So It Isn't Just Me Then...

The part everyone gets upset with is that we always find a way to lose seven when we put yourself in good situations. This isn't the first second third fourth fifth sixth seventh eight ninth tength or elleventth time we have seen this.

The times we have positioned our selves to have easy victories end up in either a close tut wrenching loss or over exaggerated comeback.

Philosophically this imo falls on the coaching more so than the players.. but at the same time given that these losses repeatedly coke from the inability to score the blame well haw to be given to the 100 million dollar Qb. Just my opinion

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really starting to question the strength and conditioning. Our Line looked wiped in the second quarter. With McClure gone, Blalock is the only leftover from the Gibbs style Zone blocking days. so our Line isn't small, and shouldn't be so easy to push around. Do you guys think this might be a factor?

I was questioning the Falcons strength and conditioning in another thread yesterday. I think that they fired their strength and conditioning coach during the offsesason and hired a new one. I get that Holmes has never played in a full-time NFL game but his conditioning was ridiculously terrible against the Saints.

The whole o-line was also out-muscled by the Saints d-line.

I was questioning the Falcons strength and conditioning in another thread yesterday. I think that they fired their strength and conditioning coach during the offsesason and hired a new one. I get that Holmes has never played in a full-time NFL game but his conditioning was ridiculously terrible against the Saints.

The whole o-line was also out-muscled by the Saints d-line.

Yeah, These aren't small guys. It's like they've been neutered. No fire, and they're gassed by the half.

You think Sam Baker getting walked backwards into the quarterback is coaching? You think not converting 3rd and forever's (which most teams don't do) is coaching? You think Decoud keeping his eyes in the backfield and not getting out to the flat to get Graham AND then missing the tackle is coaching?

A coach can only work with that he has. This isn't Madden and these aren't drones out there playing. Mistakes happen and the other team gets paid to make plays too.

Beat me to it.

We have the worst offensive line in the nfl....

Ben Roethlisberger & Cam Newton would like a word with you. So would Gabbert, but he's still unconscious from the beating he took.

Big Ben is screwed- his best Olineman is gone for the season. There isn't a whole lot of talent in CAR either.

It's reasonable to think that the Falcon's Oline gets better as the season goes on- they get used to playing with one another, Konz gets the calls down, Holmes learns to keep it together for a game. Think it's more mental than physical.

[wouldn't hurt if the backs and TEs did their jobs as well- one of those sacks was Gonzo getting beat and I'm thinking the reason that Rodgers was in on the goalline late 4th quarter is they trusted his blitz pick up more than SJax's]

It's so true. Comatose is an appropriate word. My son and I call it the "3rd Quarter Coma". It was frightening how many of our games last year (and now this year) followed this EXACT script. The only variation is the ending:

1) Falcons jump out to somewhere between 7-17 point lead. Offense looks unstoppable.

2) Offense begins to stall. Opponent regains footing.

3) Opponent takes momentum and the lead as defense tires from being on the field so much.

4a) Matt Ryan engineers ONE final comeback drive to bring the Falcons to victory

OR

4b) Comeback drive ALMOST gets it done and Falcons fall in loss.

The Seattle game was version 4a. The San Fran game and the Saints last week was 4b.

There were AT LEAST a half a dozen other games last season that followed a version of this same script.

WTF is going on?

I'm really starting to question the strength and conditioning. Our Line looked wiped in the second quarter. With McClure gone, Blalock is the only leftover from the Gibbs style Zone blocking days. so our Line isn't small, and shouldn't be so easy to push around. Do you guys think this might be a factor?

ABSOLUTELY THIS ^^^

Did you see Spoon making that half-a$$ed attempt to run down Sproles on that big play? Our defense was wiped out in the 2nd half. Same with our OLine.

WE FADE LATE IN THE GAME BECAUSE WE ARE:

a) SMALL on the DL and get worn down. This impacts the LBs too because the opposing OL get to the 2nd level.

cool.png Not in good physical condition

Holmes is so ridiculously out of shape that it's completely embarrassing to call him a "professional" athlete. His conditioning is about equivalent to a professional hot dog eater. He is good for about a quarter and a half. Then you might as well put a 3rd stringer in there because it will be about equivalent.

If I were Smitty I'd put the team on Herb Brooks' wind sprint regiment until they learn to close out games.

Edited by since68andcounting

This.

The whole Oline. The play calling. The TE blocking. The third down conversion rate. Dropped TDs. Red zone offense. Safety and LB coverage. You name it.

This says a lot though about our team. We played like A$$ but still were in a position to win. It's almost like we have too much talent that it can almost overcome the coaching. If we had a great offensive mind (ie Harabaugh) we would be unstoppable. Literally 16-0.

did the coaches make julio fumble? did the coaches cause tony and sjax to drop those passes? because we arent even having this discussion if those things dont happen.

Yes we are, or at least we should be. People blaming a turnover at the beginning of the 2nd quarter for the loss are being idiots. Did it hurt momentum? Sure. Is that any excuse for scoring 7 points the rest of the way? Absolutely not. As for the two drops to end the game, we never should have been in that position. The Saints were playing a bunch of backups from the worst defense in league history. There is absolutely no reason that we should need a last second TD just to score 24 points against them.

Man...it's amazing that this topic is just now being discussed in depth when this has been the norm since 2008.

Yes, with this regime we've tallied numerous wins, but my focus was always on how we won and even then I knew that wouldn't be enough to finally bring a Lombardi home...I only hoped we would do just enough to get it done.

That article described the Falcons to the very core. They're gonna have to dig deep and figure out why and fix it fast or heads will indeed roll...and unfortunately, it would be Smitty that's the first to go.

Nobody needs to be fired (except maybe Hamilton if we continue to struggle with the pass rush by mid season). Smitty has earned the benefit of the doubt. We've made incremental improvements. We dumped Mularkey and BVG, and added much needed explosion to the offense last season.

That's said, as much as I love Smitty, he and his staff are HORRIBLE coming out of the half, making adjustments, and instilling an attitude, a sense of urgency before the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter and we desperately need a killer instinct. I think Mike Smith found a script that gets him a ton of wins, and he's hesitant to adjust it out of fear of blowing the thing up.

He needs to stress less about making mistakes and work on getting past them, and wanting to destroy the opponent instead of just trying not to lose to them.

Man...it's amazing that this topic is just now being discussed in depth when this has been the norm since 2008.

Yes, with this regime we've tallied numerous wins, but my focus was always on how we won and even then I knew that wouldn't be enough to finally bring a Lombardi home...I only hoped we would do just enough to get it done.

That article described the Falcons to the very core. They're gonna have to dig deep and figure out why and fix it fast or heads will indeed roll...and unfortunately, it would be Smitty that's the first to go.

Exactly! this isn't new; the first 3 years of Mike Smith's and Matt Ryan's years I let go: but there is no more excuses for these dudes. The fact the Falcons are 7 years in with this crew and the fans (well the ones who actually care) are still wondering what the heck is going on says a lot.