Holmes First Half -- Ravens

vel

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work vel this looks awesome. I agree with your assessment though. I think Holmes is going to be a solid tackle for us. He has natural pass blocking ability, but he needs to be coached up in run blocking.

I think as he gets used to the grind of actual game snaps, his pass blocking will get better first. Run blocking, in my opinion, is more of an attitude. You have to want to demolish your man every snap.

I posted this in another thread. Thought I would post it here, too.

"I have an observation about Reynolds and Holmes. I notice that Reynolds curls in a lot and blocks in the middle of the line (near where the center vacates). I assume this is a designed play, but I also notice that when he vacates his spot on the line that Holmes is left to defend his left gap and numerous times the defender just blew by Holmes since he didn't have any help there. It seems to me that it would be better for Reynolds to stay at home and defend his gap. I thought Reynolds looked ok on the first series but on subsequent series he was badly out of position and was beat badly. I thought Holmes did a good job with the exception of the Elvis play, but in his defense, he had a LB to his right that ended up covering Coffman, and Elvis lined up way outside of him, almost over Coffman. I think that the TE should have chucked Elvis since he was so far outside of Holmes, or that Holmes should have been lined up a little farther outside so he could get to Elvis, because he knew what Elvis is going to do. Of course he is going to blast off the line and come for the QB, that is his job and his MO when he is lined up like that. Holmes should have been aware of that and moved back at the snap of the ball and engage him. Instead he was lined up just outside of the guard, and since Elvis is so far outside, he couldn't move out fast enough to cover him. I'm sure he learned from that."

GO FALCONS!!!

fantastic analysis Vel; i saw a lot of what you described with Holmes and yes... much can be corrected/improved, but the talent and ability is there. He can be better than Clabo IMHO.

my issue is with Reynolds, and yes.... Blalock. I didn't get the Reynolds thing last season and he has shown nothing to change my mind so far in 2013. Blalock is sometimes utter garbage! He had a poor 2012 and shows sign of 2013 being the same or worse. Granted we have faced iikely the the best DL personnel in Cinci and Baltimore in the league to date but my goodness... GR and Blalock look like scrubs far too much for my liking. They better get it going or there are some bad bad bad plays coming for this offense from time to time.

I expect an OG drafted early next year.

Good one Vel.

It is easy to say that being the preseason, a player like Suggs is not

going all out, but even then Holmes still has to do his job.

Kinda like Paul Warrilow, if you cant do it in preseason, then you basically

have little chance at showing something in the regular season.

I have been one of Holmes' biggest doubters but after the Ravens game I am not too worried about him, I am actually ok with him starting now hopefully he gets in better shape as pre season goes on.

I think the worst problem on our Oline is RG right now, I wish Reynolds had someone to push him just so we could get better at our Oline. (I did want us to take a RG early in the draft)

I am getting more excited about the Regular season now, if we can keep Matt upright we will be competitive.

I also love our Dline but I do wish we did have 1 big NT to help with run stop situations.

What I took from this game is Ravens are going to struggle against the Bengals because that team is very. very deep.

Conclusion: Holmes had an up and down game against some very good talent (Dumervil, Suggs, Ngata, Jones) but he held on and fought all half. Some of his struggles came from fatigue, which isn't surprising given this is his first time getting this much real game action. If you've played, you'll understand that football shape is a different kind of shape. He'll be fine. He just needs to keep working on his technique and run blocking. He had more bad plays, but nothing he can't work on. If he continues to work and improve game by game, he will be fine. His pass blocking continues to be his strength while he is raw in run blocking. I want to see them block after watching film and gameplanning next week.

Nice work ..

Thank you for putting so much time and effort into it :)

I have been one of Holmes' biggest doubters but after the Ravens game I am not too worried about him, I am actually ok with him starting now hopefully he gets in better shape as pre season goes on.

I think the worst problem on our Oline is RG right now, I wish Reynolds had someone to push him just so we could get better at our Oline. (I did want us to take a RG early in the draft)

I am getting more excited about the Regular season now, if we can keep Matt upright we will be competitive.

I also love our Dline but I do wish we did have 1 big NT to help with run stop situations.

What I took from this game is Ravens are going to struggle against the Bengals because that team is very. very deep.

Kane coaching Bro I think our coaching staff has done a good job.

I no you have been a huge advocate of a NT like many others but I gotta think they have gone in the direction they have for a reason and the 1s on the d-line have played the run well against 2 pretty decent RB's the last 2 weeks.

