Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J-Wall

Abraham's Deal With Cardinals

The only way I ever wanted Osi here, is with Abe on the other side. I'm not excited about this defense at all. Favorite DC of all time, but this crap looks wonky. No DL or LB.

Yeah I kinda agree. There way too much wishing and hoping with the defense and that's usually not a good sign.

Who says there'll be a front 7 we were in the nickel pretty much as the base last year.

Hence why I mentioned having the speed on the outside the ability to go man there and move guys like Mclain DeCoud & Moore around it makes us more versatile how we go after guys in pass rush and in coverage.Speed is going to be the key in my eyes and how quickly these Rooks pickup Nolan's scheme.

I feel once eveyone is locked in I really think this defense will click.

You make Moore and DeCoud pass rushers or near the line. TEs aren't covered by them and our Lbers cannot man TEs....

Which is why you see them running open, DeCoud is best used deep help and Moore in the middle of the field just behind the Lbers.

Make them move and those spots can be exploited.

**** that would have been great to have Osi and Abe on the field for 3rd down.

I agree! Man I just sent my brother the same text the other day how great it would have been to have the both of them on the field at the same time.!

Pass rush is overrated in the NFL. The rules and play books favor the offenses. Aaron Rodgers was sacked 52(!) times last year and still had one of the greatest statistical seasons of all time.

The rams and broncos tied for the league lead in team sacks with 52. The rams stayed home in January and the broncos D got slapped by the Ravens. They lost not just because their D wasn't up to the task but because they had no faith in their all world QB to win it for them.

Also, this statement says football is a joke. Period.

Ugh. That's a good deal. Wish we had kept him. Osi AND Abe would have been great. Instead we only replaced Abe with Osi. The front four will either be the same or only marginally better. Maybe even a little worse. Who knows. We'll see how things pan out. At least it'll be interesting to see how our revamped secondary and return game goes with Trufant and Alford. I wonder what our cap will look like once we find out the details of Ryan's contract and if we'll pick up anyone else. The season's starting real soon though.

Ugh. That's a good deal. Wish we had kept him. Osi AND Abe would have been great. Instead we only replaced Abe with Osi. The front four will either be the same or only marginally better. Maybe even a little worse. Who knows. We'll see how things pan out. At least it'll be interesting to see how our revamped secondary and return game goes with Trufant and Alford. I wonder what our cap will look like once we find out the details of Ryan's contract and if we'll pick up anyone else. The season's starting real soon though.

I have my doubts about it being better, I'm hoping for same at least.

Abe wouldn't have taken the deal he got from the Cardinals if the Falcons had offered it. Abe mostly took the high road, but he was pretty offended by the way the Falcons treated him, and I believe rightfully so.

I'm of the theory, and its my theory alone cause most think its nutty, that Abe hurt our pass rush more than helped it. He was a one man show. He was moved around the line giving him the best chance at success. This threw off Edwards who always rushed from one side and stunted the growth of Sid and Kroy cause they couldn't settle into one spot. I think if we focus on getting more pressure from more places we will succeed. Teams slowed down Abe there was no one ready to come from a different angle. They never got comfortable.

I think that is a pretty valid point and could explain why no matter who else we had at DE they could never get consistent pressure. Regardless we relied to much on Abe he disappears for long stretches of the season and is always spent by the time the playoff roll around. He was a great Falcon but I'm glad we moved on and are addressing our pass rush with younger players and not focusing on a single player to get sacks.

I do have one criticism of John Abraham. He has a terrible agent.

He negotiated a terrible deal for Abraham last year that left him exposed, and I feel certain that Abraham turned down better deals that he eventually signed earlier in the free agent process from teams that are legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

Dude got some bad advice.

So that's too bad.

Man..... $3 mill a year? That's all? TD passed up on that so that hopefully this young D-line steps up? I'm no TD basher but dayum......Why not have the Abe/Osi combo and hope the young D-line steps up?

Gonna be terrible going to the Falcons/Cardinal game this year and seeing the predator on the other team.

Abe was a big factor in the Falcons win last year...hope he's not this season in favor of AZ. At least he didn't go to a NFCS team.

What's bizzare to me about the Abe deal was it almost seems like Falcons held it against Abe that he was hurt in the playoffs - when it was 100% Mike Smith's fault that Abe was injured due to Smith STUPIDLY playing Abe in 4th quarter of meaningless Tampa in week#17. I believe Falcons defense would have looked FAR BETTER in playoffs with a 100% healthy Abe. Abe generated just enough pass rush/pressure for Mike Nolan to use his blitzes and schemes - without it, Nolan was neutered and Falcons weak defensive front 7 was exposed.

Man..... $3 mill a year? That's all? TD passed up on that so that hopefully this young D-line steps up? I'm no TD basher but dayum......Why not have the Abe/Osi combo and hope the young D-line steps up?

I don't think that number was ever possible for us.

ETA, after a month or two of being cut, I don't think anything we offered would have brought him back, unless it was a truly stupid amount.

What's bizzare to me about the Abe deal was it almost seems like Falcons held it against Abe that he was hurt in the playoffs - when it was 100% Mike Smith's fault that Abe was injured due to Smith STUPIDLY playing Abe in 4th quarter of meaningless Tampa in week#17. I believe Falcons defense would have looked FAR BETTER in playoffs with a 100% healthy Abe. Abe generated just enough pass rush/pressure for Mike Nolan to use his blitzes and schemes - without it, Nolan was neutered and Falcons weak defensive front 7 was exposed.

Abe disappears ALOT and has never come up big in the playoffs. If he has to be benched for entire games and be coddled to be effective and injury free then it is time to move on. We got a younger vet with rings and we have an entire stable of really young DE's waiting to get some playing time. It was time to move on.

I think that is a pretty valid point and could explain why no matter who else we had at DE they could never get consistent pressure. Regardless we relied to much on Abe he disappears for long stretches of the season and is always spent by the time the playoff roll around. He was a great Falcon but I'm glad we moved on and are addressing our pass rush with younger players and not focusing on a single player to get sacks.

I think the "D" and Abe did enough last year to help the Falcons secure a 13-3 record and home advantage throughout the p/o.

To bad a "D" player can't get credit for being a top performer in most box scores...I can envision at least 3 losses last year w/o ABE.

+1 QFT

I'm going to miss Abe and that contract is a steal for his play on the field.

This is purely speculative and moreso something I wonder rather than believe. But I wonder if the coaching and FO were disappointed in his mentoring of the younger guys. A lot of what I heard about Osi from his teammates was that Osi made them better players. We have not really seen any of our young guys step up over the years so it makes me wonder. I know Abe had his issues with alcohol as a younger player so it seems to reason that he would be more occupied with keeping himself where he wants to be rather than helping others get to where he is (and rightfully so, a person struggling with issues should focus their attention on getting and keeping themselves right).

I'm not knocking Abe if this is true because he did get himself right, which is the most important thing for any individual. I'm just wondering if the coaches wanted him to be more of a mentor or player coach for the DL moreso than he was. It's the only reasonable justification I can see for releasing him after a 10 sack season for Osi.