Why Didn't We Spend Up To Our Cap? Waiver Wire? Rainy Day? Tightwad?

Nono

This is the year we are all in, Tony G, SJax--looking like the corner position will be ok

All this stuff about Bierman Manponga or Goodman blowing up the other end is just a bunch of crap isn't it TD & coach Smith? What I am saying is, and this is not another Abe thread, the Sh!t your selling about a rookie competing for and winning the other DE spot is garbage. Beirman is doing about what we expected--average rush average dropping back into coverage. Everyone knows we are poor compared to other teams at getting to the QB (4th fewest sacks-in NFL last year only Tampa Bay Jax & Chiefs had fewer).

Why do we have 7 mil. in cap unused??? Are we signing someone on the waiver wire next week? Why are we going into a season that was supposed to be "take no prisioners" with another below average pass rush??

We were 28th in sacks last year---is that ok? Least I remind you we play Brees and Newton twice amoung others Brady, Russell and RGIII---Whats the plan guys. Supposedly your the professionals yet to fix our pass rush which has been anemic for a few years (thank goodness we had Abe). What do you have aginst 2 good DE's instead of 1 good one and a bunch of hot garbage?

Don't make talk about the linebackers too--with Nichalos banged up and Dent just being average? I'm waiting to see if this kid Paul Warrilow is as good as he is playing

Edited by Nono

I agree with you nono. I felt incomplete after this offseason. This is probably our best chance at a SB, and instead of going all in, we half assed it in my opinion while also going younger. I understand we needed to go younger, but couldn't that have been done next year?

On Offense, I am confident we have made strong improvements( Sjax). Our Oline has some question marks, but overall I feel confident in the group.

On defense is another matter. In most areas we improved on Defense( or at least stayed the same).

Secondary. We basically have the same group minute RObinson and Grimes( who we all know did not play). We basically lost one mediocre starter and replaced them with two early round draft picks. We definitely improved in the secondary.

LB: We have the three same starters, and really only lost Peterson, but we have a few young guys( Worr/Bartu) who are blowing it up later in games. So really at worst we are the same as last year, but I have a feeling these young guys will make some memorable plays for us.

Dline: This is the group that scares me to death. We lost Abe and Vance Walker. We replaced abe with Osi, who I honestly do not believe is on Abe's level, but lets say Osi is equal to Abe. We still have no one on the other side. I really thought we would keep Abe and get Osi. We clearly have the cap space. Abe on one leg is better than the rest of our Dline. The playoffs proved that. We only got pressure when Abe was in making the pressure. We did get a couple late round guys, but I just have a bad feeling putting faith in late round guys who explode their first year.

Not sure... $7 million seems like a pretty large "rainy day" fund. Look for something to happen when teams start making cuts... but, I highly doubt it will be anything substantial though. Maybe a guy like Seymour has been waiting for TC to be over because he don't wanna deal and something could happen there yet, but the team as you see it is most likely going to be the one rolling into NO week one.

Players develop. If they don't develop, they're cut. Biermann isn't hot garbage. Massaquoi isn't hot garbage. And Akeem Dent has impoved a lot from year one to, now, the start of year three. The obvious answer is that the coaching staff and the front office are satisfied with what they see with the roster. And they're paid pretty well to make that assessment. I don't know what the percentage is of the 32 teams who spend the entirety of their cap space on any given year, but I would venture to say it's less than 1/4 of them. Most teams have some breathing room for emergencies. Some don't. Most do. I'm pretty sure the Falcons will be scouring the waiver wire when teams make their cuts between now and week one, just like every other team. It doesn't mean they will pick anyone up, but there's a pretty good chance they will.

Any cap money not used this year rolls over to next year- it'll be really useful then too.

You do want to reserve 3 mil or so for emergencies during the year, so it's not as big a surplus as it might seem.

Think the Falcons really like Massiquoi to break out this year.

Think the Falcons are also looking at the youngsters they have on both lines and seeing how they do during preseason- they may be much more comfortable going into the year with Goodman, Maponga, Robertson, Matthews and the UDFAs than some posters here.

so,let me see if I have this right,it is better to have a washed up old vet who struggles in the RT or RG position over a young guy getting better every week.I am sure that is the argument profoundly rehashed here every day.Some guy who can't cut it on a mediocre team over steadily improving draft picks?

So after two pre-season games the sky is falling ? We have that cap to pick up some players after pre-season, Richard Seymour wouldn't have played much in the pre season anyways. If you don't think our young DE's have a solid chance to break out, well then you haven't watched much pre-season games.

Dline: This is the group that scares me to death. We lost Abe and Vance Walker. We replaced abe with Osi, who I honestly do not believe is on Abe's level, but lets say Osi is equal to Abe. We still have no one on the other side. I really thought we would keep Abe and get Osi. We clearly have the cap space. Abe on one leg is better than the rest of our Dline. The playoffs proved that. We only got pressure when Abe was in making the pressure. We did get a couple late round guys, but I just have a bad feeling putting faith in late round guys who explode their first year.