The o-line I'm not to concerned about sure that right side will take its lumps but if you have a good listen to Pat Hills interview on here a couple of days ago listening to that guy speak gives me more confidence that they'll be ok going foward.

Kane coaching Bro I think our coaching staff has done a good job.

I no you have been a huge advocate of a NT like many others but I gotta think they have gone in the direction they have for a reason and the 1s on the d-line have played the run well against 2 pretty decent RB's the last 2 weeks.

The o-line I'm not to concerned about sure that right side will take its lumps but if you have a good listen to Pat Hills interview on here a couple of days ago listening to that guy speak gives me more confidence that they'll be ok going foward.

I agree with this, the reason I am not concerned anymore with Holmes is because how much better he looked in his 2nd pre season game so I at least know he is learning from his mistakes so until he shows regression or peaking I will wait on him. RG I hope gets better but it is the weak link in our Olnie right now IMO, you can deal with speed rushers beating a Tackle a lot more compared to a DT creating havoc can truly kill an offense.

Dline I don't want a premier NT i just want one because I believe it will make our Lbers better with one eating up blocks which will give our Lbers space to roam which would make our D great IMO, I love what Peko does for the Bengals which allows Atkins to dominate.

I think I want a NT who would Rotate in games I don't want a starting one but just a guy who can come in on short yardage plays and make an impact.

In over a year I don't see much improvement. His weaknesses remain the same as on his draft scouting report.

There is a significant difference between training bullets and live bullets. Ones are used to scare, the other is used to kill. I'll just leave it at that...

There is a significant difference between training bullets and live bullets. Ones are used to scare, the other is used to kill. I'll just leave it at that...

actually who TF is dude to talk about seeing improvement. some of the things said on this site is too comical for words

I agree with this, the reason I am not concerned anymore with Holmes is because how much better he looked in his 2nd pre season game so I at least know he is learning from his mistakes so until he shows regression or peaking I will wait on him. RG I hope gets better but it is the weak link in our Olnie right now IMO, you can deal with speed rushers beating a Tackle a lot more compared to a DT creating havoc can truly kill an offense.

Dline I don't want a premier NT i just want one because I believe it will make our Lbers better with one eating up blocks which will give our Lbers space to roam which would make our D great IMO, I love what Peko does for the Bengals which allows Atkins to dominate.

I think I want a NT who would Rotate in games I don't want a starting one but just a guy who can come in on short yardage plays and make an impact.

Our tackles definitely eat blockers. Jerry always eats bodies. The problem last year was Dent taking bad angles to the ball early on and starting games in the big nickel. The other problem was health. We didn't have a healthy guy on the dline last season. Babs was still nicked, peters missed half the season and was still banged up, Jerry hurt his knee around the 3rd game of the season after having a great start. This year they all look healthy, faster and stronger. Think we'll be fine on the Dline this year. As long as health permits.

I think that its to the point now were were going with Holmes like it or leave it.

I could really care less how he plays in the preseason because we still haven't had our complete offense out there TG been out and Julio missed a game then you have Roddy leaving early with a foot injury

when matt has all those weapons defensives have to be careful when to rush because with Jackson he can chip then catch a pass same with all three of our TE's and Ewing our FB throw in Play action and it makes it even more difficult. the one thing smith may have to do is help holmes with chips and doubles.

he's like a RT version of baker not great but serviceable and may need help at times like why we drafted a 6-8 260+ TE

Edited by THE ICEMAN

I think as the season goes on he will improve and get better. Well actually thats all he can do...is get better. He is pretty dang good right now but i think by the time push comes to shove in the playoffs, he will be set and pretty dominating. Lets hope everything turns out well for him. Also i think Reynolds will get it done this year. Not saying he is gonna be incredible but good enough to get the job done. But i think we need to draft a RG in the next years draft or find a gem. Lets get it Holmes!!

this is a great write up,I expect that some very,very similar was done and handed to pat hill on all the guys on the line.this is what I would expect a line coach to have in hand to go over while watching film.Just excellent,( and they say we don't have decent fans)say what you will,we have fa that get the goods for us to dissect.you and mash and a couple others have been better than paid beat writers on breaking down the Falcons for us.Thanks again.

Yours was a pretty fair assessment though. Definitely a "glass half full" one. I was expecting you to distort reality to make Holmes look great but overall pretty fair. Good job.

much better than your- OMG OMG WE"RE DOOMED negative slant. More accurate as well.

