Is Thomas Dimitroff's Ego Getting In The Way?

Five winning seasons and executive of the year accolades may be making Thomas Dimitroff's ego become outsized. Granted, he has done what no other GM has done in team history however he is showing a nagging stubbornness to select who he wants and make personnel decisions which seem to have a "this is my way, and I am in charge" tone. For instance, the insistence on "cheaping" in the key area of the trenches. Games are won or lost on the line of scrimmage yet he is stubbornly building against the proven grain of inside out rather than outside in. No run stuffing tackles, pass rushing ends, pancake blocking tackles or road grading guards but cornerbacks and safeties. Why is the same virtual defense, which was ranked 24th last year (and 25th in 13) still intact, other than Trufant and Alford at the corners? What will happen when this unit eventually fails at stopping the run, a fact which has caused the eventual demise of the previous 3 campaigns? Why does Dimitroff insist on forcing the Peria Jerrys, Jonathan Massoquois, and the Cliff Mathews on our sensibilities as if to say that they will succeed, evidence be ignored? I assert that Dmitroff is coasting on four good decisions: Hiring Mike Smith, drafting Matt Ryan, signing Tony Gonzalez and boldly trading up for Julio Jones. The remainder of his personel decisions have been dubious. Again, what is this reluctance to acquire defensive stoppers, particularly at the defensive tackle position? His arrogance in doing it "his way" has lead to a lack of a pass rush in all of his 5 seasons as GM as well as an overall inability to stop prolific rushing attacks (in the 4 losses in 12, all 4 teams ran for nearly 150 yards and other than a last second miracle against Seattle, not stopping the run would have again led to an early exit from the playoffs) It is time to address these needs and admit that, as far as the line of scrimmage goes, his way is failing noticeably.

You can only spend the money once. He spends it on skill positions. Given the guys we run out there, it is hard to argue the point. His OL picks are just now starting to play. i'll wait more than once week to pass judgement.

I LOVE the skill group he has put together. We will have a chance every season with that kind of artillery. That is how you win championships, put yourself in the tournament every year. Ask the Giants and Packers...limping in is just fine.

The only two mistakes that occurred in the Aints game is Mike Smith and Dirk Koetter not RUNNING the ball 2 and goal @ the 4 and 3rd and goal @ the whatever. Why on earth would you put the game in the o-lines ability to protect Matt Ryan. SJax would have busted into the end zone. Amazing how I can see it on the couch and the pros have no clue. Why get Sjax if you are not going to use him at the goal line? There was plenty of time. Also why the **** are you calling timeouts like you want to give the Saints time to bring it back down. Horrible play calling and horrible clock management lost us the game. So Smitty when you are correcting your mistakes make sure you look at yourself first and foremost. Also please grow a sac and stop being the most predicatable coach in the NFL.

The Falcons have weaknesses. If you could conquer this sport by building a team with no weaknesses it wouldn't be a sport worth watching. It would be like finding that one play on Madden that can't be stopped thus destroying competitive interest in the game. I guess my point is that teams have to play so as to cover for weaknesses because they all have them. Look at the Packers and Giants winning super bowls with a couple of real bad defenses. I hate to use them as an example here after one game but do you think the Eagles went from the worst offensive line in history last year to look like the best this year so far? No, they found a way to play that negates the defensive line. You can't rush if you can't breathe! You need coaches that can make these adjustments and in my opinion, the Falcons coaches are some of the best in the league. Just wait until the house is built to judge the carpenter, don't complain about every missed hammer strike. JMHO.

The Falcons have weaknesses. If you could conquer this sport by building a team with no weaknesses it wouldn't be a sport worth watching. It would be like finding that one play on Madden that can't be stopped thus destroying competitive interest in the game. I guess my point is that teams have to play so as to cover for weaknesses because they all have them. Look at the Packers and Giants winning super bowls with a couple of real bad defenses. I hate to use them as an example here after one game but do you think the Eagles went from the worst offensive line in history last year to look like the best this year so far? No, they found a way to play that negates the defensive line. You can't rush if you can't breathe! You need coaches that can make these adjustments and in my opinion, the Falcons coaches are some of the best in the league. Just wait until the house is built to judge the carpenter, don't complain about every missed hammer strike. JMHO.

Loving your work in the last 24 hours.

The only two mistakes that occurred in the Aints game is Mike Smith and Dirk Koetter not RUNNING the ball 2 and goal @ the 4 and 3rd and goal @ the whatever. Why on earth would you put the game in the o-lines ability to protect Matt Ryan. SJax would have busted into the end zone. Amazing how I can see it on the couch and the pros have no clue. Why get Sjax if you are not going to use him at the goal line? There was plenty of time. Also why the **** are you calling timeouts like you want to give the Saints time to bring it back down. Horrible play calling and horrible clock management lost us the game. So Smitty when you are correcting your mistakes make sure you look at yourself first and foremost. Also please grow a sac and stop being the most predicatable coach in the NFL.

On a previous goal-to-go situation we tried running with SJax and Quizz and got nothing. Yeah, I know you said SJax. But surprisingly it doesn't seem to be as easy as saying "give SJax the ball, score TD." Of course if SJax or TG had caught the ball, no one would question it and say we should've been rushing.

I'm cool with the move up for Julio. However I do agree with the lack of drafting for the trenches.

The issue at hand is this. Regardless of whether we feel Holmes is the guy or not, he's gotta play in order for us to find out. It was his first real game. It sucks that it had to happen again a hated division rival but regardless it needs to happen. I really hope Pat Hill and Smitty tore the team a new one and they will be on their A-game at home with the fans rallying. That's all we can do at this point.

I stand behind TD. He's made good moves (Smitty, Ryan, Turner, Tony, JJ, keeping Roddy happy) and he's made bad ones (Peria Jerry, Edwards). At the end of the day he's made more good moves than bad moves. No GM bats 1000% and there aren't many GM's I'd choose over TD at this point.