The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Through The Looking Glass - Preseason 2

richardc

Through the looking glass

Have you ever looked into the future? Many of us spend most of our day trying to predict the future. How will someone respond to this or that. What will happen next. Will that car stop in time?

While driving up I-85 one afternoon stuck in the middle of a Carolina roadblock, I saw a good ol' boy speed past me in the right lane, then push his way between me and the 18 wheeler in front of me that was driving 67 MPH. The car was kinda ratty and something didn't seem right when suddenly the ratty car in front of me had a blow out and twisted and skidded almost flipping over as he struggled to maintain control. I didn't foresee a blowout, but I did know something was going to happen because I had already lifted the gas and had my foot on the brake when it happened.

It is said that most people can actually see ia few seconds into the future. The Falcon's Preseason game 2 was more than a few second look into the future; it told us a lot about what we will see this season and like all Looking Glasses it showed the good, the bad and the ugly.

The Good:

• Run Defense - the TV crew listed Babineaux at Defensive End, not sure if that was a mistake or a fact. I also heard earlier in the week that Kroy Biermann, would be playing some Outside Linebacker. If these things are true, it would suggest moving some players around to solidify the run defense by moving our DT Babineaux to DE and DE Kroy Biermann to outside Linebacker. The result of this move was that Baltimore's starting RB Ray Rice only got 10 yards on 8 carries or a 1.3 yard average, when his career average is 4.5 yards per carry.
  • Passing Game - Ryan was on target. Our second string QB Davis seemed to have calmed down and was able to make some plays. Julio is picking up right where he left off a few months ago. Roddy looks focused. We seem to have some serious depth at WR with Davis, Cone and others.
  • Running Game - It was great to see Steven Jackson find some seams and get some yards, but what I really loved seeing was his pass catching and YAC. Rodgers was solid and some of his cutbacks were impressive. Vaughn looked excellent finding a seam or bouncing to the outside and turning on the speed to get 44 yards on 8 carries.
  • Worrilow showed up again leading the defense with 6 solo tackles, 1 for a loss, a QB sack and QB pressure. I'd love to see him get some time next week with the 1st string Defense. If you haven't read the article Ignored Hen about Worrilow, I recommend reading it. This guy could become a playmaker for the Falcons going forward, but he still has to prove he can be impressive with the big boys of the NFL.

The Bad:

• Right Tackle - Holmes just looked bad I watched and rewatched him on each play. It looked like he was in the midst of a 24 hour stomach virus, the kind where you end up dehydrated with zero energy and your hair hurts. He was slow off the snap cadence, he didn't move his feet, he would stand straight up and chicken fight with DE on most plays. On other plays he was getting pushed back into the backfield or lunging to get a hand on the DE as he ran past him to the QB, on run plays I saw him get pushed to the ground. We need some help here or Matt may not make it through the season. My looking glass showed things Breaking Bad at Right Tackle. Once some DE's get some film on him... it will be all over.
  • The Ref's - Not sure how after starting on the 20 we ran 3 plays and had 3 penalties 2 against us and 1 against the Ravens and we were 1st and 10 on the 20 again.... WTF? On the play that Roddy twisted his ankle on in the endzone the DB had ahold of his chest plate of his shoulder pads pulling him down. How is that NOT a Pass Interference call? Seeing the Baltimore Defense take late cheap shots on Ryan in the Preseason with no penalty is unbelievable. I wanted our O-line to go all out and bend some knees into pretzels... but then I remembered we had Holmes over there and that wouldn't happen. There was a play where they called Alford for PI when it was just some arm jockeying as the ran down the sideline. There were another 4 or so plays that I won't mention.
  • Cloherty (#81) - Two drops that could have changed the game and should have been catches. Hate to be him when cut time comes around.

The Ugly:

• kick Coverage - Wow, two Touch Down's returned on us in two weeks. Who is our Special Teams Coach again? Nobody in there lanes, nobody breaking down to make a tackle. I see this as something that could change our season... and by change i mean bad things.
  • Kick Returns - How do we not have someone who can return a kick worth a crap. Last week we signaled fair catch with no opponents within 10 yards. This week we got one decent return in the forth quarter, but overall, our returns seem to have no real designed play. Can we get Dan Reeves son-in-law in here?

What Good, Bad and Ugly did you see in your looking glass?

Also, since the next game is Saturday night, I'm planing to do some entertaining and wanted to know what your favorite (besides beer) thing to make/serve for football games.

Thanks for reading,

Richard C. Nile

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

richardc, haven't seen these in a while. Good to have you back. As far as Holmes goes, I think he held his own in some spots and was a overwhelmed in others--pretty much what I expected. I wish we had someone w/more experience, but it is what it is.unfortunately.

richardc, haven't seen these in a while. Good to have you back. As far as Holmes goes, I think he held his own in some spots and was a overwhelmed in others--pretty much what I expected. I wish we had someone w/more experience, but it is what it is.unfortunately.

thanks. Ya, been MIA for a while. RE: Holmes... You are correct. It is what it is and you play the cards you get delt.

