Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raysnill1

Chip Kelly Gets It, Hopefully Coach Smith Will Too Lol

122 posts in this topic

Chip Kelly knows that time of possession is overrated

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League Editor

Time of possession has long been one of the most overrated statistics in football. It's broken out by lazy announcers that habitually talk about "controlling the ball" without thinking about what that means.

Thankfully, new Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly can make the point better than I can.

"I've heard the question about time of possession, but we've talked about all the time -- time of possession is how much time can the other team waste," Kelly told the Philadelphia media Friday via CSNPhilly.com. "Most games, we lose the time of possession, but it's how many snaps do you face? And I think in both [preseason] games we've played, we've played more snaps than our other team."

Bill Belichick has said similar things over the years. Points matter. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to score if you score. And it doesn't matter how long you had the ball if you don't score. (The Pittsburgh Steelers and Detroit Lions ranked second and third in TOP last season.)

Kelly mentioned a game where UCLA held the ball for 38:31 and Oregon held the ball for 21:29. Oregon won 60-13.

"So all I gathered was that they stand around a lot more [on the field] than we do," said Kelly. "So I think when people look at the time of possession, and that's what people look at automatically ... it's not time of possession. It's plays run is what I look at because you're not exerting any energy if you're just standing in the huddle."

FootballOutsiders has done a nice job over years proving that good teams run the ball when they win, not win because they run. Perhaps Kelly and friends will help prove to everyone how useless time of possession is too.

Chip or Mike??? I want to be like Mike. We are fortunate to have coach Smith

Well as with most opinions, there are good points to be said about both approaches. I think the main issue is that you can't just have one strategy to win, especially in the NFL. What I mean is you have to adapt to your team's strengths and weaknesses while also considering the current circumstances in the game as Tandy pointed out in her post. I am glad you guys highlighted that Kelly meant the number of plays run is more important that just plain TOP because I misunderstood the original post myself. However, that statement by the author of the article at the end that TOP is useless seems to be a naive statement. Talk about over- generalization.

Many of you also made excellent points about the difference in parity in the NFL, which to my mind means that you can't always translate what works in college to the NFL. Additionally, you have to consider the personnel involved. For example, what works with a Tom Brady is not necessarily going to work with whoever the Eagles play at QB as Banker pointed out. Smitty has always been focused on ball control and TOP. With his record, it is hard to argue with that style of play.

Now help me here because I have a very poor memory. But I seem to recall that in one of our playoff games last year we had the lead. Then when Matt got the ball back they went deep and we were intercepted, which is not Smitty's usual style at all. My point is that he did "go for the jugular" in that situation (if my memory is correct) instead of his usual grind it out mode. I am not sure that Smitty is as rigid as we assume he is about our style of play. He started out his tenure here with a ground attack offense, but has evolved into a passing one. Additionally, he has shown the willingness to take chances occasionally, especially on 4th and short situations in playoff games where the other team had a potent offense, even though the outcome of those gambles were not favorable. I think too often people just tend to label him without seeing the entire picture.

neekah likes this

Question #2: How many NFL regular season games have Chip Kelly won?

He's undefeated, I'm pretty sure.

He's undefeated, I'm pretty sure.

Undefeated, yes.

A Winner, no.

An expert in NFL strategies, probably not.

Experienced in what it takes to get to the NFL playoffs? Not.

It's his first year, he'll bring some of this strategies to the NFL, just like Saban did and just like Petrino did. Those guys - 2 of the winningest coaches in College tried to bring their exact strategies to the NFL and found it didn't work.

Maybe Kelly's will and maybe they won't. Time will tell.

Undefeated, yes.

A Winner, no.

It's his first year, he'll bring some of this strategies to the NFL, just like Saban did and just like Petrino did. Those guys - 2 of the winningest coaches in College tried to bring their exact strategies to the NFL and found it didn't work.

Spurrier too.

Undefeated, yes.

A Winner, no.

Don't think that I'm implying for an instant that I would rather have Kelly over Smith. I love Mike Smith and what he's done for this team. I only was saying what I did because I hate when people act like because he hasn't done something before the opportunity arises that it's a valid argument. It's not. Saying 'How many times has Chip Kelly done this in the NFL?' Is a stupid thing to say when he hasn't even coached an NFL game yet. That's like saying Desmond Trufant should be released because he's never picked off an NFL QB before.

Don't think that I'm implying for an instant that I would rather have Kelly over Smith. I love Mike Smith and what he's done for this team. I only was saying what I did because I hate when people act like because he hasn't done something before the opportunity arises that it's a valid argument. It's not. Saying 'How many times has Chip Kelly done this in the NFL?' Is a stupid thing to say when he hasn't even coached an NFL game yet. That's like saying Desmond Trufant should be released because he's never picked off an NFL QB before.

Yeah, I got that.

