I'm Surprised Nobody's Mentioned...

BankerBird™

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You are dead wrong . Richard Sherman was a beast 2nd half of his rookie season he just wasn't on a national stage and didnt make a name for himself . Trufant wasn't really tested in pre season like Alford was so we don't know if Trufant is truly ready but coaches feel like he is and they spent 2 draft picks on him and it would look kind of undermining if Alford beat out Trufant especially after Falcons gave up a 3rd round pick to move up especially for Trufant

Alford was never in Falcons plan but was BPA on TD draft board but according to Falcons beat writer , TD truly didnt get the position/ player he wanted in 2nd round

you have to admit though drafting bpa at an area of need is smart. This is what Ozzie newsome does in Baltimore

I personally would start Asante and McCLain.

Move McClain inside in the nickel with either Trufant or Alford at RCB. Wouldn't count Franks out either. He's been covering well.

At the moment I like Alford over Trufant just based on attitude, psyche and run support.

Would also let Alford return punts and kicks.

All of em will probably get to play Sunday against Breesus. They better be ready.

not ready for the nfl? give me a break. he has had two picks in preseason, and broke up plays. Yea he has gotten beat but what cb doesn't even if there not a rookie.

I agree. It's easy to point fingers at rookie CB's, but every CB in the league gets beat on a regular basis. No matter who you have back there, they aren't going to pitch a shut-out. I like both our rookie CB's to become top 10 in the league in a season or two.

Alford will still get good playing time in nickle and dime packages. I play madden and set the depth charts up as in real life, and RA was on the field a lot on passing downs. It's either him or franks with sub packages.

No wonder every one who plays Madden is a better coach and GM compared to MS and TD. Smh..

...that Trufant apparently beat out Alford for the starting RCB job (at least, according to the depth chart.) Or, am I confused and it was always Smitty's plan to put Alford on the left side?

Personally, I would have given Alford the edge (at RCB). I just think he's more physical and is a better tackler. In the long run, I think they're both going to be great DBs for us, so, it's not a huge gap between them; it's just my opinion from what I've observed during the preseason.

Alford was burnt toast against the titans

...that Trufant apparently beat out Alford for the starting RCB job (at least, according to the depth chart.) Or, am I confused and it was always Smitty's plan to put Alford on the left side?

Personally, I would have given Alford the edge (at RCB). I just think he's more physical and is a better tackler. In the long run, I think they're both going to be great DBs for us, so, it's not a huge gap between them; it's just my opinion from what I've observed during the preseason.

<<<< I agree but You got a first round pick and a 2nd round pick around here 1st round wins kind of like Holmes 3rd round pick beating out schreader FA. I think Schreader has played better.

TD mentioned during the Tennessee game that Alford is going to get a lot of playing time this season and it's good he is getting tested now.

It looks like HD is our punt returner so what exactly do they have in mind with Alford? McClain is the best nickle corner we have had for years and I don't think Alford has even played much there this preseason so it's likely McClain's job.

I think Nolan used an extra Safety in dime packages last season instead of a CB, but it sounds like he will run even more dime this season with Alford in there. Now that I think about it Franks might have played some in the dime, but that might have just been when Hope was injured.

The fact that we kept so many safeties had me thinking he would use an extra safety more, but I'm not sure what the whole plan is.

It's like this:

Trufant's skillsets and playing style are more geared for a shutdown corner than anything. He doesn't dare anyone to test him since he simply latches onto his man and makes it difficult for him to get open (eg. Jacoby Jones) and when there is separation he has the change of direction and acceleration to make up the ground extremely quickly (eg. his interception against the Jaguars). So, the less he's thrown against the better he's doing and, ultimately, he'll develop into Trufant Island if all goes according to plan.

Alford is more like players such as Deion Sanders, Antonio Cromartie, and Asante. He likes to dare QBs to throw in his direction by giving WRs just enough leeway to make it look like they're open and then make a burst to get the interception and then use his return ability to make something happen. This will make him look like a better playmaker than Trufant, since I don't think Trufant will get that many interceptions, but it also makes him more prone to giving up big plays when he loses his gambles.

The thing with both of them, however, is that they primarily play man coverage, namely off man, which frees up Nolan to use the front seven more aggressively instead of using cover schemes which tries to keep everything in front of the secondary and LBs, which was a big reason why the defense broke down in such a big way in the playoffs against the read option. Likewise when they are both starting in a year or two opposing QBs will have an island to one side and a ballhawk to the other with confusing, aggressive pressure packages coming at him. Good luck with that.

It's like this:

Trufant's skillsets and playing style are more geared for a shutdown corner than anything. He doesn't dare anyone to test him since he simply latches onto his man and makes it difficult for him to get open (eg. Jacoby Jones) and when there is separation he has the change of direction and acceleration to make up the ground extremely quickly (eg. his interception against the Jaguars). So, the less he's thrown against the better he's doing and, ultimately, he'll develop into Trufant Island if all goes according to plan.

Alford is more like players such as Deion Sanders, Antonio Cromartie, and Asante. He likes to dare QBs to throw in his direction by giving WRs just enough leeway to make it look like they're open and then make a burst to get the interception and then use his return ability to make something happen. This will make him look like a better playmaker than Trufant, since I don't think Trufant will get that many interceptions, but it also makes him more prone to giving up big plays when he loses his gambles.

The thing with both of them, however, is that they primarily play man coverage, namely off man, which frees up Nolan to use the front seven more aggressively instead of using cover schemes which tries to keep everything in front of the secondary and LBs, which was a big reason why the defense broke down in such a big way in the playoffs against the read option. Likewise when they are both starting in a year or two opposing QBs will have an island to one side and a ballhawk to the other with confusing, aggressive pressure packages coming at him. Good luck with that.

broken down very well......thanks