Despite All Their Success, The Falcons Still Have A Glaring Hole That Has Yet To Be Successfully Filled.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Titans were getting consistent pressure and sacks most of the time with 4 guys.

The Falcons on the other hand looked like they needed to bring 7 to have any hope of a sack.

Every pick next draft needs to be OL/DL and every udfa needs to be OL/DL

With that many players there has to be someone that can play OL/DL

I think Konz will be ok, but no confidence in the others

The Titans were getting consistent pressure and sacks most of the time with 4 guys.

The Falcons on the other hand looked like they needed to bring 7 to have any hope of a sack.

Every pick next draft needs to be OL/DL and every udfa needs to be OL/DL

With that many players there has to be someone that can play OL/DL

I think Konz will be ok, but no confidence in the others

I was sitting there watching and it seemed like the Titans had 13 players on the field vs. 10 for the Falcons..............that's how lopsided it looked.

TD does not value edge rushers highly from what we've seen and based on the fact that we have a rookie UDFA splitting time with Nicholas at 1st team SLB I am 98% confident we're taking a LB in the first round this year, especially given that there are several extremely talented 4-3 WLB that are eligible for this draft (Basically draft a WLB and move Spoon to SLB) Also we have 5 DTs on the roster, 3 of them will be FAs after this season, and Asante is likely going to be cut IMO due to the fact he has a 6 mil cap figure for 2014 and his ability to stay injury free at this point in his career is very poor.

Dimitroff seems confident in trying to develop Massaquoi, Maponga, and Goodman and trying to get a pass rush from them.

Dimitroff last night acted like he only wants one guy who can rush the passer. He said he wanted his LE to be bigger guys who isn't going to bend around the edge as well (Goodman).

I know that isn't what he really meant, but he did say he wants the explosive guys at RE and a guy to set the edge on the Left. That is understandable, but you still got to have pass rushers somewhere. Either you need tackles to collapse the pocket, LBs, a nickle package, anything.

We didn't see Mass take a snap with the 1st team I don't think last night. He seems to be our 2nd best rusher and needs to be on the field in passing situations. Bierman is versatile, and plays hard, but isn't going to beat may Tackles for sacks. Preseason, hope to see Mass/Maponga in the regular.

It's simple if you get in the mind of the opposing QB a la throw his ars on the turf early then you better believe it changes the whole play calling and schemes. Nothing fuks with the other team more than sacking their QB

Why in the living hel doesn't Coach Smith and Mike Nolan know this?

The edge guys and interior pass rusher...they are being blocked too well...there isn't a guy who takes up space in the middle. This is the problem and has been since mid '07. Won't get right again until someone can fill that void.

Wouldn't have been as big of a deal if Abe was here with Osi, but alas. Everyone is getting blocked clean, something even Titans aren't having happen because they have space-eaters. Not huge guys, but guys that take up space at the POA. We don't have that, when smaller DT's can't do it, you go larger just for the sake of size.

It does work, you just have to do it.

TD does not value edge rushers highly from what we've seen and based on the fact that we have a rookie UDFA splitting time with Nicholas at 1st team SLB I am 98% confident we're taking a LB in the first round this year, especially given that there are several extremely talented 4-3 WLB that are eligible for this draft (Basically draft a WLB and move Spoon to SLB) Also we have 5 DTs on the roster, 3 of them will be FAs after this season, and Asante is likely going to be cut IMO due to the fact he has a 6 mil cap figure for 2014 and his ability to stay injury free at this point in his career is very poor.

Dimitroff seems confident in trying to develop Massaquoi, Maponga, and Goodman and trying to get a pass rush from them.

Can I ask something here? I keep being told that a SLB is supposed to be good at block shedding and run support...but they line up on the TE - so wouldnt a SLB need to be good in coverage also? I've always thought that and wondered how much better our D would be if Spoon was at SLB, he is much better in coverage and is pretty good at penetrating as well.

Zodiac I was kind of hoping we would take Minter in the 1st, no matter how much people harp on RG, RT, and DE, I still believe our LB corps is a big concern.

