Could Drew Davis Be Our #3 Receiver?

Don't get me wrong, I love Harry Douglas for what he's done for us but he doesn't seem to be as much of a gamebreaker as Davis. The slot receiver position is usually reserved for quicker, shiftier guys who can make moves but since his knee injury in 09, I haven't seen Douglas do anything of the sort. Davis is bigger but seems to make better use of his opportunities when he gets them. Mike Smith is loyal to vets so he probably won't do it but I wouldn't mind seeing Drew Davis as our slot man.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade HD if he got any value. If not cut him. HD = clumsy, too weak when defenders engages, drops balls.

Doubt this will happen, but I could see more 2 TE sets and either Coffman or Toilio (probably Coffman) getting more looks instead of our slot guy. Better formation anyway IMO.

Chase Coffman looks like he did at Mizzu

I doubt hd goes anywhere, hes a solid slot guy. But dont get me wrong davis was balling last night and i think he could be consistent with that play but right now id keep both these guys. I think douglas and davis could be productive if roddy or julio went down. I like what im seeing with our recieving core and i dont really see why some say we have bad depth. Now after davis im not sure who to put on the roster, johnson or james rodgers would be my first choices as jackson wasnt very great last night

Doubt this will happen, but I could see more 2 TE sets and either Coffman or Toilio (probably Coffman) getting more looks instead of our slot guy. Better formation anyway IMO.

Chase Coffman looks like he did at Mizzu

im loving coffman but our blocking from the TE is pretty poorous at this point. Ive expected more from lolo but the QBs dont seem to be confident in the guy.

I haven't seen anything from Drew Davis that made me think "gamebreaker". Please provide examples of plays that make you think otherwise. Not that i dislike him because i think he has obviously grown more than any other WR besides Julio, but i don't see any "gamebreaker' in him yet.

I don't think he takes HD's spot because HD has him in the quicks department. It is obvious to me that Davis has separated himself from Kevin Cone though. He has clearly taken the next step. I do feel very comfortable if a WR is to go down, that Davis would step in and be reliable.

Also agree with Salmon that Coffman should take some targets away from HD.

Edited by Clark Kent™

Every year is the same story with Douglas. He's gonna break out with a monster season. I can name a bunch of guys that were number 3 or 4wrs and became solid starters. Harry hasn't done that. God forbid something serious happens to roddy or Julio and we have to rely on Douglas. I like the kid a lot, he just hasn't lived up to the hype.

Smitty and TD are loyal to a fault at times. I don't see them shying away from Douglas. Keep this in mind, Julio roddy and tg is demanding sui much attention that any decent number 3 should look like a hofer playing behind those guys. If you can't beat a one on one regularly, or find the soft spot in a zone d when you have 3 hof type guys around you demanding attention, something is wrong.

Sorry for the grammar, on my phone with Swype.

I haven't seen anything from Drew Davis that made me think "gamebreaker". Please provide examples of plays that make you think otherwise. Not that i dislike him because i think he has obviously grown more than any other WR besides Julio, but i don't see any "gamebreaker' in him yet.

I don't think he takes HD's spot because HD has him in the quicks department. It is obvious to me that Davis has separated himself from Kevin Cone though. He has clearly taken the next step. I do feel very comfortable if a WR is to go down, that Davis would step in and be reliable.

Also agree with Salmon that Coffman should take some targets away from HD.

Davis isn't Julio or Roddy by any means but he's more of a game breaker than HD by far. Last year, Harry Douglas only had one touchdown and the only other notable plays he made over the course of the year in my opinion were the catch off the helmet of the Raiders player and the catch in the NFC Championship game where he fell down. Drew Davis had the same amount of TDs in the one game he played (in Harry's exact spot).

When Roddy went out yesterday and you saw Harry line up in his spot, did you legitimately believe they'd go to him let alone that he'd make a catch and do something with it? Maybe it's because he's small but when Harry lines up on the outside I just chalk him up as a scratch because I just don't see him doing anything out there. Drew Davis has shown (albeit in preseason) that he can run those routes and win matchups out there. I think you've got to keep talent like that on the field.

Davis isn't Julio or Roddy by any means but he's more of a game breaker than HD by far. Last year, Harry Douglas only had one touchdown and the only other notable plays he made over the course of the year in my opinion were the catch off the helmet of the Raiders player and the catch in the NFC Championship game where he fell down. Drew Davis had the same amount of TDs in the one game he played (in Harry's exact spot).

When Roddy went out yesterday and you saw Harry line up in his spot, did you legitimately believe they'd go to him let alone that he'd make a catch and do something with it? Maybe it's because he's small but when Harry lines up on the outside I just chalk him up as a scratch because I just don't see him doing anything out there. Drew Davis has shown (albeit in preseason) that he can run those routes and win matchups out there. I think you've got to keep talent like that on the field.

If we are talking about playing WR on the outside then yes I agree that Davis would hold up better on the outside than HD. He is a bigger target and may have better straight line speed than HD does. I know HD has had plenty of opportunities to be a #2 WR when Jenkins was here and he never took advantage. I don't think he can consistently hold up on the outside.

At the same time, if we are talking specifically in the slot, i think HD would be a better option than Drew Davis.