The D-line, to me looks largely improved. The DT's are getting some push in the pocket and Corey Peters, who at times can be our best run stuffing DT is healthy and stronger this year. Also, Babineux seems like he's gotten quicker and stronger as well, constantly being in the backfield these past two pre season games. The only hole you could argue is at LDE, even then, you watch the pre season games and our DE's flash a lot. Defense will be better this year, thats because the old starters are in year two of Nolan's defense as well.

You maximize your chance of winning a Superbowl by having many chances to get there, not by going "all in" on one roll of the dice. Even if you go all in, your one ACL away from a .500 season. I think doing cap tricks to land a big name DE and OT, and every other "iffy" position we have would put us in a non-sustainable situation. We would have a great shot this year, but it could be followed by a 2007 and a slow rebuild back to where we are now. Before you try to say "the Saints just did it," keep watching the Saints. They are not as good as their billing. They will be tough for us because their the Saints and we are the Falcons...but from a football business perspective, I don't envy them in the slightest.

Why didn't we spend up to the cap? Because we didn't have to.

You don't overspend on FA's just so you can use up your cap space. If there's nobody out there worth the money they are asking for and you are happy with the guys you have, roll that money to the next year when you have to re-sign some of your better players that are due for contract extensions (Julio, Spoon, etc...).

I actually like what I've seen from our 2nd tier guys and I'd be hesitant to let any of them go in order to put a one year fix on the roster.

Adding to Socalfalc - you guys forget that we about destroyed every pocket QB we faced. Brees, Maniing, you name it. You dont stop the Read Option with pass rushers.

Yes sir and I think this came into play with the swap from Abe to Osi. Osi is considered much better against the run so I would think he would be an improvement over Abe against the read option

Ill watch our young DEs and see what they can do. We have a SB team even with last years lack if pass rush.

I won't say I believe any if our young DEs are going to break out but I do know we have Coach Nolan so we have a chance every single game.

The important thing this year is obviously what Osi and Sjax brings mentally to this team. That will determine a lot IMO.

This is the year we are all in, Tony G, SJax--looking like the corner position will be ok

All this stuff about Bierman Manponga or Goodman blowing up the other end is just a bunch of crap isn't it TD & coach Smith? What I am saying is, and this is not another Abe thread, the Sh!t your selling about a rookie competing for and winning the other DE spot is garbage. Beirman is doing about what we expected--average rush average dropping back into coverage. Everyone knows we are poor compared to other teams at getting to the QB (4th fewest sacks-in NFL last year only Tampa Bay Jax & Chiefs had fewer).

Why do we have 7 mil. in cap unused??? Are we signing someone on the waiver wire next week? Why are we going into a season that was supposed to be "take no prisioners" with another below average pass rush??

We were 28th in sacks last year---is that ok? Least I remind you we play Brees and Newton twice amoung others Brady, Russell and RGIII---Whats the plan guys. Supposedly your the professionals yet to fix our pass rush which has been anemic for a few years (thank goodness we had Abe). What do you have aginst 2 good DE's instead of 1 good one and a bunch of hot garbage?

Don't make talk about the linebackers too--with Nichalos banged up and Dent just being average? I'm waiting to see if this kid Paul Warrilow is as good as he is playing

I'd hate to see your personal finances. I'd be willing to bet you live paycheck to paycheck. Let me ask you this, if you net 60k a year, do you spend all 60k? Or do you spend 45k, and save 15 for the future? Us saving 7 million really isn't rocket science. It's an concept to grasp.

Luckily we have a GM that thinks about our future as much as he does our present. When the time comes that we have two guys taking up 40 million dollars of our cap space, we'll be in a position to afford it because our GM plans ahead. Julio is gonna cost a ton towards our cap. Not to mention, Spoon is coming up soon, and will require a nice contract. Or, do we let them walk so we can have a 2% better chance this year? Were supposed to mortgage the future (you might need to look up mortgage) and only plan to win this year?

New Orleans and Carolina have both made dumb choices cap wise, what did it get them? Both failed to make the playoffs last year, and both had to borrow from peter to pay paul, resulting in the mortgaging their future. Baltimore had to watch as two of their monster defensive player left via free agency because they couldn't afford to keep them. Because we have GM that thinks ahead, were gonna be able to keep our core while slowly adding pieces via free agency and the draft.

I think it's funny that people question and critique a GM and organization that had us within ten yards of a SB. You know jack **** about the cap (obviously), so I'd stick to questioning things that aren't so black and white. It's because of our GM that we've been in the hunt since his arrival, and for many years to come.

You know, this may have come off as harsh, but the tightwad comment got to me. Unlike a lot of teams, we have an owner that will spend any amount to win a championship, which made your comment dumb as ****.