No i get what you are saying.. But i can also show you that some of our Ints last year came from QB's that had pressure in their face....

I think yall are taking Coach Smith comments the wrong way... I dont think he is saying sacks dont matter... Thats what DEs get paid for.. But lets be real... If a DE have 2 sacks in a game but doesnt effect the other 60 plays... Did he really make a HUGE impact on that game.... No.... Just 2 plays out of 60+ plays... If the guy gets 1 sack but have 5 hurries and one help create a int and 2 other of those created incompletions .... Is that a bigger impact on a game.... Yes

Sacks can be over-rated but they can also be very important... I also think the right pressure can be very important also

Bravo.

Fully agree with this article.

TD has been a bust at trying to get a NFL level DE. These guys we drafted are talentless. Only hope is really mossaqoui or maponga. We should've definately got Bjorn werner, or margus hunt.

I dont know how we can afford passing up talented des.

I wanted Cornellius "Tank" Carradine!

Edited by ElDragon21

I have the utmost respect for Dimitroff and the policies and procedures he put into practice for this once downtrodden organization. For the most part it's been a wildly successful formula and Im thankful for it. That being said, I wholeheartedly wanted us to take Alec Ogletree in the 1st round despite his minor character red flags. Then we take Alford in the 2nd and our team would be much better IMO, especially covering athletic TE's running down the middle of our defense. His interception of Manning was a thing of beauty and he **** near pulled off what would have been an even more impressive pick. Two passes defended, a pick and 7 tackles against Denvers starting offensive. He is a disruptive force and I would have loved for him to play for his hometown Falcons.

That being said, I like Trufant a lot and I see a few pro bowl appearances as his career unfolds. Ogletree could be special though...

No i get what you are saying.. But i can also show you that some of our Ints last year came from QB's that had pressure in their face....

I think yall are taking Coach Smith comments the wrong way... I dont think he is saying sacks dont matter... Thats what DEs get paid for.. But lets be real... If a DE have 2 sacks in a game but doesnt effect the other 60 plays... Did he really make a HUGE impact on that game.... No.... Just 2 plays out of 60+ plays... If the guy gets 1 sack but have 5 hurries and one help create a int and 2 other of those created incompletions .... Is that a bigger impact on a game.... Yes

Sacks can be over-rated but they can also be very important... I also think the right pressure can be very important also

These are NFL quarterbacks, they can survive pressure and still make a play.

I've never seen any qb make a play after being sacked, NFL or otherwise.

Sacks end plays, pressure just alters them

to all of you whining about a pass rush, howd we do last year vs pocket passers? i remember forcing 10 ints vs 2 mannings and brees.

i also remember us struggling with read option qbs pretty badly.

you know whats not going to help against read option qbs? pass rushers.

you know what is going to help against read option qbs? overall speed on defense and he have a lot more of it this year.

These are NFL quarterbacks, they can survive pressure and still make a play.

I've never seen any qb make a play after being sacked, NFL or otherwise.

Sacks end plays, pressure just alters them

Pressures cause int's. I've seen a sack end a play and the very next play was a 60 yard td strike. Brady, Manning, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers etc all perform worse when they are constantly pressured and move off their square. Sacks don't stop them. It stops the play like you said but those guys will get up and gut you the very next play if you don't bring more pressure. We got 8 int's off manning and Brees because of good pressure not sacks. But a few sacks was thrown in there for good measure. Pressure in a qb's face is what he can't stand. He'd rather be sacked and trust his line to give him another shot than throw a bad pick because the pressure rushed him. Only a handful of nfl qb's escape pressure more than average and those are the running qb's. But the also get sacked more too.

Edited by TheFatboi

True, but why didn't we sign Abe back or go after another pass rusher? Why not pick up Seymour?

If we had picked Abe back up - we would truly have a pass rush.

