Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raysnill1

Chip Kelly Gets It, Hopefully Coach Smith Will Too Lol

122 posts in this topic

Chip Kelly knows that time of possession is overrated

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League Editor

Time of possession has long been one of the most overrated statistics in football. It's broken out by lazy announcers that habitually talk about "controlling the ball" without thinking about what that means.

Thankfully, new Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly can make the point better than I can.

"I've heard the question about time of possession, but we've talked about all the time -- time of possession is how much time can the other team waste," Kelly told the Philadelphia media Friday via CSNPhilly.com. "Most games, we lose the time of possession, but it's how many snaps do you face? And I think in both [preseason] games we've played, we've played more snaps than our other team."

Bill Belichick has said similar things over the years. Points matter. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to score if you score. And it doesn't matter how long you had the ball if you don't score. (The Pittsburgh Steelers and Detroit Lions ranked second and third in TOP last season.)

Kelly mentioned a game where UCLA held the ball for 38:31 and Oregon held the ball for 21:29. Oregon won 60-13.

"So all I gathered was that they stand around a lot more [on the field] than we do," said Kelly. "So I think when people look at the time of possession, and that's what people look at automatically ... it's not time of possession. It's plays run is what I look at because you're not exerting any energy if you're just standing in the huddle."

FootballOutsiders has done a nice job over years proving that good teams run the ball when they win, not win because they run. Perhaps Kelly and friends will help prove to everyone how useless time of possession is too.

IMO time of possession is only good if you're getting 7pts out of the drive. It doesn't help you if your down and just running time off the play clock only to settle for 3 or even worse a punt.

But on a sidenote, Smith and Co. have made a living off TOP since they been here.

AREA 51, raysnill1 and Culain_04 like this

Haha, believe me, you want to keep that Defense off the field. His offense looks good right now, I give him that.

However, the biggest issue he will have is protecting the QB, especially that guy he has who doesn't know how to anticipate a throw. Spurrier didn't know how to protect a QB in this league. I am not so sure Kelly does either. It is a different world.

I don't know but they got the same amount of SB rings as head coaches.

At least let Kelly coach one NFL regular season first. He ain't at Oregon anymore, Toto.

resting a defense is huge, its not about your offense scoring its about resting your other starting 11 players.

That's the main thing to me. When you're in the 4th quarter, and the other team's defense is completely out of gas because they've been on the field most of the game, that basically puts your offense in complete control to finish them off.

resting a defense is huge, its not about your offense scoring its about resting your other starting 11 players.

I have mixed feelings about TOP. if you're up by 2 or 3 TDs I'm all for running the clock down but I'm also for getting points. say for instance we're ahead and a team knows we're gonna run so they slack off HD. I'm all about taking a shot to HD to get points rather than a quick out or slant to get another 1st down.

Yeah, Kelly might be singing a different tune when his sorry Eagles defense is letting the other team score 30+ points a game because not only are they a bad defense, but he's leaving them on the field 40 minutes a game.

At least let Kelly coach one NFL regular season first. He ain't at Oregon anymore, Toto.

well duh! you just coming off real confrontational today.

I think one thing to take into consideration is who you are playing. If I'm against Peyton Manning I want to keep him off the field as much as possible. If I'm playing against Mark Sanchez I don't really care.

Haha. Everyone in the NFL pays their players right out in the open, Chip. I think you may find this season will be full of eye-opening experiences you wouldn't get in the NCAA.

That's the main thing to me. When you're in the 4th quarter, and the other team's defense is completely out of gas because they've been on the field most of the game, that basically puts your offense in complete control to finish them off.

I would argue that what Chip Kelly appears to be saying, is it's more important how many plays your offense has than how long they are on the field. The defense is not necessarily as gassed if they are on the field longer if they're sitting around while the other team runs down the play clock every down. Ideally, you have the ball for a long time AND run a ton of plays. I think what he is saying though is running more plays is more important than holding the ball longer. I don't know if I agree or disagree, it just seems like his argument is being misconstrued.

HolyMoses likes this

Haha, believe me, you want to keep that Defense off the field. His offense looks good right now, I give him that.

However, the biggest issue he will have is protecting the QB, especially that guy he has who doesn't know how to anticipate a throw. Spurrier didn't know how to protect a QB in this league. I am not so sure Kelly does either. It is a different world.

Never underestimate game film. Right now teams have zero on Kelly. I'll judge how good his offense is at this level when he's faced some teams with some film on him.

I would argue that what Chip Kelly appears to be saying, is it's more important how many plays your offense has than how long they are on the field. The defense is not necessarily as gassed if they are on the field longer if they're sitting around while the other team runs down the play clock every down. Ideally, you have the ball for a long time AND run a ton of plays. I think what he is saying though is running more plays is more important than holding the ball longer. I don't know if I agree or disagree, it just seems like his argument is being misconstrued.

he's saying that the quality of plays being run beats just running out the clock and not scoring. he brought up the example of them beating a team that had the ball way longer than his team but it didn't matter when his team put up 60 points in less time.