Mash-Report Final Day And Falcon In The Sky?

Guest fibonacci

That is very cool.

any osprey is amazing. I would love to actually own one. But my Cheetoh would love it for a day. (then again I have seen some Falcons destroy ducks. and I would post a video but my thread would get deleted for supoorting how cruel our nature is. LOL)

Just to offset the seahawk sighting and restore balance to the universe, here is a pic of a falcon just hanging out by the tennis courts at my old condo, snapped in 2010 with an old camera phone.

IMG00102-20101019-1327.jpg

Wish I had had a better camera so you could see the markings. That magnificent creature was quite a sight to behold in person.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fibonacci

Just to offset the seahawk sighting and restore balance to the universe, here is a pic of a falcon just hanging out by the tennis courts at my old condo, snapped in 2010 with an old camera phone.

IMG00102-20101019-1327.jpg

Wish I had had a better camera so you could see the markings. That magnificent creature was quite a sight to behold in person.

I was golfing once. I heard a scretch above my head and about pissed myself. (you know cause you're all quiet during your swing. :D )

Anyhow, I looked up and there she was looking down at me and wanting me to hurry up and leave her alone.

The place told me when I got back that it is a female and she visits a lot.

it could be a juvenile red tailed hawk or a sharp shinned hawk or even a coopers hawk,though that is a bit out of it's regular range.Definitely a raptor though! nice shot mash!

Looks like a red tailed hawk to me. Doubt it's an osprey - they tend to live closer to the water. Not impossible that one could have drifted up from the coast, but there are red tailed hawks all over the area (had a mated pair of them in the woods outside my apartment in Athens when I was in school - beautiful birds!) and it's more likely that that was one.

Looks like a red tailed hawk to me. Doubt it's an osprey - they tend to live closer to the water. Not impossible that one could have drifted up from the coast, but there are red tailed hawks all over the area (had a mated pair of them in the woods outside my apartment in Athens when I was in school - beautiful birds!) and it's more likely that that was one.

Red tailed hawks have red tail with no pattern which you can clearly see the pattern in pic. Ospreys have with undersides from under head, armpits, and all belly, The red tail hawk just has a white chest. Further, the marking on the wings.

Summer is breeding time which is why they are further inshore than normal.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/osprey/id

Color Pattern

Ospreys are brown above and white below, and overall they are whiter than most raptors. From below, the wings are mostly white with a prominent dark patch at the wrists. The head is white with a broad brown stripe through the eye. Juveniles have white spots on the back and buffy shading on the breast.

Guest fibonacci

LOL

"But I already bought birdseed for the Falcon!"

I was wondering if that video was going to go unnoticed.

Did anyone else notice what her last name was? Spooner. LOL Weatherspoons mommie maybe?

Mrs. Spooner is about to snap on the agent just like when Manning met spoon.

Atlanta-Falcons-Sean-Weatherspoon-Celebrates-in-front-of-Peyton-Manning.gif

and here is the video just in case no one saw it.

Also I wonder if Herb is ok. or if he has some really awesome selective hearing.

Guest fibonacci

red-tailed-hawk-81331.jpg

Red tail Hawk

osprey_6.jpg

Falcon

2cyfk3c.jpg

the bird at camp.

Osprey-overhead.jpg

and then you got a seahawk.

I do think it closer to a Seahawk. the markings are darker and where they should be. Also the seahawks head has more wrap around of the black.

The Falcon is very close as well. but it is not as dark as a seahawk would be. And the black on the Falcons head does not wrap back as much.

As for a Red tail Hawk, they would not be as dark under the wings like the one in my picture. Plus I see them all the time because my father in law has a nest at his house. And I can always see the other neath and it is never dark in the areas like it is in my picture.

So I believe it is a Seahawk but the falcon is a very close second. While I do not believe it is a hawk.

Looks like a red tailed hawk to me. Doubt it's an osprey - they tend to live closer to the water. Not impossible that one could have drifted up from the coast...

I've seen ospreys while fishing a fresh water lake in a subdivision in Newnan, among other places. They don't exclusively live in coastal regions, nor even within immediate proximity to a body of water, large or small.

Thanks guys and everyone else.

and I am not going to lie. but I am glad it is finally over. working 12 hour days has taken a beatingonme.

- I leave at 11 or 12.

- get home until 7 or 7:30.

- skip dinner and say a quick hey to the wife.

- get my pictures edited and do my write up

- and usually around 11 I am finally complete. (today was different because I did a quickie. wink.png )

but doing that is WOW. so to hear y'all say thanks means a lot.

