to plateau with that strategy and be left with a very watered down product that focused strictly on a team's QB.

We know from the Steelers of the 70s and late 2000s, the Bears and Giants in the 80s, the Bucs in the early 2000s, etc etc etc that a dominating defense CAN be fun to watch. It used to be for the big, nasty hits on QBs and WRs; and that will exist on an exponentially smaller scale, but now it can/could/would be fun to watch a guy like Revis or Trufant battle on a 10 yard island with a receiver without having to worry about some BS illegal contact or defensive holding penalty.

This will also forceoffenses to focus on a good balace of pass/run scheme which most of us are more accustomed and likely prefer.

I know this probably falls on deaf ears, but I think starting the conversation somewhere, with someone could at least be some sort of start.

Tuggle'2 likes this

Examples:

Thoughts?

1) This needs to happen a 15 yard penalty is more than enough on a pass interference call.

2) Yea i agree with this one also

3) Agree

4) The Defensive player that caused it should also be credited with a sack, added bonus

Another thing that offenses are just flat out getting away with murder on are pick's set to get WR's wide open. Watch Denver some time if you wonder how Welker is WIDE FRICKEN OPEN nearly every down. It's usually because two other guys are rubbing any coverage off him to get him that open.

When was the last time you saw a flag for a pick play against the offense?..........Exactly.