Defending The Read-Option

SuperAINTSfan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's ironic everyone says only way to stop read option is to hit the qb, yet I don't see any proof of this statement. RG3 wasn't hurt on the read option. Hitting the qb is kinda of a dumb statement, it's like saying the way to stop a drop back passer is to sack them. If you hit the qb it's going to slow them down regardless if they run the read option. Kyle Shanny said in the read option the qb always knows who is unblocked, just hitting the qb is harder then it sounds.

I think it's ironic everyone says only way to stop read option is to hit the qb, yet I don't see any proof of this statement. RG3 wasn't hurt on the read option. Hitting the qb is kinda of a dumb statement, it's like saying the way to stop a drop back passer is to sack them. If you hit the qb it's going to slow them down regardless if they run the read option. Kyle Shanny said in the read option the qb always knows who is unblocked, just hitting the qb is harder then it sounds.

If I were a DC going against that offense I would tell my guys to hit the QB at any chance they got (within the rules).

run option is useless if you don't have a ridiculous defense there's only two teams in the nfl worth talking about that runs it.

There's only 4 teams that do run it, so saying 'there's only 2 worth talking about' isn't so meaningful. I presume you meant SEA and SF, but WAS is pretty good too. You realize that last year, if not for a miracle 30 second comeback, we would have had BOTH teams in the NFC Championship be option running teams? I really don't see how anyone can think there is some evidence out there that this offense can't work. Like anything, it has to be executed well. If executed poorly it won't work, if executed well it can.