Thank you to y'all and everyone else. I am very happy to do this for everyone who cannot make camp. (and also those who canmake it but like reading other thoughts.) thanks to all.

That's not a Turkey Buzzard, they are huge, looks more like some kind of Hawk.

nd then you got a seahawk.

I do think it closer to a Seahawk. the markings are darker and where they should be. Also the seahawks head has more wrap around of the black.

The Falcon is very close as well. but it is not as dark as a seahawk would be. And the black on the Falcons head does not wrap back as much.

As for a Red tail Hawk, they would not be as dark under the wings like the one in my picture. Plus I see them all the time because my father in law has a nest at his house. And I can always see the other neath and it is never dark in the areas like it is in my picture.

So I believe it is a Seahawk but the falcon is a very close second. While I do not believe it is a hawk.

Sorry Mash, but you're correct, it is an osprey, aka Seahawk. The clear giveaway that makes it indisputable is that the head I white with brown stripe down sides, so where a falcons and other hawks heads are brown with white on bottom, the Osprey has white ON TOP OF HEAD AND BOTTOM. If you blow up and look closely at head, you will see top of head has white on it. Still a cool bird to spot and from what I read, Atlanta is on edge of their summer breeding ground. So while around, they are still fairly rare, so not a very common sight.

Guest fibonacci

Sorry Mash, but you're correct, it is an osprey, aka Seahawk. The clear giveaway that makes it indisputable is that the head I white with brown stripe down sides, so where a falcons and other hawks heads are brown with white on bottom, the Osprey has white ON TOP OF HEAD AND BOTTOM. If you blow up and look closely at head, you will see top of head has white on it. Still a cool bird to spot and from what I read, Atlanta is on edge of their summer breeding ground. So while around, they are still fairly rare, so not a very common sight.

I did not know it was breeding season. thanks.

Guest fibonacci

I've seen ospreys while fishing a fresh water lake in a subdivision in Newnan, among other places. They don't exclusively live in coastal regions, nor even within immediate proximity to a body of water, large or small.

I have to take a look now when I go out fishing.

I know my father in laws has a very small pond. And that is where the family of Hawks are at.

side note: One day I was cutting grass around his lake, and the hawk flew down and started trying to kill a snake. Sadly the snake got away before I could get a picture of it.

- but what was crazy is when they are above your head 30 feet the look big. But when they are on the ground and not far away from you.... they look huge. (and that is for a hawk)

I did not know it was breeding season. thanks.

I didn't either, just was curious enough to search around on Internet since I also thought it looked like a Falcon and when pulling up common birds in Atlanta, it brought up a few bird watching forum boards mentioning the Osprey and then a few articles saying they are in breeding season and inland more. actually, migration season is next and it shows them across entire continent of US, so I guess you can find a Seahawk in Nebraska around winter time, weird. Lol

Guest F_A_1_C_O_N

Big A is back or is this a new one?

This guy is a joke on here. I did not know he was still on until you replied to him in a quote.

Mashburn you have a stalker. It seems everytime I read your topics some troll comes out.

Mike Smith let me know that the collective bargaining did away with morning practices. (So thank you players union for jacking it up for the fans to be able to come out in the morning when it is cooled down. And why the heck do they want to play at the hottest part of the day?)

It's good training. If you can get used to playing in the heat then you have an advantage against other teams.

Falconer here, just chiming in about the bird photos.

It's definitely not a buzzard. It looks like an immature osprey. Unfortunately not a falcon but still awesome!

7214063958_2e1f9e31df_z.jpg

Notice the white patch on the head.

2cyfk3c.jpg

The photo at the tennis court is a red-tailed hawk. They are relatively common but still amazing birds.

Go Falcons!

Falconer here, just chiming in about the bird photos.

It's definitely not a buzzard. It looks like an immature osprey. Unfortunately not a falcon but still awesome!

7214063958_2e1f9e31df_z.jpg

Notice the white patch on the head.

2cyfk3c.jpg

The photo at the tennis court is a red-tailed hawk. They are relatively common but still amazing birds.

Go Falcons!

You're my hero. A falconer and a Falcons fan. It's poetic. lol

Guest fibonacci

Hey Mash thanks so much for all the incredible work you put in to bring this camp as close as possible to all of us.

I'm working on another blog that will bring it all together.

(but after some things in my personal life).

I'm curious to see how much of this I was spot on about with my thoughts.

Also I did not see worrilow coming up.