Is Thomas Dimitroff's Ego Getting In The Way?

Five winning seasons and executive of the year accolades may be making Thomas Dimitroff's ego become outsized. Granted, he has done what no other GM has done in team history however he is showing a nagging stubbornness to select who he wants and make personnel decisions which seem to have a "this is my way, and I am in charge" tone. For instance, the insistence on "cheaping" in the key area of the trenches. Games are won or lost on the line of scrimmage yet he is stubbornly building against the proven grain of inside out rather than outside in. No run stuffing tackles, pass rushing ends, pancake blocking tackles or road grading guards but cornerbacks and safeties. Why is the same virtual defense, which was ranked 24th last year (and 25th in 13) still intact, other than Trufant and Alford at the corners? What will happen when this unit eventually fails at stopping the run, a fact which has caused the eventual demise of the previous 3 campaigns? Why does Dimitroff insist on forcing the Peria Jerrys, Jonathan Massoquois, and the Cliff Mathews on our sensibilities as if to say that they will succeed, evidence be ignored? I assert that Dmitroff is coasting on four good decisions: Hiring Mike Smith, drafting Matt Ryan, signing Tony Gonzalez and boldly trading up for Julio Jones. The remainder of his personel decisions have been dubious. Again, what is this reluctance to acquire defensive stoppers, particularly at the defensive tackle position? His arrogance in doing it "his way" has lead to a lack of a pass rush in all of his 5 seasons as GM as well as an overall inability to stop prolific rushing attacks (in the 4 losses in 12, all 4 teams ran for nearly 150 yards and other than a last second miracle against Seattle, not stopping the run would have again led to an early exit from the playoffs) It is time to address these needs and admit that, as far as the line of scrimmage goes, his way is failing noticeably.

Edited by kennycaine

Five winning seasons and executive of the year accolades may be making Thomas Dimitroff's ego become outsized. Granted, he has done what no other GM has done in team history however he is showing a nagging stubbornness to select who he wants and make personnel decisions which seem to be "this is my way, and I am in charge" tone. For instance, the insistence on "cheaping" in the key area of the trenches. Games are won or lost on the line of scrimmage yet he is stubbornly building against the proven grain of inside out rather than outside in. No run stuffing tackles, pass rushing ends, pancake blocking tackles or road grading guards but cornerbacks and safeties. Why is the same virtual defense, which was ranked 24th last year (and 25th in 13) still intact, other than Trufant and Alford at the corners? What will happen when this unit eventually fails at stopping the run, a fact which has caused the eventual demise of the previous 3 campaigns? Why does Dimitroff insist on forcing the Peria Jerrys, Jonathan Massoquois, and the Cliff Mathews on our sensibilities as if to say that they will succeed, evidence be ignored? I assert that Dmitroff is coasting on four good decisions: Hiring Mike Smith, drafting Matt Ryan, signing Tony Gonzalez and boldly trading up for Julio Jones. The remainder of his personel decisions have been dubious. Again, what is this reluctance to acquire defensive stoppers, particularly at the defensive tackle position? His arrogance in doing it "his way" has lead to a lack of a pass rush in all of his 5 seasons as GM as well as an overall inability to stop prolific rushing attacks (in the 4 losses in 12, all 4 teams ran for nearly 150 yards) It is time to address these needs and admit that, as far as the line of scrimmage goes, his way is failing noticeably.

I really like JJ, but based on your point which I mostly agree with...why is that bold/ballsy move not questionable?

Three good decisions. Did Otis Nixon count for you???? I just got three words to say "it don't get no betta den dis!"

Seriously though, td has made more good moves than those you listed. Playing armchair GM is a breeze when you can cherry pick your draft years later from your couch. Harry Douglas, bierman, trufant and Alford look good, William Moore, decoud is playing for a good price....there's a lot he's done well.

Unfortunately his mid round line picks have yet to pan out. That's true but he's not coasting on past glory in my opinion.

I agree with your concern, but more in relation to interior OL and pass rush. Our run stopping has usually not been a DL issue, but a few long runs issue, which is LB/S.

Regardless, I've been clamoring for a pocket pushing DT and a strong LG C RG combo for a long while. They make the rest of the team look better.

Because those grow on trees!

I really like JJ, but based on your point which I mostly agree with...why is that bold/ballsy move not questionable?

That was a great move for a eventual great player. Given Dimitroff's lack of late round successes it wasn't bad to give up most of the draft for Jones. Edited by kennycaine

Well I don't think any of us has enough knowledge of TD and the inner working of the entire organization to say his ego is in the way, nor consider ego at all. What I think most of us can agree with is our utter frustration with the lack of improvement on both lines since he arrived here. He inherited a pedestrian team in disarray, and he deserves full credit for our success over that period. But IMHO ALL, I repeat with emphasis, ALL our playoff woes are due to average/below average lines. You can only scheme, and depend on your skill makers (most notably Ryan) so much before the glaring weaknesses in the trenches doom you.

All this talk about the Superbowl is only that - talk. Right now we don't have the trenches to win a Lombardi, and have done extremely well to win as many as we have.

Funny that you post this after the way the defense played against the Saints and no mention of the OL when that was the was the reason the Falcons lost to the Saints?

Listen, for three years I have stated flatly that until the Falcons stop the run, there will be no Super Bowl. People attacked that notion last year and prior years until it was proven correct. One good game does not mean that Jerry and Peters have now figured it out. For the record I will state this again: If the Falcons don't stop the run, the chances of a Super Bowl are not positive.

Three good decisions. Did Otis Nixon count for you???? I just got three words to say "it don't get no betta den dis!"

Seriously though, td has made more good moves than those you listed. Playing armchair GM is a breeze when you can cherry pick your draft years later from your couch. Harry Douglas, bierman, trufant and Alford look good, William Moore, decoud is playing for a good price....there's a lot he's done well.

