Smith will be on the team and Wingo will be on the PS

Wingo has size, speed and vision. Probably could work on his hands, but he a natural runner.

Smith is making the team because he is ridiculously good on special teams, he has been with us a few years already, has had nice preseason performances in previous years, has signed a 2 year deal this offseason. Not saying the contract means he is a given to make it, but it does mean that its going to take one of the other guys to REALLY step up.

I think Vaughn is really overrated. Its just my opinion, but i am not a fan of the way he runs the ball. I dont think he will have alot of games where LB's are missing tackles in the backfield.

Edited by Clark Kent™

Am I the only one that wonders if keeping the known quantity of Snelling might keep us from developing (and ultimately benefitting from) greater potential from one of the other RBs? Not trying to start something, I'm just asking...

That is a very interesting thought. Snelling is one of my absolute favorite players. He has taken over Brian Finneran's position as "Mr. do whatever the team needs you to do."

But we need to start looking for our next featured running back. I don't think it is Rogers. It certainly is not Snelling. If it was Smith, we would see him running the ball more than once per season by now.

So we are sort of stymied. All four of our running backs are too valuable in their roles not to part of the 53 man roster. But there's no room to keep a guy like Wingo or even draft a running back in the fourth or fifth round that might develop. I think this solution will be using a second and third round pick for running back next year. This would be someone talented enough to work in with Jackson and Rogers as as a rookie, and take over for Jackson the following year. And either Snelling or Smith will be released.

Edited by holymoses

That is a very interesting thought. Snelling is one of my absolute favorite players. He has taken over Brian Finneran's position as "Mr. do whatever the team needs you to do."

But we need to start looking for our next featured running back. I don't think it is Rogers. It certainly is not Snelling. If it was Smith, we would see him running the ball more than once per season by now.

So we are sort of stymied. All four of our running backs are too valuable in their roles not to part of the 53 man roster. But there's no room to keep a guy like Wingo or even draft a running back in the fourth or fifth round that might develop. I think this solution will be using a second and third round pick for running back next year. This would be someone talented enough to work in with Jackson and Rogers as as a rookie, and take over for Jackson the following year. And either Snelling or Smith will be released.

A sixth RB can be protected on the roster if considered sufficiently valuable. That depends on who wins the 53rd roster spot. Pre PS3, Wingo is probably competing against Vaughan, Motta, Ishmael, Schiller, McClendon?, Regis?, ....

I would pick Vaughan if I needed a consistent tackle breaker, but Wingo has some good things going for him. He's got speed. He can pass protect. He might turn out to be a decent gunner after (many) more reps and an offseason of coaching.

All this goes back to what coach Smith said about this off-season being the most competitive since his first year as HC. The coaching staff is no doubt encountering the same questions which you have asked. They just don't have to answer them yet.