But, the truth is this.... We have been a winning team since 2008. What does that mean? Our draft picks haven't been high. Texans, Bucs, 49ers and a lot of other teams have had high picks for several years in the past 5 or so years - and they have been building on their lines - both sides.

We've picked middle to late each of those years except the 1st one. We've spent a lot of those picks on secondary, skill players and linebackers. What we have failed to get at a very high level, regardless of pick number, is the top of the line lineman for either side.

If we can't get the lines fixed, the rest will struggle in spite of skill, but will have more success than expected because of skill. We need to focus and fix those lines - the pass rush will come and so will the post season success.

True, but why didn't we sign Abe back or go after another pass rusher? Why not pick up Seymour?

If we had picked Abe back up - we would truly have a pass rush.

But, the truth is this.... We have been a winning team since 2008. What does that mean? Our draft picks haven't been high. Texans, Bucs, 49ers and a lot of other teams have had high picks for several years in the past 5 or so years - and they have been building on their lines - both sides.

We've picked middle to late each of those years except the 1st one. We've spent a lot of those picks on secondary, skill players and linebackers. What we have failed to get at a very high level, regardless of pick number, is the top of the line lineman for either side.

If we can't get the lines fixed, the rest will struggle in spite of skill, but will have more success than expected because of skill. We need to focus and fix those lines - the pass rush will come and so will the post season success.

There is a lot of truth in this post. There was much to fix when TD and Smitty arrived, much more than many of us probably realized. We were for the most part drafting in 'the middle of the pack' making it difficult to cover each need with a top tier player. There have been a number of late draft picks and UDFA's ( none more than this year) who have enough talent to make a bid to make the final 53. However, they are not as 'finished' as the top college draftees so we must have patience while they develop. Several ,after a couple of years, may be ready to significantly contribute this year. Let's see where the team is about mid season, then decide if 1 or 2 more high draft players will be necessary to get us where we all want to be.

I just want someone to step up and cause havoc to the Saints week 1. I get tired of him just sitting in the pocket and making 10-20yard pass receptions down the middle of the field. I am hoping Osi would get some pressure and cause a few turnovers. Or better yet our DTs would wreck havoc right up the middle.

http://www.nationalf...Blitz-9854.html

I fully believe in TD .. How the guy has brought us to a consistent contender from where we were is big ... Im a TD guy.... Saying that I FULLLLLLY agree with this article... We must find rushers man.. Inside and out... I dont agree with Lenny P bringing up guys like Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson (Even tho i wanted both... Had both in my Mocks that year) .... Greg Hardy was in the 6th round... Thats like blaming the Lions for missing on Brady.. It was the freaking 6th round.. If his team knew he was going to be that they would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder... It stings even more that we wanted Justin Houston but KC took him....

But i agree with Lenny P big picture... Like TD attacked the CB position this year... We need to attack the pass rush position... Lenny thru out a big number of pass rushers we have drafted over the years but how many has been 1st or 2nd round picks ? Heck or even 3rd round picks...

I did hate the fact that TD lean on the "most of the early round pass rushers dont product more then 5 sacks their rookie year" comment this draft season... Im good with 5 or 6 sacks right now but its not about just now.. Its about the future also... I know TD gets that.

Like i said.. Im a TD guy... The guy has done some good work..... One of the better GM's in this league... He will help bring us home that trophy .... Hopefully Mass Effect gets the chance to play alot of snaps and develop those flashes we've seen.... But i have to agree with this article Big picture

What do Greg Hardy and Justin Houston have in common? both had a mark against them going into those years drafts. Houston failed a drug test and dropped from late 1st to mid 3rd round. Greg Hardy was thought to be a 2nd round talent but was said to have some personality quirks.

Dimitroff probably removed both these guys off his draft board.....we will never catch these falling stars because of the "cherish the lockerroom" mentality. We end up drafting "special teams guys" and "lockerroom guys" in rounds 4-7 while other teams are taking chances on some more talented players that have character concerns - this is why the bottom-half of Falcons roster always sucks and we never develop players - because the bottom-half of the roster is devoid of talent to develop.