Saints Game Perspective

TATF Brothers and Sisters,

Here it is from a Saints fan. I hardly ever post in TATF, but I've been hanging out in Rivals for a longtime.

In the interest of self disclosure, I hate the Falcons. Grew up a Saints fan from the opening kickoff in 1967. Sat in the the old Tulane Stadium, then the Superdome. Endured many painful years as a Saints fan. Same as some of you as Falcon fans. Mora Sr. was the first coach who brought joy, but he couldn't find a playoff victory if it were tucked away in his wallet. Payton brought us the Lombardi and I cried like other Saints fans, for days and weeks....

One thing I know is this. The Falcon/Saints games mean more each season than any other regular season game. It's always been a war. Back in the NFCW days, the Falcons owned the Saints. In the NFCS days, especially under Sean Payton, the Saints have owned the Falcons. Both teams hate each other. Records are thrown out the window and best of each team typically shows up. Fights break out on the field and fans are at full throttle in the stadium. Roddy runs his mouth, and lately, Jimmy Graham matches him. This week won't be any different.

I'll be in the Superdome Sunday, and tailgating all morning before the game. Most of you will watch on TV. The stadium will be at fever pitch come kickoff, and I hope the Saints crush the Falcons. TG will score, and Graham will match him. Pierre Thomas will score and SJax will match him. Brees will be ready, and I'm sure Ryan will to. But will either Defense show up? Can the Falcon O-line hold up? Can the Saints LB's make a play?

If history is the judge, the game will come down to late 4th Quarter after many lead changes.

Some things never change, thank God!

Screw you guys! Here's to a barnburner!

SaintRay

Hello SaintRay. I'm sorry for the struggle that must be your life living in that quagmire of New Orleans. So, how have the Aint's fans been feeling since the shortage of recycled, brown paper? Will your fan base be able to go on without your traditional head wear that hides the identities of other inbreeds routing for such a pathetic team as the Aint's? Has your owner been threatening to move the team to L.A. like he did the year before Katrinia hit?

Oh, well let's not discuss pleasantries. Your team sucks. Our defense is going to rape that little mole covered QB of yours and your defense will be exposed as the great fraud that it is. I hope we don't hurt them too bad because isn't the prom next week, and I believe high school football players have a curfew on Sundays. Oh, it dosen't matter, they will be going to the prom with their sisters anyway, so we can pound on them all afternoon.

Hay Ray - Remember Big Ben? Two of my favorite Falcons/Saints Rivalry games ever! In the same year, Bart tosses a Hail Mary pass in the last seconds of both games to win! (I think Billy White Shoes caught them but could be wrong.) What made it even sweeter, I was living in N.O. and working in Slidell at the time -Talk about gloating - I loved it!

SaintRay had a good post, I love my falcons and i love football, I share no animosity towards any team, but i do not care much for the saints, i hope we can sweep them this year and close the gap that was made when vick was here. good luck to the saints i hope you all lose your minds at the end of the game when the falcons win :)

SaintRay, since you are a true saints fan, I must ask a question that has been bothering me. Do Saint's players have to pay the entire bounty, or do the fans also chip in? :-)

I can't believe the NFL would schedule such a big game in week one. Don't know if my heart can handle it. I need a few weeks to build up for such a big game.

Oh, I forgot...Rise up Atlanta!

it was wallace francis on one of the hail marys i remember. and by the way no falcon fan has ever had to justify ANY failings of our leadership inaleague rules like these taints trash. no matter how many wins this new orleans "tean" ever wins they all know, EVERYBODY knows what kind of LOSERS from top to bottom they are. wow what a legacy they have

Hay Ray - Remember Big Ben? Two of my favorite Falcons/Saints Rivalry games ever! In the same year, Bart tosses a Hail Mary pass in the last seconds of both games to win! (I think Billy White Shoes caught them but could be wrong.) What made it even sweeter, I was living in N.O. and working in Slidell at the time -Talk about gloating - I loved it!

I can go you one better, Grover Kelmer was the ref who threw the flag that allowed the Falcons to win in Atlanta (pass interference call in the endzone on the last play of the game). He was from the New Orleans area and was scheduled to ride home on the same jet as the team. The Saints made him find his own way home after the game.. and every game after that...wink.png

Oh, thanks for all the well wishes guys....I'm flattered!

