Amoeba Defense

Falcon Fantom

Last year we seen Nolan bring out this package against some of the best QBs in the NFL. The Falcons "Amoeba" looks confused Peyton and had the defense with the 4th or 3rd best takeaways in the league, then all of a sudden it was not used as frequently. I remember it was not as effective against the running/read option QBs. Anyway, I expect to see the "Amoeba" in full force this year, especially in the Stains game. Nolan has another year and has added more pieces to fit his scheme. That is all

It's also not effective against 4 wide and empty sets. Obviously the aints aren't beating us w/ a read option, but they could go 4/5 wide and force us out of it. All you'd have to do is put graham split out w/ sproles and hit sproles on a quick bubble screen and he'd be off to the races.

It's also not effective against 4 wide and empty sets. Obviously the aints aren't beating us w/ a read option, but they could go 4/5 wide and force us out of it. All you'd have to do is put graham split out w/ sproles and hit sproles on a quick bubble screen and he'd be off to the races.

Good point. I think they have enough defensive playersto audible out if they go empty and 5 sets though.

This is part of why I like Nolan so much. Having a Patrick Willis or JJ Watt would be nice. But from a scheme standpoint, nothing is more effective than being variable against the top QBs.

dude imagine if Nolan had Bierman & Connor Barwin to work with on the field. I was really hoping we went after him but oh well. since we didn't get a space eating DT, I think maybe he's putting emphasis on speed. plus if our guys would simply make 50% of the tackles they miss we'd be a top 5 defense easily

Last year we seen saw Nolan bring out this package against some of the best QBs in the NFL. The Falcons "Amoeba" looks confused Peyton and had the defense with the 4th or 3rd best takeaways in the league, then all of a sudden it was not used as frequently. I remember it was not as effective against the running/read option QBs. Anyway, I expect to see the "Amoeba" in full force this year, especially in the Stains game. Nolan has another year and has added more pieces to fit his scheme. That is all

Fixed. wink.png

Last year we seen Nolan bring out this package against some of the best QBs in the NFL. The Falcons "Amoeba" looks confused Peyton and had the defense with the 4th or 3rd best takeaways in the league, then all of a sudden it was not used as frequently. I remember it was not as effective against the running/read option QBs. Anyway, I expect to see the "Amoeba" in full force this year, especially in the Stains game. Nolan has another year and has added more pieces to fit his scheme. That is all

They don't need the amoeba against Brees, all they need to do is allow the safeties to roam and undercut Brees' passes just like they did last year. Brees likes to look one way and throw the complete opposite. I think our defense caught on to that.

The reason we didn't see the amoeba look later in the year is because of the type of teams we were playing. Run oriented teams, especially ones that utilize the read option, require extremely sound gap integrity to be successful. When you're constantly shifting like that, it's very easy to lose control of your gap on a running place by being caught out of position.

The reason we didn't see the amoeba look later in the year is because of the type of teams we were playing. Run oriented teams, especially ones that utilize the read option, require extremely sound gap integrity to be successful. When you're constantly shifting like that, it's very easy to lose control of your gap on a running place by being caught out of position.

Good point. Peyton's about as immobile as they come lol

If you noticed, we used it a bunch against Denver, and not much at all against Brees. Why? Manning is great at making pre-snap reads and picking match ups based on personnel. Brees (like Ryan) uses the pre-snap reads just to get into the right play. He is less committed to a primary target pre-snap than Manning is. This makes the amoeba somewhat less effective against him.

If you noticed, we used it a bunch against Denver, and not much at all against Brees. Why? Manning is great at making pre-snap reads and picking match ups based on personnel. Brees (like Ryan) uses the pre-snap reads just to get into the right play. He is less committed to a primary target pre-snap than Manning is. This makes the amoeba somewhat less effective against him.

Ryan probably compares more to Manning in that comparison...he usually chooses his read before the ball is snapped. One of the reasons he's not killed behind our line

Ryan probably compares more to Manning in that comparison...he usually chooses his read before the ball is snapped. One of the reasons he's not killed behind our line

Difference of opinion. I think Ryan has a match up in mind pre-snap, but I don't think it is something he is locked into. I think he makes decisions in real time more like Brees. Manning and Brady are the great tacticians. I think Ryan and Brees are more instinctive. They do their homework for sure, but they are not totally committed to "in this look he WILL be open if I let it develop." If they have a primary, they forget as soon as the ball is snapped and the defense starts to unfold.

This is the post....

Did anybody else see that this preseason?

The Falcons used a package this preseason where all the defenders stood up and moved around the line. Just like Rob Ryan uses (the Falcons want to be us so bad). It confused their opponent and forced a punt a couple of times.

Hopefully a training camp of going against this all summer, has prepared our offense for this attack. Because the Falcons seemed to use it on 3rd down.