Unfortunately his mid round line picks have yet to pan out. That's true but he's not coasting on past glory in my opinion.

Didn't say good moves, my friend, I said KEY moves that have led to the sustainability of the recent winning. I could name Douglas or Weatherspoon or even Sam Baker as "good" moves but the key to success moves are Smith and Ryan first and foremost, who are the Falcons equivalent to Brady and Belichick and Tony G and Julio/Roddy being second.

I can't complain about the Julio trade. Not too often that a team has a chance to land a true stud and Julio is one. The downside of the trade is that it adds pressure to hit on your remaining draft picks and we haven't.

+1

That was a great move for a eventual great player. Given Dimitroff's lack of late round successes it wasn't bad to give up most of the draft for Jones.

+1 I respect your opinon...agree to disagree.

This is really my only complaint about TD... TRENCHES Or lack thereof.

If we were playing 7 on 7 football TD would be the best GM ever. But there's this thing called an offensive line and a defensive line that messes his legacy up a bit.

Man this is the same old same old.

I heard this exact same speech before the Giants game last year Seahawks and Niners game last year also.

I will agree to a point could he have done better yes he could.But unlike yourself I believe this group will get better but as usual we want instant gratification and want instant results man only if the league worked like that we'd be Champs every year.

AJ Smith was also one who did it his way no matter what. His stubborness and ego also let LT, Sproles, Vincent Jackson, etc... all walk out of SD.

I don't think TD is that bad, but you are reaping the ill effects of the JJ trade at this time. It could be worse, imagine if JJ sucked.

Well I don't think any of us has enough knowledge of TD and the inner working of the entire organization to say his ego is in the way, nor consider ego at all. What I think most of us can agree with is our utter frustration with the lack of improvement on both lines since he arrived here. He inherited a pedestrian team in disarray, and he deserves full credit for our success over that period. But IMHO ALL, I repeat with emphasis, ALL our playoff woes are due to average/below average lines. You can only scheme, and depend on your skill makers (most notably Ryan) so much before the glaring weaknesses in the trenches doom you.

All this talk about the Superbowl is only that - talk. Right now we don't have the trenches to win a Lombardi, and have done extremely well to win as many as we have.

The galling thing is that, as much as the need for DE is glaring, Osi was the biggest move that he deemed necessary on a team which generated only 26 sacks...10 of which came from Abraham. Even if Osi replaced the 10, who was going to create the additional pressure? Biermann had only 4 sacks yet he was retained at DE rather than moved to his logical position of strongside linebacker. Bjorn Werner was available whjen Trufant was chosen, a need at DE with 13.5 sacks and a possible top-10 pick, yet he was ignored. Cornerbacks are great when there is a pass rush and exposed without one; its generally not the other way around. I give Dimitroff credit for pointing the franchise in the right direction but his stubbornness in moving/dealing/trading for line help and not cutting bait (Jerry/Nicholas/Mathews?) is disturbing.

Edited by kennycaine

Man this is the same old same old.

I heard this exact same speech before the Giants game last year Seahawks and Niners game last year also.

I will agree to a point could he have done better yes he could.But unlike yourself I believe this group will get better but as usual we want instant gratification and want instant results man only if the league worked like that we'd be Champs every year.

You speak of "instant gratification" yet this process has gone on for nearly 6 years. What is a respectable time frame for building a pass rush? A run defense? An offensive line? The counter intuitive argument to your "it takes time" mantra is the team which almost defeated us, the Seattle Seahawks. They have a great defense and a great line/running game put together in less than 3 years. The "it takes time" argument becomes an excuse after the fourth or fifth year of hearing it.

Actually you said "I assert that dimitroff is coasting on three good decisions."

That is changed to four but you are uselessly wasting time splitting hairs. The fact is that there are problems that he seems to gloss over because he is doing it on his terms. If the post said four or 12 decisions, that is the point.

Sorry, but you can't disassociate the lack of investment in the trenches from the Julio Jones trade.

You simply can't make a trade like that and retain enough high value picks to expect to properly address all your other needs. That's why other teams simply do not make those trades. It left us with too many holes, and not enough cap space and drafts picks to address them all.

We haven't cut Jerry/Nicholas because we haven't had the resources to bring in anybody better. With very limited reources available, we could only have improved those positions at the expense of others that would have had to go unaddressed.

You don't think that was a game changing move worthy of a future 1 and an at the time 1 and 2?

Not sure it would get us over the hump...SB. We will have to pay JJ.

In fairness to TD I think he inherited some decent players on both lines...he had a luxury. If he didn't and had a couple of bad season to start

he might have got a lot of early picks like SF...but you stil would have to make them count.

You speak of "instant gratification" yet this process has gone on for nearly 6 years. What is a respectable time frame for building a pass rush? A run defense? An offensive line? The counter intuitive argument to your "it takes time" mantra is the team which almost defeated us, the Seattle Seahawks. They have a great defense and a great line/running game put together in less than 3 years. The "it takes time" argument becomes an excuse after the fourth or fifth year of hearing it.

Did you read all of it though I also stated TD could have done better in certain aspects.

Pass Rush I got nothing there.

Run D hasn't always been bad and signs are we are off to a positive start.

The o-line has been a problem I won't argue that point but the right side is new we are transitioning personel a good part of the time so I'm sorry for me I still believe this line can do the job.

I personally think in the last 5 years we have been spoilt as we are now expecting success where as in the previous 40 we were here there and every where and hence we are to quick to go for the magnifying glass and point out such supposed failiure's.

Remember this is the NFL right probably one of the most competitive leagues on the planet believe it or not I think 90% of other leagues fans would kill to be in the position the Falcons are in.