Holmes is going to get better, Ryan can help his early struggles by getting the ball out quick, once they start game planning- they can use a back or a TE to help Holmes out if he needs it, move the pocket, use play calling to keep the D off balance.

Here's some quotes about Holmes you seemed to have missed:

From Pat Yaskinas- I know people don't respect him, but he does get access to the team we don't:

After this years draft: The fact the Falcons didn’t draft a single offensive lineman is a good indication of how they feel about Holmes, a third-round pick last year. It now is looking like Holmes is the heir apparent to right tackle Tyson Clabo, who was released.

Before the Johnson injury: Don’t read too much into the fact that Mike Johnson has received all the first-team reps at right tackle so far in camp. Johnson might have a slight edge thanks to experience, but the team still has high hopes for second-year pro Lamar Holmes, and he’s likely to be given some reps with the first team.

After Ravens game: The offensive line was far from perfect and Lamar Holmes still needs plenty of coaching at right tackle. But the line did a very nice job protecting Ryan for a long time as he found Jones on the touchdown pass.

From DLed- same thing applies from Pat Y.:

Falcons tackle Lamar Holmes coming on strong

after Ravens game: Right tackle Lamar Holmes was much improved.

After Ravens game:

Smith said that Atlanta's young offensive linemen, including right tackle candidates Lamar Holmes and undrafted rookie Ryan Schraeder, were better.

"When you have some explosive runs, you are controlling the line of scrimmage," Smith said. "I thought both of them took a step forward. This is going to be a big week for them because we're going to play our starters . . . into the third quarter.

From Matt Ryan:

"I think Lamar has done a really good job this camp and really this offseason, too. He's gotten himself into really good shape."

“The one thing I think everyone needs to understand about our movement is that we have drafted young guys to learn and be schooled and learn along the way,’’ general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. “This is the time where they need to step up. This is their time. We needed to do this. It’s time for our young guys to develop and we have faith in them.’

From Smith:

Falcons coach Mike Smith said he's [DLED left out a word, judging by context, word was confident] Holmes (6-6, 333), a third-round pick from Southern Miss in 2012, can handle the job.

"He's a big, athletic tackle," Smith said. "That's what you want. There are very athletic pass rushers we're going to face all season long. That's probably his strength. He's very athletic."

Lots of positives from Ryan, TD and Smith- yes, you can claim: coach speak, GM speak, but the situation is not nearly as dire as you make it out ot be.

When was the last time Ryan or the coaches threw someone under the bus? It's been a long time.

It seems Holmes is the golden child on these boards even though he's easily the worst player on offense. Reminds me of JA98 or P Jerry early on. The board loved those guys at the beginning. He'll no longer be the golden child by the end of the season. And I'll say I told you so. I'm sick of TD making O-line cuts when he has no suitable replacement. He did it with Dahl, now he did it with Clabo. We suffered at RG last year, and we will suffer at RT this year.

Falcons will be fine at RT- Holmes is going to grow into a fine Olineman. You thought that Holmes played horribly first preseason game-to the point where he was in danger of being cut- Falcons gave him a high grade.

You claimed he played poorly in the second game- Falcons said he was much improved.

You've decided that Holmes is a bad player and filter everything through that perspective. You ignore every positive about him, there's no reason to take your opinion about Holmes seriously

If the Falcons didn't think Holmes was the guy,

they could have made cap room some other way than cutting Clabo,

they could have drafted another tackle this year,

they could have brought in all the FA RTs after Johnson's injury,

they could have given Schreader first team reps in the game.

They didn't do any of those things. They cut Clabo, didn't bring in any other RTs- either through the draft or FA and didn't give Schreader any first team snaps in the game. They've repeatedly said how much they like Holmes talent.

You keep acting like Holmes not playing at an all pro level in his first professional games is the kiss of death to the Falcons super bowl chances, that's just no so.

This is like the JA98 situation. After a year some people were saying that JA98 sucked and were getting bashed by most of the board. Over time the board came around and realized that yes, JA98 sucks yet there were still a few defending him. Gazoo was defending JA98 even after he was cut lol... I see the same thing happening here. Holmes just doesn't have it man. I had hope when he was drafted but it's been over a year and the guy still makes a ton of mistakes run blocking, moves like a sloth, and gets winded after a few plays. It doesn't look good.

Can we at least give Holmes a year starting before we pronounce him the worst ever?