Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willy Mo

Football Talk

46 posts in this topic

I wonder why the Falcons have settled on Quizz at KR? He's not fast enough. Antoine Smith is much faster. The position isn't nearly as important as it used to be, since the kickoff is usually a touchback now, (which I hate), but the occassional return still happens. Thoughts?

Maybe the coaches trust Jacquizz to hang onto the ball. I don't know. Quizz doesn't have blazing speed but he's done a nice job on returning kicks. Last year he averaged 25.7 yards a return and had a long of 77. He had 2 returns over 40 yards and 19 over 20 yards. Pretty freaking good if you ask me. Jacquizz was 10th in the NFL in return average among guys that had at least 20 returns.

Mega Flare likes this

Well, hopefully we got it figured out because we see pretty much every mobile QB in the league this year... I think it all boils down to discipline and once you got that down you'll be fine. NFL guys have just been so used to running right to the ball for years it will just take a little bit of time to adjust.

I agree

Maybe the coaches trust Jacquizz to hang onto the ball. I don't know. Quizz doesn't have blazing speed but he's done a nice job on returning kicks. Last year he averaged 25.7 yards a return and had a long of 77. He had 2 returns over 40 yards and 19 over 20 yards. Pretty freaking good if you ask me. Jacquizz was 10th in the NFL in return average among guys that had at least 20 returns.

I think that mixed with his body type. It seems like his short/stoutness is conducive for avoiding injury. We know how Smitty is about that. Quizz is a little tank that can take a hit and not get hurt.

Mega Flare likes this

The way I see it, this will be the most explosive and dynamic offense the franchise has ever had. Ryan is entering his prime and will be better than ever. Julio will make the transition into elite status, and I think the fabulous 3 veterans (Jackson/Gonzalez/White) all play at a Pro Bowl level. With that said, we are fallible on offense. HD83 has yet to show that he is a productive slot receiver, but has shown optimism so far in the preseason. Drew Davis has the potential to see a lot of playing time as well with the little sample size we've seen.

On the offensive line, it only takes one lineman missing a block to turn a 40 yard pass into a sack or a batted ball-INT. Blalock and Baker are solid and shouldn't be a problem when it comes to the left side. Konz was a 1st round talent at center who will thrive at his original position. Reynolds and Holmes (or perhaps somebody else) on the right side is the biggest worry altogether. I still think that Reynolds is an ideal tackle with his 6'7 height, but has shown to be passable at the guard position. Holmes is extremely raw and may take a bit to get used to the starting position, but the undrafted FA out of Kansas has kept him uncomfortable so far this preseason. If Reynolds and Holmes can play at an average level at the very least, then I think we'll be okay.

Defensively, I think the transition from Abraham to Osi is precious little. Biermann needs to step up and prove that he can be a starting defensive end, and that starts with being a two-dimensional player. Babineaux has been an anchor on our defense for the past decade, and I don't see that changing much this year. Weatherspoon has the potential to have his best season of his career so far if he can stay healthy. Judging off of the past, that's a big if. Nicholas is one of the weakest links on our defense, but is palpable against the run. The way I see it, Warrilow(sp) makes the team as depth and shows productivity at all 3 LB positions. Schiller and Banks stay on the practice squad, and Joplo Bartu makes the team. I've followed him since Texas State and he hasn't disappointed so far.

As for our defensive backs, I think they are easily our strongest asset on defense. DeCoud and Moore are one of the best safety tandems in football, and will continue to play centerfield at an above average level. Asante Samuel is past his prime, but is still one of the better corners in the NFC South. Robert McClain is my favorite player on this team because he's the perfect example of what it takes to be successful in the NFL. Last year he surprised everybody as a nickel corner, and I only see him going up this year. At his age, we will have a deadly trio of corners for the next decade. Trufant and Alford will switch off and on across Asante, and make what was once our weakest position on defense our strongest. Trufant has the potential to be a shutdown guy, and with Alford's speed and athleticism, could potentially have a Janoris Jenkins-esque rookie year. Either way, I see Trufant with a higher floor and Alford with a higher ceiling. The CB position will be the most fun position to analyze this year IMO.

With all of that said, I think we have improved dramatically. Last year we had a 28th ranked running game with Turner and Mike Cox in the backfield. S-Jax will turn out to be one of the most important pickups our franchise has seen, albeit it only for a few years. If Bradie Ewing can stay healthy (a big if), he will provide a prototypical lead blocker like Wisonsin fans saw in college. If our offensive line can hold up and give Ryan time to throw the ball, we could see MVP type seasons from both Matt Ryan and a healthy Julio Jones. Defensively, I think Mike Nolan is going to have the same mindset as last year. With 6 playmakers at defensive back and Weatherspoon anchoring our linebackers, I think our defensive unit has the potential to be a turnover machine. Best case scenario I know, but hopefully our defense won't be on the field very much. Special teams wise, hopefully we can find an improvement over fair catch Franks. If so, Bryant and Bosher will continue to give us exactly what you need at the kicker and punter positions.

Season prediction: 12-4. Super Bowl birth. I'm not confident this is the year we take home a Lombardi, but I think making the big game is certainly not out of the question. As of right now in the preseason, I'm predicting a Falcon vs. Bronco Super Bowl. 1998 repeat with the final result hopefully being reversed.