Part of the problem with Holmes at this point is that everyone and their brother has dissected every single play he's participated in. There's not a player on this team who has been watched more closely, and with more scrutiny than him.

Holmes has looked average on the majority of snaps, and he's faced two very good D-Lines. He's only had a couple of plays where he looked "bad", in my opinion.

He'll blow some plays this year -- and so will the other 4 OLs -- but I think overall, he'll be servicable, and won't stick out for being terrible or awesome.

Part of the problem with Holmes at this point is that everyone and their brother has dissected every single play he's participated in. There's not a player on this team who has been watched more closely, and with more scrutiny than him.

Holmes has looked average on the majority of snaps, and he's faced two very good D-Lines. He's only had a couple of plays where he looked "bad", in my opinion.

He'll blow some plays this year -- and so will the other 4 OLs -- but I think overall, he'll be servicable, and won't stick out for being terrible or awesome.

I like the way you think and I hope you are correct and I am very wrong!

1) Is your name really Richard C. Nile? Interesting! I guess being a Falcons fan could make you ... meh, you get it. 2) The O line doesn't look very good, especially on that right side. Thank God Matt Ryan isn't left handed. We REALLY need to get some cut vets in there ASAP.

1) Is your name really Richard C. Nile? Interesting! I guess being a Falcons fan could make you ... meh, you get it. 2) The O line doesn't look very good, especially on that right side. Thank God Matt Ryan isn't left handed. We REALLY need to get some cut vets in there ASAP.

1. Richard C. Nile is my pen/screen name for my GBU's. Yes being a Falcon fan will make any Richard... C-Nile. If you're a fan, I'm sure you get it.

2. Agreed, I'm hopeful that a strong run game will at least help our RT situation by slowing down the rush.

1. Richard C. Nile is my pen/screen name for my GBU's. Yes being a Falcon fan will make any Richard... C-Nile. If you're a fan, I'm sure you get it.

2. Agreed, I'm hopeful that a strong run game will at least help our RT situation by slowing down the rush.

At least that is just your screen name....you can imagine what I have gone through all my life with my real name Hugh Januts .

I don't agree with your assessment of holmes. I think Holmes biggest area to improve is staying engaged with his man and driving/moving his man. I think Holmes will be fine but still not a fan of Reynolds

Jaymadd whats gets me is alot are on Holmes after 2 whole pre season games I mean its not as though he can better right.

Pat Hill isn't a good coiach is what I'm waiting to hear next then its on up the chain to TD again round and round we go.

Jaymadd whats gets me is alot are on Holmes after 2 whole pre season games I mean its not as though he can better right.

Pat Hill isn't a good coiach is what I'm waiting to hear next then its on up the chain to TD again round and round we go.

They ignore the fact that Holmes was also going against All Pro talents in Harrison, Suggs and Dumervil, guys who terrorize the best RTs in the league.

LOL That's true. It's gotta be disconcerting to feel every eye in Falcon Fandom suddenly turn on you knowing they're watching your every move.

Oops... sorry bout that and thaks for the heads up. Still getting used to the wyswig editor here.

Thank ya sir and good to see you back around!

I just don't see the overly negative on Holmes in the Ravens game. Sure he had some mistakes due to youth but overall I thought he did really well...

They ignore the fact that Holmes was also going against All Pro talents in Harrison, Suggs and Dumervil, guys who terrorize the best RTs in the league.

In glass houses thats all I'll say I'm pretty sure even the 1st round guys like Lane Johnson & Luke Joekel will battle also against the talents you mentioned.

1. We shut down Dumervil last year with Baker/Clabo.

2. Every team has at least one pretty good pass rusher. Whoever starts at RT will never have an "easy" week.

But Von Miller sacked Matt on Bakers side. Dumervil was not shut down. He still got good pressure. That's how Denver started closing the gap. Nothing is easy in the nfl but Holmes will NOT see a Dumervil, a Suggs, or a Von Miller each week. And just like you keep saying teams will game plan to attack us from the right side, the falcons coaches will also game plan and protect that side IF they think its necessary. I rewatched the game today and 2 of SJ's biggest runs came off Holmes blocks. The plays that he had the biggest problems with was the screen when Dumervil recognized what was going on and got a nice jump from a wide 9 stance, which the BEST tackles in the game have a hard time defending. I understand your concern but at the same time if you just watched the game as a whole instead of watching Holmes thru a magnifying glass it looked like a normal falcons offense with a rejuvenated running game. The thing I like and have noticed is Matt has a nice pocket to step into as evident on the TD throw to Julio. Dumervil speed rushed, Holmes road him just enough for Matt to step up and make a great throw. Just as you saw all his bad plays I saw his good plays as well as his bad plays. With the 1st unit his good plays far outweighed his bad, which is all that will matter during the season. But he still needs work and I believe he will get better.

Edited by TheFatboi