I remember both "Big Ben's" very well. I saw the end of the 2nd one standing in front of a tv at Woolco in Slidell.Both were in 1978, 2 weeks apart. Time has kind of altered people's memories on the 2nd one.It wasn't a TD. It was actually intercepted at the 1, but the Saints were called for def pass interference, which gave the ball to the falcons, which ran it in to win. The NFL later stated that the refs made the wrong call and the interception should have counted, which means,Saints win. I guess those "katrina refs" have been trying to make amends to the Saints since then..

I rarely ever get Football Crazy Mad. You know the kind of mad where you might kick or throw something? But I have gotten FBCM watching Falcons and Saints games. From poor efforts to suspicious officiating, these games have driven me up the wall.

I'm so looking forward to Sunday. Win or lose, I'll be some kind of football crazy watching this game, and enjoying every minute of it. Here's to no injuries for either team.

Good post Ray.

I would start by saying we hate yall too.

Also, even though the Aints own the NFCS record it wasn't easy.

I truly believe we will either struggle in a close one again, or flat out blow your defense out.

Gonna come down to how we handle our preseason woes which were red zone TDs, 3rd down conversions and penalties. Usually whatever happens in preseason follows us throughout the regular season and/or postseason.

If our players execute, good night. If they don't this board will melt down by 5pm ET on Sunday 9/8/2013. Trust me.

What concerns me in this game, is the same thing that always concerns me, Drew Brees. I am hoping for repeat of last years game, not necessarily the interceptions, but the pressure and the disruption it caused. Going by previous games, it easy to predict completions by how long Brees has to throw. The other problem is when the Falcons have managed to get near him, they cannot seem to get him down. He is shorter and that makes it harder to locate him and get a good hold, but the Falcons must follow up good pressure with containment and sacks as well. Brees can do damage just as easily outside the pocket. The Falcons seemed to have remedied those problems in the last meeting, so I am hoping that was not just an aberration.

I know it goes without saying that Drew Brees can beat the Falcons if he is not controlled, but holding the tempo more to the Falcons' liking is important as well. I like Ryan. He is our guy, and I would not have it any other way, but shootouts are not his style. He is a maticulous drive orchestrator, Brees is a slinger who has no fear in going down field and scoring quickly, so I always worry about these type opponents. The defense has to do their job, at the very least, they have to make the Saints drive the whole distance.

I can go you one better, Grover Kelmer was the ref who threw the flag that allowed the Falcons to win in Atlanta (pass interference call in the endzone on the last play of the game). He was from the New Orleans area and was scheduled to ride home on the same jet as the team. The Saints made him find his own way home after the game.. and every game after that...wink.png

Oh, thanks for all the well wishes guys....I'm flattered!

Yah - sounds like the Katrina refs you guys have bought and paid for this decade, except that it was a real PI. Sorta like the one that didn't get called against San Fran in the NCCG this year.

What concerns me in this game, is the same thing that always concerns me, Drew Brees. I am hoping for repeat of last years game, not necessarily the interceptions, but the pressure and the disruption it caused. Going by previous games, it easy to predict completions by how long Brees has to throw. The other problem is when the Falcons have managed to get near him, they cannot seem to get him down. He is shorter and that makes it harder to locate him and get a good hold, but the Falcons must follow up good pressure with containment and sacks as well. Brees can do damage just as easily outside the pocket. The Falcons seemed to have remedied those problems in the last meeting, so I am hoping that was not just an aberration.

I know it goes without saying that Drew Brees can beat the Falcons if he is not controlled, but holding the tempo more to the Falcons' liking is important as well. I like Ryan. He is our guy, and I would not have it any other way, but shootouts are not his style. He is a maticulous drive orchestrator, Brees is a slinger who has no fear in going down field and scoring quickly, so I always worry about these type opponents. The defense has to do their job, at the very least, they have to make the Saints drive the whole distance.

You make some good points about last meeting. I've always wondered how much the very physical game against 49ers and very very short week affected the team? Brees had a lot of throws where he under threw them causing a few of the INTs which is incredibly unusual for him. The rest were a result of being down multiple scores, game running out of time and needing to throw, and Falcons defense knowing he had to throw and thus sitting back in nickel and dime waiting to jump throws. Add to that Brees looking like his accuracy was slightly off and you have multiple INTs. Not to take anything away from a great game played by Falcoms defense, but I think Brees wasn't 100% recovered from 49er's game.