The way I see it, this will be the most explosive and dynamic offense the franchise has ever had. Ryan is entering his prime and will be better than ever. Julio will make the transition into elite status, and I think the fabulous 3 veterans (Jackson/Gonzalez/White) all play at a Pro Bowl level. With that said, we are fallible on offense. HD83 has yet to show that he is a productive slot receiver, but has shown optimism so far in the preseason. Drew Davis has the potential to see a lot of playing time as well with the little sample size we've seen.

On the offensive line, it only takes one lineman missing a block to turn a 40 yard pass into a sack or a batted ball-INT. Blalock and Baker are solid and shouldn't be a problem when it comes to the left side. Konz was a 1st round talent at center who will thrive at his original position. Reynolds and Holmes (or perhaps somebody else) on the right side is the biggest worry altogether. I still think that Reynolds is an ideal tackle with his 6'7 height, but has shown to be passable at the guard position. Holmes is extremely raw and may take a bit to get used to the starting position, but the undrafted FA out of Kansas has kept him uncomfortable so far this preseason. If Reynolds and Holmes can play at an average level at the very least, then I think we'll be okay.

Defensively, I think the transition from Abraham to Osi is precious little. Biermann needs to step up and prove that he can be a starting defensive end, and that starts with being a two-dimensional player. Babineaux has been an anchor on our defense for the past decade, and I don't see that changing much this year. Weatherspoon has the potential to have his best season of his career so far if he can stay healthy. Judging off of the past, that's a big if. Nicholas is one of the weakest links on our defense, but is palpable against the run. The way I see it, Warrilow(sp) makes the team as depth and shows productivity at all 3 LB positions. Schiller and Banks stay on the practice squad, and Joplo Bartu makes the team. I've followed him since Texas State and he hasn't disappointed so far.

As for our defensive backs, I think they are easily our strongest asset on defense. DeCoud and Moore are one of the best safety tandems in football, and will continue to play centerfield at an above average level. Asante Samuel is past his prime, but is still one of the better corners in the NFC South. Robert McClain is my favorite player on this team because he's the perfect example of what it takes to be successful in the NFL. Last year he surprised everybody as a nickel corner, and I only see him going up this year. At his age, we will have a deadly trio of corners for the next decade. Trufant and Alford will switch off and on across Asante, and make what was once our weakest position on defense our strongest. Trufant has the potential to be a shutdown guy, and with Alford's speed and athleticism, could potentially have a Janoris Jenkins-esque rookie year. Either way, I see Trufant with a higher floor and Alford with a higher ceiling. The CB position will be the most fun position to analyze this year IMO.

With all of that said, I think we have improved dramatically. Last year we had a 28th ranked running game with Turner and Mike Cox in the backfield. S-Jax will turn out to be one of the most important pickups our franchise has seen, albeit it only for a few years. If Bradie Ewing can stay healthy (a big if), he will provide a prototypical lead blocker like Wisonsin fans saw in college. If our offensive line can hold up and give Ryan time to throw the ball, we could see MVP type seasons from both Matt Ryan and a healthy Julio Jones. Defensively, I think Mike Nolan is going to have the same mindset as last year. With 6 playmakers at defensive back and Weatherspoon anchoring our linebackers, I think our defensive unit has the potential to be a turnover machine. Best case scenario I know, but hopefully our defense won't be on the field very much. Special teams wise, hopefully we can find an improvement over fair catch Franks. If so, Bryant and Bosher will continue to give us exactly what you need at the kicker and punter positions.

Season prediction: 12-4. Super Bowl birth. I'm not confident this is the year we take home a Lombardi, but I think making the big game is certainly not out of the question. As of right now in the preseason, I'm predicting a Falcon vs. Bronco Super Bowl. 1998 repeat with the final result hopefully being reversed.

Good post man.

This is what Pure Football is all about. Good post.

blkbigdog35 and Mega Flare like this

Yep , a disciplined line would do it. That and making sure you punish the QB every time he becomes eligible. Make the coaches regret they went into the option by destroying their QB every time.

That's right you have to punish that QB whenever he decides to keep it on that read option.

Mega Flare likes this

Great post and this is what we need to stay constant in pure football.

Mega Flare likes this

Yep , a disciplined line would do it. That and making sure you punish the QB every time he becomes eligible. Make the coaches regret they went into the option by destroying their QB every time.

Exactly. You've got to make the QB pay for running the ball.

Mega Flare likes this

This, but I worry that Smitty just isn't the kind of guy that would do this. He's too timid and scared of penalties. I don't see him risking a 15 yard penalty to make a statement.

Mega Flare likes this

This, but I worry that Smitty just isn't the kind of guy that would do this. He's too timid and scared of penalties. I don't see him risking a 15 yard penalty to make a statement.

That is very true. He has adapted each year so maybe he will be a little less anal. I love being the least penalized team though.

@Monoxide, great post,

I've never jumped on a rookie bandwagon before, much less an UDFA but Worillow has become one of my favorite players.

@Monoxide, great post,

I've never jumped on a rookie bandwagon before, much less an UDFA but Worillow has become one of my favorite players.

Yup, I'm with you there... I watch him for just a few plays and this kid has the "IT" that you want your LB to have. And he is the type of person I want my "football gods" to be like!! Congrats to PW for his effort and performances to date; keep on "Bringing It!" bro'!!! cool.png

It only takes once.... ph34r.png

Post of the Year