I don't argue with Smitty, but I would love to see him let them loose for 60 minutes and see how much they could score. But, I'm a fan, not a Coach, so I leave it at that. I will say this, he needs to change some of his playoff strategies, and it seemed that this past year, he did start testing the water - and we had some success. If we can get our defense to step up and our offense will learn to put it down for the last 30 - we got it made!

neekah and raysnill1 like this

Spurrier too.

I almost put Spurrier, but when I thought of him, all I could see was him standing on the sidelines in Washington, lips flapping for 30 minutes straight and I started laughing and forgot to add him.

Yeah, I got that.

I don't argue with Smitty, but I would love to see him let them loose for 60 minutes and see how much they could score.

I think everyone would love to see that. we could probably score at least 70 with the talent we have

Question: How many times has Chip Kelly won NFL Coach of the Year?

Better question: how many wins has he had as a NFL coach?

He reminds me of Petrino. Remember all the media and mb hype of his vaunted Louisville scheme? Now some will blame Vick getting arrested killed his scheme, but Honestly that college scheme didn't fool anyone. Other than Roddy White, we fell in every statistical category. I guess jerious had a good year, but the scheme was a mess. And might I remind all, that supposedly his scheme was so good you could plug and play QBs. After all it worked at Louisville.

Another example was Spurrier. Another plug and play QB system. That worked out well, didn't it?

I see the same things happening to Kelly. He has that same arrogance

Yeah, I got that.

I don't argue with Smitty, but I would love to see him let them loose for 60 minutes and see how much they could score. But, I'm a fan, not a Coach, so I leave it at that. I will say this, he needs to change some of his playoff strategies, and it seemed that this past year, he did start testing the water - and we had some success. If we can get our defense to step up and our offense will learn to put it down for the last 30 - we got it made!

Good post! I think Smith deserves credit (as you pointed out) for changing up his postseason strategy this last year.

Another factor will be the addition of SJax. I know it's been best to death, but in today's football you need a versatile back that can catch. I love turner to death but come playoff time against good defenses if he was in they simply keyed in on a run play. No disguise. Mke that mistake with SJax in the game.

resting a defense is huge, its not about your offense scoring its about resting your other starting 11 players.

This^^^

Kelly will find out soon enough. You should want to wear down the opponents defense not visa versa.

Question: How many times has Chip Kelly won NFL Coach of the Year?

zero... Chip Kelly is going to flop in the NFL in my opinion. He will be back in college in 3 years

BankerBird™ likes this

Isnt this the guy who picked the old coach killa to be his starting QB?

Kelly will be out of the NFL in 2 years.

I disagree with that. That offense will be explosive with all that speed. It's catered for Vicks style. All he needs is protection. Because Atl fans hate him doesn't mean he's still not a threat from the qb position. He's still a dangerous qb.

In my opinion, I'm actually really excited to see what the Eagles can do. I like the fast paced no huddle omg-lets-run-plays-in-ten-seconds-or-less offense. I really wanna see what it can do, and I think Vick can run that offense pretty good. We'll just have to wait and see.

TheFatboi likes this

I disagree with that. That offense will be explosive with all that speed. It's catered for Vicks style. All he needs is protection. Because Atl fans hate him doesn't mean he's still not a threat from the qb position. He's still a dangerous qb.

Always dangerous....to coaches.

Coach Killa

He is due for a good season, or at least some good games. That is part of what he does. He will show people enough to think he has changed/improved/turned the corner/finally found his perfect offense/etc. Illusory, but it is time for him to do it again now that he has a new coach. He will still lure Kelly onto the rocks sooner or later.

I don't give a crap what Vick and the giggles do! They can fall off the face if the earth for all I care. Rise the punk up and stop drolling over smoke and mirrors. This is big boy ball and if Chump Smelly thinks Ron Mexico is going to get him anywhere well he is only fooling himself.

Tuggle'2 and putnam6 like this

He is due for a good season, or at least some good games. That is part of what he does. He will show people enough to think he has changed/improved/turned the corner/finally found his perfect offense/etc. Illusory, but it is time for him to do it again now that he has a new coach. He will still lure Kelly onto the rocks sooner or later.

Yes sir

Vick didn't run Andy Ried out. Reid ran himself out. He lost the lockerroom. It was evident in how the players were responding to him. Then he fires a coach he hired to make the D better and it backfired. The oline didn't protect any of the qb's not just Vick. I understand ppl hate Vick and that's their right. Me myself can look past all that and still see a dangerous player when he's on. If he gets good protection he'll be dangerous in Kelly's offense. I hear all the "will he turn the corner" talk but truthfully he was the first of the new breed of qb and the read option wasn't a thing when he was in Atl. Now it's spreading throught the league and truth be told this IS the kind of offense suited for his style of play. Andy wanted him to be a pocket passer and it worked for a season until they couldn't protect him anymore. I liked your answer tho because it wasn't filled with blind hate. Vick is still a talented qb regardless of what happened in Atlanta. I'm just not the kinda guy to hate a guy forever after he's paid his debt. After all I thank Vick and the situation for landing us TD, Smitty, and Matt Ryan. That doesn't happen if none of the incident takes place.

FalconFanForLife likes this